993 Forum 1995-1998

PPI Encinitas

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM
mbriggs993
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PPI Encinitas

Looking to purchase an 09 Boxster that is in Encinitas remotely. I will go there to pick it up but am looking for a PPI recommendation. It is still under warranty and is a one owner but I still think a PPI is worth it. It was purchased at Hoehn which I guess the owner has purchased several Porsches from. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Smart move. Make sure to get a DME readout (assume man. trans.) and do an oil filter dissection during the PPI. Report the ignitions in the 6 ranges here.

If you don't get an indy recommendation, taking it to another unbiased Porsche dealership would be fine. Problem will be getting a true PPI from a California based Porsche shop. They may call it a "multi point used car inspection".

Great car. You'll love the Boxster!

Can you "buy" it through the dealership, and negotiate in a CPO??
Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by mbriggs993
Looking to purchase an 09 Boxster that is in Encinitas remotely. I will go there to pick it up but am looking for a PPI recommendation. It is still under warranty and is a one owner but I still think a PPI is worth it. It was purchased at Hoehn which I guess the owner has purchased several Porsches from. Any recommendations?

Thanks
european motorsports 760.599.9307 ask for Scott ~ 5 miles from Encinitas

or

black forest automotive in kearney mesa (san diego)

or dieters in san diego

last 2 are 20 miles from encinitas.

craig
Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 for Black Forest in Kearny Mesa

Nick
Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 PM
mbriggs993
Rennlist Member

I talked to Scott at European. Very helpful over the phone and am trying to arrange to have it taken there. Thanks for the recommendation Craig.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default My votes...

See Mark Kinninger at Black Forest, Kearney Mesa

See Steve Grosskemper at Dieters, just east of down town

Both of these guys are legends in town for their technical ability....know them both for a long time, both are racers too.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by mbriggs993
I talked to Scott at European. Very helpful over the phone and am trying to arrange to have it taken there. Thanks for the recommendation Craig.
hope it works out for the best
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 PM
mbriggs993
Rennlist Member

I used Scott at European and he was great. Very prompt and accommodating. I recommend them.

Marc
Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

If you need someone to test drive.......
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 AM
bingjeep
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently purchased a 1997 993 from a private seller in Santee, CA. I did some research for shops in the area to perform a PPI and the two names mentioned the most were Dieters and Black Forest. I chose Black Forest and couldn't regret it more.
Initially Black Forest was wonderful to work with. After their PPI they sent me a report outlining their findings. In a subsequent phone conversation with David, the tech who performed the PPI, we discussed the details in the report as well as the cost to repair the few things he had found. With that info I was able to have most of the items resolved by the owner either by having the repair performed in California or the cost to repair here in Ohio deducted from the selling price. Black Forest then re-inspected the car and confirmed that all agreed repairs had been completed. I was excited and anxious to have the car shipped to Ohio.
The car arrived and the first thing I noticed was that all four wheels were scratched and scraped with some areas as large as a quarter having no paint left at all. I then got in the car and attempted to move the seat back, it wouldn't budge. Very disapointed I drove the car home and contacted David at Black Forest about the condition of the car. David asked me to send him some photos of the wheels and he would refer to his notes and photos and get back with me. The seats were fine when he inspected the car according to David.

The next day David emailed me to say after looking at his notes and my photos that the wheels were obviously damaged by the shipping company and that I should file a claim with them. Problem solved I thought. I then reviewed the papers from the shipping company and on their inspection form completed when the car was left with them in San Diego the blemishes on the wheels was noted. Perplexed I now go back to the pictures that the seller sent me of the car when it was initially listed for sale. After enlarging the pictures, there is the scratches on all four wheels. Forwarded the photos to Black Forest and waited.
The tech David called and apologized and said he didn't know how he missed the damage. I asked what they would do to resolve their error and he said he would have his manager, Jeff call me. No call. I call Jeff who thinks it is "horse crap" that they should be responsible for the repair to the wheels but does offer to credit me $50.00. I ask to speak with the GM and I am told to email him. No response.
I take the car to a local Porsche shop and have all four wheels refinished. Then to the local Porsche repair shop to have the power seat repaired. I also asked them to give the car a quick check. They find several small things plus the curtain on the rear spoiler is broken. Pretty obvious. Again I contact Black Forest. Again no reply.

