Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bilstein HD's and RoW M033's are on! Rear needs to be lowered :( Easy way to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Bilstein HD's and RoW M033's are on! Rear needs to be lowered :( Easy way to do it?

So, I get the Walrods in this past weekend.....waited until my shocks showed up, and put them in the car Tuesday evening. I used the measurements in the DIY thread to set them close to my desired ride height before putting the shocks in the car.

Of course, get it all done, on the ground and let it settle and the front is perfect but the rear needs to come down about 3/8". Is there any easy way to do it?? Do I have to take the whole rear apart again to get this right?

Also, if I lower the rear will the front of the car rise? I want to make sure I don't over shoot and end up having to start all over. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
So, I get the Walrods in this past weekend.....waited until my shocks showed up, and put them in the car Tuesday evening. I used the measurements in the DIY thread to set them close to my desired ride height before putting the shocks in the car.

Of course, get it all done, on the ground and let it settle and the front is perfect but the rear needs to come down about 3/8". Is there any easy way to do it?? Do I have to take the whole rear apart again to get this right?

Also, if I lower the rear will the front of the car rise? I want to make sure I don't over shoot and end up having to start all over. Thanks in advance!
it depends.
how many threads are left on the shock body for adjustment?
if you have no more adjustment threads left, then lowering will be a problem.
if you have threads remaining, just adjust as necessary, you do not need to remove anything except the rear wheels to access the collars.

good luck
i don't think that the front will change much if you are lowering the rear 3/8"

Craig
Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
if you have threads remaining, just adjust as necessary, you do not need to remove anything except the rear wheels to access the collars.
For sure? The DIY thread and the articles on p-car.com indicate it's not so easy, that partial disassembly is required for rear height adjustment. I assumed "partial disassembly" means more than removing the wheels, but if it really can be done this easily that's great news as I'm about to embark on this project next week.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Exactly...removing the rear wheels gets you access to the collars but they cannot be rotated due to the half shaft being in the way. It looks like the only way to adjust the rears is by removing the control arm and accompanying bolt so you can slide the shock over enough to rotate the collars. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah - when I did mine - I had to take the rear apart again to adjust the height.
With an extra locking collar at the bottom - as low as possible - then the sway bar perch, then another locking collar - I was only able to get around +10 RS height I think.
Fronts can be adjusted with just the wheels off.
Good luck
Regards
Ken
Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Ken,

Were you able to get enough clearance by just removing the control arm bolt at the bottom of the shock? Or did you have to loosen all of the 13mm nuts as well? Looks like I will be doing this tonight because the car goes in for alingment tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no idea how they are doing it but the dealership here was able to adjust the ride height in the rear without disassembling it. I am at RS+10 but have 7mm more i could lower in the future.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryano
I have no idea how they are doing it but the dealership here was able to adjust the ride height in the rear without disassembling it. I am at RS+10 but have 7mm more i could lower in the future.
Wow, would love to know their trick! What dealer is it...Ill call them up! I tried to figure out a way to do it yesterday and came up with either removing the half shaft or trying to just take out the bottom bolt holding in the strut and moving it enough to spin the collars. I need to lower it about 9mm and have plenty of threads to do it.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Jim Ellis Atlanta told me they didnt need to disassemble anything to adjust mine. I think they charged me 1 hour shop time. Although looking at it I came up with the same solution as you with having to take the bottom bolt out.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I remember I had to take the whole strut out.
2nd time round didn't take long.
But I remember it was a bitch of a job - and I didn't want to do it again - so I just went as low as possible.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

When I adjusted my rears, I had to at least partially disassemble otherwise I don't think you can get a wrench around to loosen the collars. I don't recall exactly, but I think the sway bar had to be moved.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:47 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
When I adjusted my rears, I had to at least partially disassemble otherwise I don't think you can get a wrench around to loosen the collars. I don't recall exactly, but I think the sway bar had to be moved.
Yeah, the sway bar def has to be moved because the collar it is attached to is the one that has to be lowered.

Even if I have to take the whole thing out as mentioned above, it will be much easier the second time around - I just didnt wanna have to work in those tight spaces in 100 + humidity The removing and re-tightening of bolts will be the longest process!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
Yeah, the sway bar def has to be moved because the collar it is attached to is the one that has to be lowered.

Even if I have to take the whole thing out as mentioned above, it will be much easier the second time around - I just didnt wanna have to work in those tight spaces in 100 + humidity The removing and re-tightening of bolts will be the longest process!
Usually everything is easier the second time around.

I do wonder what the dealer is doing (or perhaps NOT doing) maybe they are leaving the sway bar disconnected? Their "secret" may not always be a GOOD thing.
I would like to lower my car about another 10mm, but the rears are such a pain, I have just been putting it off.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
Usually everything is easier the second time around.

I do wonder what the dealer is doing (or perhaps NOT doing) maybe they are leaving the sway bar disconnected? Their "secret" may not always be a GOOD thing.
I would like to lower my car about another 10mm, but the rears are such a pain, I have just been putting it off.
Yeah, I agree about the dealer...there is NO way to lower with the sway bar drop links attached...or else they are doing magic.

I hear ya on putting it off...I just figure I got this far and the alignment is tomorrow, I wanna get it right. My rears need to be lowered 10mm as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

make sure the locking collars are TIGHT or your strut will rotate on you and break the drop link. ask me how i know

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD's and RoW M033's are on! Rear needs to be lowered :( Easy way to do it?