Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Replica Gt2 seats new for $450

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

"old German steel" vs FRP mfgrd in....lets all guess: somewhere in Asia, the land of poison pet food, lead-based paint, and who knows what else. You get what you pay for is proven time and again in this world. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
Alright ....you overgeneralize. NOT all recaro , momo, cobra on and on are FIA.

You are a blind fool if you believe your seats are as strong as day 1. There are numerous German steel parts that wear out on Porsche's.

The engineering and safety standards are ....Old! A Pontiac has the same safety standards as a Porsche. So your special 1985 911 had the same crash test as a pontiac fiero.

I'm not saying theses seats are Safe on a track....but neither are your 1985 911 seats.
Originally Posted by shadow993
As for a turbo engine... I guess ruff cars are penny wise and pound foolish. They took a perfectly good 911 4s and dropped beefed up i911 turbo.

It was a thought and if you must know.... I'm leaning towards the supercharger. My concern is that there hasn't been any long term testing on the ability of our motor to handle it. That is why I was pondering using a Porsche turbo.

All and all.... In the long buying a turbo car or dropping one in would be the same hit in the wallet in the long run. $12k hit...motor cost or depreciation. So neither penny wise or pound.

Now ...I wait for more blabbering from you.
Please re-read what I wrote for better comprehension of my position. To address any more of your fallacies would be edging into the land of obviousness and cruelty, so I will refrain from any further response. Again, good luck to you.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Blah blah ... You remind me of Charlie browns school teacher. No substance...just a constant annoying sound.

"You win!" Now go party with Charlie Sheen!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't any old seat allowed for SCCA racing? I thought the only thing was you needed a seat back brace if no current FIA sticker. So, would it be reasonable to think these things would be ok with a seat back brace?

Greg H.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Isn't any old seat allowed for SCCA racing? I thought the only thing was you needed a seat back brace if no current FIA sticker. So, would it be reasonable to think these things would be ok with a seat back brace?

Greg H.
Can't address SCCA's rules, but PCA allows out of date or non FIA rigid seats as long as they have an approved seat back brace. However, the OP's mod list does not disclose a roll bar or cage of any sort, nor would a seat back brace necessarily mitigate any fracturing from side loads from a fake GT3 seat.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:42 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seat back braces. Oh God.....................
Old 07-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Testdr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh, I forgot about Momo, Cobra and Racetech's FIA homologations. And I'm just going off of the top of my head. Anyway, you have completely missed the point of how a name brand such as Recaro, Sparco, Cobra, Racetech as well as the myriad of non-FIA certified seat companies have an onus of responsibility to produce safe seats versus a factory in the Guangdong province of China (my assumption) and its laughable product liability risk management "policy".
If Recaro can find some quality suppliers in China for aircraft seats (might even come from Guangdong), they are out there, don't think its fair to overgeneralize. But I agree that due-diligence is of the utmost importance, especially when it comes to safety, remember... its YOUR neck on the line. Best find out what your butt is sitting on....

http://www.recaro-as.com/ras/service...61a4507e13409d

"Recaro Aircraft Seating has also been successful with its Sourcing Center in Shanghai, which was opened in 2010 with the aim to intensify the cooperation with Chinese suppliers and support the company's international supply chain. “We want to secure purchasing advantages in China for certain product groups at our international locations without sacrificing quality and performance,” explains René Dankwerth, Recaro Aircraft Seating Purchasing Manager. "
Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would never, ever consider buying seats manufactured by a source that I knew nothing about. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that these are probably Chinese-made seats? Have these ever been crash tested? Do you know if they will be strong enough to withstand an impact from the rear and not crack or fold? For me, this is like buying a knock-off HANS device and hoping it doesn't fracture in such a way that I'll break my neck.

Common Mark, don't be so negative!

We all know that FIA standards only exist for FIA to feel important, as if a seat to anyone in their right mind can be considered a safety item! The fact that Recaro, Sparco, Cobra, Corbeau, OMP, MOMO, Racetech and the likes all come with approval says nothing, nothing but the fact that it's all a big marketing scheme to shake cash from our pockets!!!