I have now spent over $1000.00 repairing items on my car. Having a PPI done, I had hoped to avoid this. I can understand how a shop could miss hidden things, but these to me were all fairly obvious.
Did I expect too much from the PPI?

Sorry for the long reply, and if anybody has a suggestion on what I should do, please let me know.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bingjeep
I recently purchased a 1997 993 from a private seller in Santee, CA. I did some research for shops in the area to perform a PPI and the two names mentioned the most were Dieters and Black Forest. I chose Black Forest and couldn't regret it more.
Initially Black Forest was wonderful to work with. After their PPI they sent me a report outlining their findings. In a subsequent phone conversation with David, the tech who performed the PPI, we discussed the details in the report as well as the cost to repair the few things he had found. With that info I was able to have most of the items resolved by the owner either by having the repair performed in California or the cost to repair here in Ohio deducted from the selling price. Black Forest then re-inspected the car and confirmed that all agreed repairs had been completed. I was excited and anxious to have the car shipped to Ohio.
The car arrived and the first thing I noticed was that all four wheels were scratched and scraped with some areas as large as a quarter having no paint left at all. I then got in the car and attempted to move the seat back, it wouldn't budge. Very disapointed I drove the car home and contacted David at Black Forest about the condition of the car. David asked me to send him some photos of the wheels and he would refer to his notes and photos and get back with me. The seats were fine when he inspected the car according to David.

The next day David emailed me to say after looking at his notes and my photos that the wheels were obviously damaged by the shipping company and that I should file a claim with them. Problem solved I thought. I then reviewed the papers from the shipping company and on their inspection form completed when the car was left with them in San Diego the blemishes on the wheels was noted. Perplexed I now go back to the pictures that the seller sent me of the car when it was initially listed for sale. After enlarging the pictures, there is the scratches on all four wheels. Forwarded the photos to Black Forest and waited.
The tech David called and apologized and said he didn't know how he missed the damage. I asked what they would do to resolve their error and he said he would have his manager, Jeff call me. No call. I call Jeff who thinks it is "horse crap" that they should be responsible for the repair to the wheels but does offer to credit me $50.00. I ask to speak with the GM and I am told to email him. No response.
I take the car to a local Porsche shop and have all four wheels refinished. Then to the local Porsche repair shop to have the power seat repaired. I also asked them to give the car a quick check. They find several small things plus the curtain on the rear spoiler is broken. Pretty obvious. Again I contact Black Forest. Again no reply.

I have now spent over $1000.00 repairing items on my car. Having a PPI done, I had hoped to avoid this. I can understand how a shop could miss hidden things, but these to me were all fairly obvious.
Did I expect too much from the PPI?

Sorry for the long reply, and if anybody has a suggestion on what I should do, please let me know.
I understand your frustration and it will be only a temporary bump in the long road to enjoyable 993 ownership.

I think you need to ask yourself what remedy are you looking to receive. I think the most that will happen is for Black Forest to accept responsibility and refund cost of your PPI. I would continue to seek out the owner of Black Forest and discuss the issue. $50 refund seems too low. A $1,000 seems unlikely.

Try not to let this screw up by Black Forest take the wind out of your sail. Unfortunate that you did not have a Rennfax performed nor did you closely review the photos provided. Chalk it up to another cost of having a great car.

Buying a sight unseen 14 year old car is always a little risky.

Mark
Old 07-02-2011, 12:02 PM
bingjeep
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Mark! I have learned two things from this. Never buy a car unseen and use Rennfax. I am confident if I had asked for a Rennfax, a member near the car would have given me a better description of the obvious flaws in the car. Thanks for the suggestion of seeking out the owner of Black Forest. I will give that a try.

Quick Reply: PPI Encinitas