993 Forum 1995-1998

Carfax and Canadian Aircare, BD Idiots!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:46 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Carfax and Canadian Aircare, BD Idiots!

I cant believe that this is happening... As most of you know I have put out in the market my pristine 993 and to this day even though I lowered the price for a quick sale, I have not been able to sell it. I started scratching my head really and I could not understand why.

Well... a buyer who I have been in contact off and on from Germany for the past 2 months shed a light to it. He send me the Carfax of my car and it reported an ODO rollback!!!! I asked to see the copy of it and sure enough, the MORONS at the Canadian Aircare facility have been reporting my mileage on the ODO as KM instead of the correct number in Miles! So when I brought the car from Houston into Canada, passed it inspection in 2006 they recorded the miles as 46000 KM instead of the correct 46000 Miles! so Carfax and I assume the other agencies translate that into miles and it looks like a rollback!!! The same MORONS for 2 more inspections in 2008 and 2011 and they cant READ a *@#%& speedo correctly and they continue to report the miles as KM!

HONESTLY!!!!

No wonder I have not been able to get anyone to talk to me! They get the VIN, pull the Carfax and dont bother!!!!

I'm FURIOUS as you can appreciate it... Lesson learned for my Canadian brothers? Check your Aircare that they record the correct mileage if your speedo is a US one like mine or you may end up in my shoes having to fight the system to get things corrected and in the process loose potential buyers...

Last edited by DJF1; 07-04-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That's absolutely ridiculous!!! I would be livid! Can you trace back the error to
the Drive-Clean/Air-Clean location??! Heads should roll.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by _boman
That's absolutely ridiculous!!! I would be livid! Can you trace back the error to
the Drive-Clean/Air-Clean location??! Heads should roll.

Yes I know it. Its the same damn station in Langley BC.

I'm so upset I dont even know what else to do. I called them and a "supervisor" will call me. Or so they say. You know the same story, you call a company, you blast them pointing out their incompetency and the other end responds with the supervisor line.

We will see. I'm so livid...

Ranting here helps though
Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the situation Danny. I hope you can get it resolved soon.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Danny, one thing I can suggest is not putting VIN in your ads. As a matter of fact, put minimum amount of pertinent info in the ad, period. Get a conversation going with interested buyers.

It's impossible to sell anything by itself (with few exceptions). You sell yourself, in a grand scheme of things. If the buyer feels good about seller most of the time the deal will be made and both parties would feel good about it. If you divorce yourself from the process by putting _all_ the info in the ad you taking yourself out of equation and relying on the car to sell itself. While your cars are in great condition and we all know you to be an upstanding guy and a great contributor, most of your prospective buyers would not know that.

I, as a buyer, would like to have as much info as possible. but as a sales guy I treasure nothing more than the ability to talk to the customer, see what he needs and sell him what he needs. Thus I need him to contact me. By any means necessary.

Just my $0.02.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Air Care sucks. waste of Govt money if you ask me. I loathe it. Im lucky, it is not required in whistler.

What year and model car do you have? what is the price?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Similar story ... I just imported my Canadian-spec 911 to the States and my new (American) registration shows the mileage as 148,000 MILES, when the speedo reads 148,000 KILOMETERS.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a common problem and educated buyers know this. I've looked at a number of cars that have been imported in to Canada from the US and they all have this problem. I've come to expect it. My car's odometer is also in miles but the air care guys just fill out their forms as km (even when I explain things to them). Shouldn't be too bad unless the car goes back and forth multiple times then things can get confusing.
It gets worse... I've even seen cars that someone has changed just the face of the speedo/odometer to Km from miles and not calibrated properly - I was wondering why I was passing everyone on the hwy until a chase car told me I was doing 160km/hr and not the indicated 100km/hr...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Air Care sucks. waste of Govt money if you ask me. I loathe it. Im lucky, it is not required in whistler.

What year and model car do you have? what is the price?
I did not know that in Whistler its not required! I Agree Air Care Sucks!

My cabrio is a 1995: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-for-sale.html

Mike thanks for the advise!

I did not realize that this is a cross country issue! The problem is that while educated buyers may not have an issue at first, it becomes a hard sell to explain to someone who does not understand and then you have to deal with resale...

I just hope that I can correct the issue and soon...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck getting the Carfax fixed. When I had my 928, an emissions testing station (in Colorado) transposed a number on the mileage in the computer record, and naturally the Carfax report now shows a mileage discrepancy with a rollback warning. I informed Carfax of the error, but all they will do is add my note to the report. They will not correct the error. That all happened 8 years ago and the warning still shows up on the report. It will be there forever, all because some fool fat-fingered the number.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No wonder I have not been able to get anyone to talk to me...DJF1
Danny:

The market, at least in the West, seems to be dead this year. I spoke to a couple of local independent retailers, and was told that the only thing happening is bargain hunting.

It's a curious scene. Recent Canadian economic indicators are mostly positive; and there are billions of dollars of energy projects on the go, but special interest cars aren't moving.

Perhaps buyers are worried about the bigger world picture.

Last edited by Rinty; 07-05-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Carfax and Canadian Aircare, BD Idiots!