Sponsored by:

newbie help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 PM
kaleighcam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help

I'm looking at a '96 targa with a few issues. It has a complete set of mechanical records, one of which states that a major repair was made to the targa mechanism in 2006. The targa top does not work now, and I really don't have much interest in ever opening it (I am curious to know if it is a relay or something simple) It does have some wind noise, is that normal?

The sunshade, however, is critical for a bald white guy like me. This mechanism seems to work well enough, except for the fact that there is no screen. Anyone with experience and cost knowledge of installing a new screen? I presume that the repair can be done without dealing with the glass top. Additionally, is the screen perforated, or a solid fabric? The test drive was like being a greenhouse tomato. Does it have a reflective material on the sky-side? Also, the white lights in the bumper are dead. They look as though moisture got in there. Would $150. each from a boneyard be about the cost?

thanks,

KP
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I might think twice about that particular car unless it is priced very cheaply ... opening the Targa top might not be important to you, but it would become important to the next buyer. Those tops are very complex, they are expensive to repair and the assemblies are no longer made, if my memory is correct. Best to do a prepurchase inspection with someone who is familiar with those tops and find out exactly what the problem is.

Wind noise is not uncommon, but it should not be extreme. Sounds like the sunshade shouldn't be a difficult repair.

It's normal for the foglights on a 993 to be milky and cloudy looking with age, could just be a bad foglight switch or the bulbs are burned out.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 PM
kaleighcam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Vic: I understand that the 96 targa top was a nightmare, they stopped producing them in order to get it straight for the '98 models.

I was not interested in the least by the targa, but it seems a good price, and it is a california and AZ car with thorough records. I guess the question is can i live with the sunscreen or is it a droopy headliner annoyance. I wonder how effective it is?

Thansk for your input.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't really say, I've never owned a 993 Targa. But I did own an 02 Targa, and the screen was taut. It was fairly effective at blocking the sun but you will still get some greenhouse effect from the glass.

I sold the 02 because it had too many rattles for me.

But I know they still made the Targa in 1997, so I don't think they ever stopped making them. The Targa took a hiatus the first three years of the 996, though.

Porsche didn't build the tops on the cars at the factory, the Targas were built as cabriolets and the top assembly was installed at American Sunroof Corporation, if my memory is correct.

I have a friend who worked for Porsche in Atlanta, he advised me that the roof can become a problem and that Porsche's warranty solution was to replace the entire assembly. However, they are not made any more. There is a Rennlister on here who went through hell with his top, but wrote a terrific post about what he went through taking it off, fixing it and reinstalling it. You can probably find it if you search.

If you don't care for the Targa top, I'd be inclined to look for a coupe, there are some nice examples for sale on here, some with miles that are reasonably priced cars. The top is the entire appeal of that car. I will say that I liked the 02 Targa's roof a lot, even though I gravitate toward cabriolets. Good compromise between cab and coupe, rattles notwithstanding.

In any event, be sure and do a good prepurchase inspection, and read up on here about the secondary air injection issues with the car, especially if you live in a state with emissions inspections. The 96-98 cars have issues but will be fine if they are attended to. With these cars, the purchase price is only part of the equation, as a needy car can cost a lot of money to be put in top condition. It's cheap insurance to pay for the inspection up front. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Agree with Vic: look for a coupe.

I had a targa and it was great with no major top issues. But if you don't want the benefits of a targa, skip it. They don't enhance the value or performance of the car. And are complex and expensive to repair.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

IMHO, one should only buy a targa or cab if that is really what you want. They both have issues that are easy to overlook if that body style is important to you. That 993 Targa may be a good price, but there is a 993 coupe out there for a good price for you too. You didn't mention a PPI. Do yourself a big favor and get one on any 993 you consider buying.

Also, the foglights are an easy fix. There are some great DIY posting on freshing them up for very little money.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: newbie help