Paypal scam when selling a car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
He has not offered to send more money and ask for a refund. I would not do that as everyone knows that is a scam. Nile, how can he file a dispute or have you seen others doing this before?

I agree a wire transfer is the perhaps the best way. Everyones first reaction is run but I am trying to find some tangible proof of previous Paypal scams not just "Run". Paypal can be a legit way of payment and I am sure we have all used it or at least I know I have used it lots of times without issues

Thanks for the comments
Not only have I done the disputes with PayPal (for several eBay items as the sellers are becoming completely crooked there), they have returned the money every time. Just look at their policies. They heavily protect the buyer.

Whilst there, also see how much PayPal allows you to receive in any given period of time. Unless you have a business account with them, I believe it's limited way, way below what a 993 would cost. On top of that, why would a sane person pay a 2.9% fee which will amount to $1000 or so to use PayPal to buy a car? In short, show me a single person who took PayPal as a payment for a car other than 1982 Chevette.

On the other hand, don;t kid yourselves, guys, thinking that a wire is bulletproof and can not be recalled.

Again, to summarize - a guy wants to buy a car site unseen (without even talking on the phone?) and pay via untraceable methods. I see lot of fun in that transaction.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After 25 years in law enforcement I can assure you that the only safe way to complete a transaction from overseas is through a bank to bank transfer. Their bank to your bank and done in the presence of banking representatives during banking hours. If they charge a fee, cheap insurance. I recently assisted my collector car neighbor when he sold a $29,000 '89 Mercedes to an individual in Dubai using this method. A complete success. No worries. Anything else is an exposure to risk. If your buyer is on the up and up, then he will agree to this procedure. It's that simple. Good luck! I hope it works out.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Lots of good advice. He did send me a phone number and I am going to call him in the morning. If I get an actual answer I will insist on a wire transfer. How can they recall a wire transfer? If not by wire transfer what else is there? These days it sounds like to only way to do a deal is if the buyer shows up with a stack of $100's....

Thanks for the replies
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask him why he wants a left hand drive car when the drive on the other side of the road!

He could get one much easier from europe and/or UK.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
Ask him why he wants a left hand drive car when the drive on the other side of the road!

Where was it stated what country the buyer is in? Not all countries "overseas" have RH drive cars. Most of Europe is LH.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:28 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Where was it stated what country the buyer is in? Not all countries "overseas" have RH drive cars. Most of Europe is LH.
Post #5 - I agree purchasing site unseen is unusual but he is in London England and I get the impression that cars of this vintage are much more expensive there.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed Hughes.

fyi

Post #5 - I agree purchasing site unseen is unusual but he is in London England and I get the impression that cars of this vintage are much more expensive there.

Ask him why he wants a left hand drive car when they drive on the other side of the road!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

The moment UK is mentioned regarding car buying you are 99.93% assured this is a scam.

However, email the guy and tell him that in a happy coincidence you will be in London on a business trip next week and willing to meet him there for a discussion. See which part of the world he will end up in next week if he replies to you at all.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
The moment UK is mentioned regarding car buying you are 99.93% assured this is a scam.
How so?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
How so?
I had 3 "buyers" all from the UK supposedly, wanting to send me more money for the car, asking price etc... I emailed all of them that I would rather have them give the money directly to my relatives in London and never heard back from them
Obviously not all buyers from the UK are scammers, but seeing that scammers are usually English speaking and the UK the only English speaking country in Europe, odds are stacked against legit buyers...

The bottom line is that if you are a legit buyer, there will certainly be more involvement, questions etc in the sale than buying the car unseen. It just does not make sense for normal people to do otherwise.

Just my 02
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by vern1
I am selling my 993 cab and have been hit with a few obvious scams. The latest "buyer" wants to purchase the car sight unseen and ship it offshore. He wants my Paypal info to pay me and then arrange shipping. Since Paypal is just an email address what can go wrong here? I am tempted to give him the Paypal email and see if the money shows up? However it just seems a bit suspect

Thanks
Aside from the transaction fee, PayPal has THE worst exchange rate from US to CAN $. I expect that applies to any other currency conversion.

Even though the CAN$ is well above par, my recent transaction with PayPal requiring conversion was a nasty surprise, a real rip-off.

PayPal's conversion rate is far worse than their transaction fee; Disgusting!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave
How so?
Experience plus common sense.

But just think about it. How would a LHD car be used in UK?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

How would a LHD car be used in UK?
Likely the same way a RHD car would be used in North America: infrequently and with caution. There's a rare LHD vintage BMW E28 Alpina currently for sale on another board. It's owned by a UK collector who imported it from Germany a few years ago. But, there's a story to support the situation and a lot of open (and favorable) dialogue about that particular car.

A LHD car going to a RHD country raises legitimate questions but isn't a definitive red flag. Suggesting the use of Paypal for a high value transaction raises more questions. Get the initial deposit via wire transfer and, if that works, the balance should be sent the same way. Other options aren't worth the risk.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

To me it's an absolutely definitive red flag. Again, from personal experience. And, again, both myself and Danny above gave an easy way to check the legitimacy.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But just think about it. How would a LHD car be used in UK?
Just because it's being shipped to a port in the UK doesn't mean that's where it will be owned and driven. Its final destination could be anywhere. For example, it could be a British importer purchasing a car for a client in Dubai. Or, the buyer could be in France and he wants to pick it up from a port in Southampton and drive back home. For whatever reasons, maybe it's cheaper for them to bring the car into a UK port.

Quick Reply: Paypal scam when selling a car?