993 Forum 1995-1998

Comp and leakdown #s

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Comp and leakdown #s

Going to be jumping back into the 993 pool here soon and looking for the right car. Heart set on white and found a car and have done the ppi with a reputable shop. For a 95 with @85k miles how do these numbers look?
COMPRESSION TEST
(1)*** 130
(2)*** 135
(3)*** 140
(4)*** 140
(5)*** 140
(6)*** 135
*LEAK DOWN TEST******************************************************************** *************************************
(1)*** 9%
(2)*** 8%
(3)*** 6%
(4)*** 4%
(5)*** 5%
(6). 8%

Reading other threads seems
Like for those that have reported numbers the compression figures look low and the leakdowns are in the acceptable range. Other than a weep at the timing chain covers everything else looked fine. Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:38 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill, to me, those leakdown numbers look high. And they have a large gap from highest (9%) to lowest (4%). Has the car ever had a top-end done? May need one soon. Factor that into your price and value proposition.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

I'd pass on that joint
Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

No top end done
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'd pass on that joint
Out of curiosity why would you pass on that car? If the buyer negotiated the top end (or a large portion of it) in the buy price he could get the repairs done and have a car that starts from a fresh rebuild. As the OP said all other items (except weeping timing chain covers) are fine.

OP - In my opinion if you like this car and you know exactly what you are paying for and what needs to be fixed go for it. If the price when you are done is close to or is what you would have paid for a car that didn't need a top end, why not pursue this one?

Just another opinion. Best of luck in your search. It's really all about the price you pay vs what the car needs. I see it as No HTwo O does

Mike
Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unlikely the seller is going to drop the price $5-$10k don't you think?

Originally Posted by Arena993
Out of curiosity why would you pass on that car? If the buyer negotiated the top end (or a large portion of it) in the buy price he could get the repairs done and have a car that starts from a fresh rebuild. As the OP said all other items (except weeping timing chain covers) are fine.

OP - In my opinion if you like this car and you know exactly what you are paying for and what needs to be fixed go for it. If the price when you are done is close to or is what you would have paid for a car that didn't need a top end, why not pursue this one?

Just another opinion. Best of luck in your search. It's really all about the price you pay vs what the car needs. I see it as No HTwo O does

Mike
Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Price is in the upper mid 20s amended the opinion of the shop it was acceptable range for the comp and leak numbers.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

May be o.k. for the shop but not me...leakdown has too much variance and compression numbers, while fairly close, are on the low side. Either pass or factor in the necessary engine work...along with a clutch (which is a no-brainer with the engine out).
Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Clutch was done about 20k ago actually so that's a good point.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Unlikely the seller is going to drop the price $5-$10k don't you think?
Well if the car is in the "upper mid 20's" as the OP stated he may be starting from a good place, and not full retail. Plus most everyone spends money on the car when they buy it for repairs (no talking about mods). My point was that if the OP could buy the car and have the TOR done and be into the car at close to or at retail he would be a step up. It can and does happen. Look at E3Photo He bought his C4S in the mid teens, yes the mid teens, He's doing a ton of work, but when done everything will be new and he will be at what the cars worth used. He will have all new parts including TOR.

Mike
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The compression numbers is a bit low, but that could be due to a weak battery or throttle not being opened when cranking.

But what's wrong with the leakdown number? It's a variance of less than 5%. Only a brand new engine would have less than 5%. This is a 85K mile engine. From what I've seen, many people would be very happy with the leakdown.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by axl911
The compression numbers is a bit low, but that could be due to a weak battery or throttle not being opened when cranking.

But what's wrong with the leakdown number? It's a variance of less than 5%. Only a brand new engine would have less than 5%. This is a 85K mile engine. From what I've seen, many people would be very happy with the leakdown.
Disagree.

A brand new engine with seated rings should leak down about 1%. A good condition 85k mile motor could leak down as little as 1% to about 7%. Once you get into the 8%+ range, you start to get into valve guide replacement territory.

To say only a brand new motor leaks down less than 5% is not accurate.

However, 8% leakdown doesn't mean that you can't drive it for another 30k miles without much issue. And thats the precise reason that most sellers won't want to reduce the price substantially, because to them, the "car runs fine".
Old 07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Spidey 993

+1

Disagree.

A brand new engine with seated rings should leak down about 1%. A good condition 85k mile motor could leak down as little as 1% to about 7%. Once you get into the 8%+ range, you start to get into valve guide replacement territory.

However, 8% leakdown doesn't mean that you can't drive it for another 30k miles without much issue. And thats the precise reason that most sellers won't want to reduce the price substantially, because to them, the "car runs fine".
Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Disagree.

7% I can believe, and it's a good number. But I'd like to see pics of a leakdown picture of an 85K mile with 1% leakdown!!!

Also, leakdown doesn't indicate valve guide problem. The seal on the valve against the cyl head. The valve guide problem is at the stem end near the rocker. Unless you have bad enough of a valve guide problem that the stem begins to rock and damage the valve sealing surface at the cylinder head. By then, the car would smoke like crazy!!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by axl911
7% I can believe, and it's a good number. But I'd like to see pics of a leakdown picture of an 85K mile with 1% leakdown!!!

Also, leakdown doesn't indicate valve guide problem. The seal on the valve against the cyl head. The valve guide problem is at the stem end near the rocker. Unless you have bad enough of a valve guide problem that the stem begins to rock and damage the valve sealing surface at the cylinder head. By then, the car would smoke like crazy!!
I believe several high mile cars had low leakdown. I think Ilko or magdaddy's car had something like 2% leakdown in most holes.

As for the valve guides, you've nailed it exactly. The guide wears allowing excessive valve stem play, which beats up the valve seats and the valves.

Keep in mind that you will always lose some cylinder pressure through the rings, and natural wear on the valve and seat from mileage, and then some stem movement due to guide wear, and it adds up to 8%+ leakdown.

Given the cats most people use, the car probably won't smoke too badly until you get into the 15% range, if I had to guess. At that point, the oil consumption would be your first clue to a problem.

Quick Reply: Comp and leakdown #s