Only $600 for the luxury to sit in a pair of real imitation leather GT3 type seats that have been copied from a picture in a magazine and thereafter extensively tested in some Beijing canteen, followed by severe road testing in a souped up Tata Nano.......man what could possibly go wrong?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Testdr
If Recaro can find some quality suppliers in China for aircraft seats (might even come from Guangdong), they are out there, don't think its fair to overgeneralize. But I agree that due-diligence is of the utmost importance, especially when it comes to safety, remember... its YOUR neck on the line. Best find out what your butt is sitting on....

http://www.recaro-as.com/ras/service...61a4507e13409d

"Recaro Aircraft Seating has also been successful with its Sourcing Center in Shanghai, which was opened in 2010 with the aim to intensify the cooperation with Chinese suppliers and support the company's international supply chain. “We want to secure purchasing advantages in China for certain product groups at our international locations without sacrificing quality and performance,” explains René Dankwerth, Recaro Aircraft Seating Purchasing Manager. "
I don't have an issue with China; I have an issue that there is zero safety accountability with these particular eBay seats.

Originally Posted by evoderby

We all know that FIA standards only exist for FIA to feel important, as if a seat to anyone in their right mind can be considered a safety item!
That you feel that a seat is not a safety item is not even a debatable point.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
evoderby
Pro

That you feel that a seat is not a safety item is not even a debatable point.
Over here in Europe we have this thing called sarcasm.....
Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evoderby
Over here in Europe we have this thing called sarcasm.....
Thanks for the clarity. It was hard to not take your comments at face value without a .
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Really? Racing seats made by Sparco, Recaro, etc. have FIA ratings, meaning that they have been safety tested. And if you're going to say that not all seats made by the aforementioned manufacturers aren't FIA-rated, you are absolutely correct. However, I know a lot about Sparco and Recaro (the same people who made the real GT3 shell seats), so I trust that, borne out of years' of experience, they have an understanding of seat construction and seat failure and would not put their name on a product that they did not feel afforded excellent occupant survivability even if it did not happen to be FIA tested.

Again, I'll ask: do you know anything about the manufacturer of the seats you just bought and how much experience they have in producing safe seats?

Very well, actually. Our seat frames are made up of steel, a material that is not known to degrade unless the material has previously been fatigued by repeated crashes or has been compromised by significant corrosion, a possibility that is quite slim. Oh, and a little manufacturer called Porsche manufactured/contracted the seats. At the very least, the 993 was crash tested for approval by US DOT regs and probably crash tested by the German TUV and other European safety arms.

Do you know if the manufacturer of your seats has had this model crash tested by any country's governing transportation authority?

I'm guessing that what you do know is that you paid very little for some really cool knock-off seats. I'm sure the company didn't cut any corners anywhere, right?

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope that nothing ever bad happens to you or your car or to any future owner. I honestly hate it when people go out and support these manufacturers who "create" products that have the potential to harm others. You may not keep your car forever, so when you sell it, an unsuspecting buyer will easily conclude "Wow, cool! It has GT3 seats; I know they're safe because they're made by Recaro for Porsche!", an internal dialog that may not be known to you (I'm going to assume that you'll tell your future buyer that these are cheap copies if he or she tells you how much they love the GT3 seats or that any ad copy will state that these are knock-offs).

Good luck,

The sails. They have no more wind.

Andreas
Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
The sails. They have no more wind.

Andreas
Probably. It's just that some of us get irritated with the automotive knock-off stuff, especially when safety is involved. (And make no mistake, over the years I've flat-out had questionable, if not unsafe, components on my race/track cars when viewed through a current day prism.)

Biggest peeve these days? Improper belt installation. I was given a Gallardo to instruct last week. 4 point belts. Uh, no thanks, I'll use the stock 3 points. Grid dude demanded I use the 4 point as I had to use "equal to the driver." Uh huh. Well, how about I strap the 4 point OVER the 3 point then. Later in the day, I was pointed to an old torsion bar era 911 that had an unpadded roll bar, but no further equipment. The owner was having problems with his DIY seat/belt installation. There was no way the shoulder harnesses were going to line up properly, given how the bar was constructed. He was very receptive to my input, and hopefully if I see him another time he'll have consulted with an expert to ensure what he's got is installed properly.

I'm fortunate to have as a friend, and available on our local email racer list (3K/mo post activity) an excellent fabricator. And the former head of tech for NASA. Not to mention too many SCCA/NASA racers to count. A discussion such as this pops up regularly, if not frequently.

Being a passenger in the rollover last year, while not a wake up call, was a reminder. I'm happy to say 15 year old 100% stock BMW equipment worked fine.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Probably. It's just that some of us get irritated with the automotive knock-off stuff, especially when safety is involved.
Ken,
I agree with Mark's points....

Andreas
Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
evoderby
Pro

Thanks for the clarity. It was hard to not take your comments at face value without a .
I am sorry when it does that;-) Thought it was quite obvious and tried to avoid overdoing it in classic Anthony Edwards - Top Gun style:

AE: "you know the finger"
Kelly McGillis: "yes Goose I know the finger"

Quick Reply: Replica Gt2 seats new for $450