Sponsored by:

OT Heading Germany in September...interestest in the "must see/do" list

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT Heading Germany in September...interestest in the "must see/do" list

We are making our first trip to Germany in September. I am interested in hearing from those of you who have been there.

We are planning to visit the Porsche and BMW Museums. Any insight on what to see and do from the forum is welcome.

Bob-
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
We are planning to visit the Porsche and BMW Museums.
Definitely those and the MB museum (I've only been to the BMW museum so far).

Augustiner Keller in München...and all other beer gardens.

Deutsche Technical Museum in München.

The lakes and mountains along the southern border.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ring...
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en.html

Drive if you have the oppourtunity. Rent a car too, Freddy and Ralph can help>
http://www.rent4ring.de

Just did it, incredible experience!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Andre'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that "car stuff" is nice and well but how about some true "cultural" sightseeing? City of Dresden for instance - always worth a visit, and my favorite (Unesco World Heritage)! The newly rebuild "Frauenkirche", Semper Opera, Dresden Zwinger, and much more. Take time to visit Prague the "Golden City" - not far away in the Cech Republik. Lot's of smaller cities - Goslar, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Regensburg...

See attached link to get some ideas:

http://www.germany.travel/en/kartena...n%2Findex.html

Rent you a 997 911 Turbo and travel from destination to destination on the "Autobahn" - that would be my recommendation!

Have fun, and enjoy your vacation!

Andre'
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 for Dresden in combination with Prag. I took some American friends there 2 years ago at exactly the same time and they are still talking about their memories.

You might look at Trier, too if you like wine and history. Mainz is another great place and it is close to Frankfurt where you might arrive. It can be combined with Trier which is just an extra hour by car.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

How long are you staying, and who are you bringing? Germany has a lot to offer, but it is larger then it seems.
For example, If you are bringing your wife and daughters who could careless about cars there is tons of non-auto related stuff to see.
Also, if you have some special thing you would like to see, like a certain famous castle, that would be helpful to know.

For the visit to Porsche, I recommend going on T-Th and doing the factory tour also. Unfortunately, the factory is only open M-Th, and the Museum only T-Sat. So if you want to see both... The good news is the factory tour is free, and with your PCA membership the Museum is 50% off. I would recommending booking the tour soon as the English tours fill up fast. If needed I can find the email address of the guy you need to coordinate the tour with.

I highly recommending picking up Rick Steve's book on Germany. Personally I think he writes the best travel guide.
It is hard to make recommendations without a little more information.

thanks,
--Joe
Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Denise993
Pro

In April of 2010, my 10 day German vacation turned into 17 days because of the volcano in Iceland blowing it's top. We started our trip in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (which is less than 2 hours from Munich by train). It is a beautiful ski village and fabulous to see even if you aren't skiing. It's sort of sleepy, so 2 days is good.

Munich was also great... lots to see and do. The Porsche Museum was easy to get to by train from there (couldn't rent a car because the Europeans were using them to drive home because their flights were cancelled.) We toured Neuschwanstein Castle and walked around and got lost and ate and drank our way back to the hotel.

We spent the last stretch in Salzburg, Austria and really enjoyed that. They have salt mine tours, a very old fortress, and LOADS of great food.

I'm jealous! Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Personally, when staying in the Southern Bavaria area I prefer Fussen over Garmisch-Partenkirchen. I think Fussen is a little less touristy and closer to the sights in the area.

Here is the link for the place we stayed. http://www.suzannes.de/

--Joe
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still intend to do a trip report of the trip I just got back from, but we will see. In the meantime, some of what has already been mentioned:

Those are all nice, but I like heading over to Switzerland and Italy and riding around in places like these:

Terrible day at Stelvio, though:

Also, you should eat some nice authentic cuisine:

Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

Whatever you end up doing while there Bob, take your 993 and enjoy it more!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Definitely those and the MB museum (I've only been to the BMW museum so far).

Augustiner Keller in München...and all other beer gardens.

Deutsche Technical Museum in München.

The lakes and mountains along the southern border.
Thanks Alex. Want to add the Audi and MB museums to our visit. I will check out other recommendations.

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
The Ring...
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en.html

Drive if you have the oppourtunity. Rent a car too, Freddy and Ralph can help>
http://www.rent4ring.de

Just did it, incredible experience!
Not sure I am Ring worthy. I'm sure we will visit it tho. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Andre'
All that "car stuff" is nice and well but how about some true "cultural" sightseeing? City of Dresden for instance - always worth a visit, and my favorite (Unesco World Heritage)! The newly rebuild "Frauenkirche", Semper Opera, Dresden Zwinger, and much more. Take time to visit Prague the "Golden City" - not far away in the Cech Republik. Lot's of smaller cities - Goslar, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Regensburg...

