Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My other Air Cooled car is on the cover!!!! UPDATED 7.22.11 with pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shibby!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

A fellow RL'er has offered to translate for us...
Attached Images        
Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
A fellow RL'er has offered to translate for us...
Yes, I am super busy right now at work, but I can do a quick translation in my broken Fr-English

Send me the scans and I will work on it over the we.

Take Care.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Renaud Bizet
Yes, I am super busy right now at work, but I can do a quick translation in my broken Fr-English

Send me the scans and I will work on it over the we.

Take Care.
Emailed!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J.A.W.S.

shibby!
^^ Da bomb diggity smack wack attack
Old 07-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Default Translation Part 1

Alright Jason here it is

Racing Spirit

Randy Carlson for one of his air-cooled collector customer, built this amazing Ovale, truly inspired with the racing spirit of that period. This build has an "old-speed" feel to it and pays tribute to a famous Miami VW-Porsche dealer from the fifties.

Randy Carlson is always full of surprises and never ceases to capture our attention through all of his builds. This amazing feat has over time became his trademark. This passionate and unorthodox individual is a must when it comes to the VW crowd in California. One of his most recent build, is this beautiful Oval convertible from 1955. This build was fully commissioned by a VW collector from Florida. This VW inspiration is based on other cars from the fifties that were customized by a famous VW-Porsche dealer in Miami.

Rally Oval

Today one of the biggest VW dealer is based in Miami, but it seems that it was also the case back in 1953. In those days, the Brundage Motors dealership had just opened its doors, and was offering Porsche and Beetles for sale. The coexistence of the 2 brands worked quite well as it quickly became one of the biggest dealership in the US. A dealership with a nice flair for racing, which offered a racing department as well as tuning services. This department was the pride and joy of Hubert, the dealership manager, who also successfully race prepped some Porsche speedsters. Some of them actually won races via his racing team Brumos Porsche. This is clearly no ordinary dealership. While sorting through archives from that area, Randy started to imagine what would a race prepped Beetle by Hubert Brundage would look like. A VW with beefed up performance, a few chosen Porsche parts, and with a racing spirit from the fifties. "what else?" This is how the Brundage Motors Rally Oval project started.

Inspired from the Fifties

This build is based on an Oval convertible from 1955. The car was sourced in California and therefore only required a simple restoration as it was rust free. So the plan was not a major overhaul but rather a smart customization project around a careful selection of key accessories. The first step was a period correct paint job in Reed Green L313, and the addition of speedster headlight mesh grills. Green painted graphics from the headlights to the top of the front fenders are inspired by the race-prepped speedsters of that era. Behind the Porsche styled wheels, you find aluminum covers that imitate the drum brakes from a 356. On the front bumper are installed a set of period correct rally lights and chromed fog lights. To stay with the fifties racing theme, Randy has taped the lights in a cross pattern. Even though the Oval is a convertible, a roof rack is installed. It is not chromed but painted in dark grey with the idea being to focus more on the practical side rather than just the esthetics.

A spare tire and a tool box are tightly secured to the roof rack via leather straps as it would back in the day. The car is slightly lowered in the front and in the back so that no gap is showing. The ride is still compliant but the handling of the Oval is definitely improved.

Hand Made

Similar to a movie backdrop the Oval looks great with all the writings on its body without over doing it. To stay with the Panamerica theme, you are treated with big racing numbers and hand painted Brundage Motors Inc dealership address from that period on the hood and the sides. On the rear side windows you can find period correct sponsor stickers such as the old Bosch, Koni and Heuer logos. This brings us to the car interior with a brand new upholstery but in its original configuration. To top it off you get a harness with an old locking mechanism. A Banjo steering wheel welcomes the driver, with a Porsche horn button. The engine has been fully rebuilt from top to bottom. To stay with the old speed spirit an Okrasa kit from Wolfsburg West was installed. It is completed with a quad tip Abarth style exhaust that produces a satisfying noise.

Ready to go

Obviously the intent with this build is perfectly clear. The Oval looks like it just left the racing shop and it stays true to its fifties racing spirit. First accomplishment has been to avoid overburdening the Oval with too many accessories. Next accomplishment would be to run it in a time trial VW rally. According to its new owner there is a good chance that the pretty 1955 convertible could be seen on the Florida roads among other race cars.

I hope I did not butcher it, I am not used to do translations.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited by Renaud Bizet; 07-23-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:18 AM
ericthepilot
Racer

Good job !
Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 AM
993polartip
Advanced

Impressive BUG! Equally impressive the power of Rennlist members working together! Good stuff
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Thank you so much for translating the article!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

You are very welcome

I learn so much here and cannot contribute much from a wrenching perspective, so I am glad I could give back in some way.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Jason for the neophyte can you share what is an Oval in the VW world? Just a specific model?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Oval refers to the rear window of the car. Pre 53 cars are know as Splits, from 53 to 57 they are know as Ovals. After 57 they had a few different rear window designs but none are as desirable as the early Splits or Ovals. Very similar to how the 356 crowd loves Bent Windows...
Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the translation Renaud!
cool article
Old 07-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Got it, thanks !!!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 993polartip

Rennlist members working together! Good stuff
Speaking of ^^ ... thanks to a RLer who helped me acquire two more rare 993 features, I have more reasons to learn French

Quick Reply: My other Air Cooled car is on the cover!!!! UPDATED 7.22.11 with pictures...