See attached link to get some ideas:

http://www.germany.travel/en/kartena...n%2Findex.html

Rent you a 997 911 Turbo and travel from destination to destination on the "Autobahn" - that would be my recommendation!

Have fun, and enjoy your vacation!

Andre'
Great link Andre'. I'm pretty sure Dresden is on the itinerary. Me need some Turbo

Originally Posted by e9stibi
+1 for Dresden in combination with Prag. I took some American friends there 2 years ago at exactly the same time and they are still talking about their memories.

You might look at Trier, too if you like wine and history. Mainz is another great place and it is close to Frankfurt where you might arrive. It can be combined with Trier which is just an extra hour by car.
Must look into Trier. Yes we arrive in Frankfurt.

Originally Posted by Floodj
How long are you staying, and who are you bringing? Germany has a lot to offer, but it is larger then it seems.
For example, If you are bringing your wife and daughters who could careless about cars there is tons of non-auto related stuff to see.
Also, if you have some special thing you would like to see, like a certain famous castle, that would be helpful to know.

For the visit to Porsche, I recommend going on T-Th and doing the factory tour also. Unfortunately, the factory is only open M-Th, and the Museum only T-Sat. So if you want to see both... The good news is the factory tour is free, and with your PCA membership the Museum is 50% off. I would recommending booking the tour soon as the English tours fill up fast. If needed I can find the email address of the guy you need to coordinate the tour with.

I highly recommending picking up Rick Steve's book on Germany. Personally I think he writes the best travel guide.
It is hard to make recommendations without a little more information.

thanks,
--Joe
Hi Joe, Just wife and me. 3 week starting Sept 7. We are very active, cycling, hiking, walking. We both love german cars. She is an art junkie and loves euro red wine. Please send info on factory tour if you can locate it.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Denise993
In April of 2010, my 10 day German vacation turned into 17 days because of the volcano in Iceland blowing it's top. We started our trip in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (which is less than 2 hours from Munich by train). It is a beautiful ski village and fabulous to see even if you aren't skiing. It's sort of sleepy, so 2 days is good.

Munich was also great... lots to see and do. The Porsche Museum was easy to get to by train from there (couldn't rent a car because the Europeans were using them to drive home because their flights were cancelled.) We toured Neuschwanstein Castle and walked around and got lost and ate and drank our way back to the hotel.

We spent the last stretch in Salzburg, Austria and really enjoyed that. They have salt mine tours, a very old fortress, and LOADS of great food.

I'm jealous! Enjoy!
Probably save Austria for another trip. Munich is on the list. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Floodj
Personally, when staying in the Southern Bavaria area I prefer Fussen over Garmisch-Partenkirchen. I think Fussen is a little less touristy and closer to the sights in the area.

Here is the link for the place we stayed. http://www.suzannes.de/

--Joe
Thanks Joe, I will check it out.

Originally Posted by bart1
I still intend to do a trip report of the trip I just got back from, but we will see.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing Bart.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Whatever you end up doing while there Bob, take your 993 and enjoy it more!
Unfortunately the 993 stays home I hope to get my paws on some nice German hardware to do some speedwork on the Autobahn. Thanks Tim!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

September? Don't forget Oktoberfest! Why they don't call it Septemberfest I have no idea...

edit: a quick Google search revealed the answer. Originally it was held in October but moved it to September for better weather
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dachau. A sobering experience.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 PM
sdrake
Advanced

check out - http://www.romanticroad.com/

It's a ridiculous website but it showcases a great section of Germany to drive through. My wife and I did the trip a couple of years ago and it was amazing. The final stop is Neuschwanstein where the castle that inspired the Disney World castle sits on a mountain with the alps behind. It was unreal.

+1 on Dachau. Spent about a 1/2 day there and you somehow feel the weight of the place within the first 30 seconds. It's terrifying.

Final thought - we took a an overnight train from Cologne to Prague to fly home from there. We had a private sleeper car with a huge window, a bottle of wine and a selection of cheeses. One hell of a way to see the countryside go by
Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out my friend's website: http://www.passo-tourismo.com/

Quick Reply: OT Heading Germany in September...interestest in the "must see/do" list