Sponsored by:

GT3Tek Headlight Squirter Delete install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts
Default GT3Tek Headlight Squirter Delete install

I was working on the car this weekend, trying to end its all-too-long-of-a-hiatus-on-jackstands that began nearly 6 weeks ago when I removed AWDectomy bits to pass onto Adam.

The day’s tasks included;
Replacing the AC Condenser and Oil Cooler mounted ballast resistors. Since I already had the inner fender liners removed, this was the ideal time to R&R the resistors and install the headlight squirter delete plugs that I had sourced from GT3Tek.

Joel has made some very nice pieces that do a better job of filling the holes than my earlier effort. But, installation is somewhat challenging due to their location.
So, what do you need to do to get these babies installed?
1. Remove the front wheels
2. Remove the front half of the inner fender liners
3. Loosen the condenser or cooler, (depends on which side you are working on) and lower it a few inches. I supported with a floor jack to relieve stress on plumbing, (you may not have to do step 3 depending on your hand size and agility).
4. Reach in and remove the squirters and associated lines.
5. Put some type of protective material on the underside of the plug to protect the paint. I had some leftover 3M clear bra material courtesy of FD Motorsports that I used. See photo.
6. Slide the knurled nut into place.
7. Insert the plug into the hole and thread the two pieces together.
8. I used a bit of low-strength thread locker since there is no wrench access = finger tight only. Joel tells me that he has had no “loosening” issues in 6 months at finger tight only and he drives his car hard @ AX and DE events.

I’m very pleased with the results, see in-process photo.
I’d strongly recommend that you consider this mod if you are changing the resistors or that you change the resistors prophylactically if you are installing the plugs.

DIY rating 1 – 10 = 2 for difficulty and ~ 4 for complexity, (need to remove stuff for access).

Craig
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts

to acomplish #6 with the "knurled" nut provided, requires the suspension of the laws of physics.

Unless the hole that the squirter hose goes up thru is smaller in diameter on my car than any other, the supplied nut simply does not fit. I had a back and forth with Joel about the design of the plug/nut. Needless to say, it didn't end very nicely.

In my opinion, a GREAT machined top plug...with a very poorly thought out fastening means.

Here's another fastening idea...
-how about not threading the stem of the plug, just a short blank billet stem
-drill a blind hole and tap that stem
-utilize a concave washer with a metric hex head bolt

The washer with bolt could be pushed up thru the lower hole, and you could actually start spinning the plug on above the fender. Lower the plug down against the paint, and use your hex wrench to tighten.

How many of you guys simply used silicone to attach these? I sent pm's to everyone on here who installed these, with the same question. How did you get that big nut up thru that small hole?

Again, maybe my car has a smaller hole that the squirter hose passed thru...hey, it could happen.

Great idea, poor execution IMHO
Old 06-14-2011, 02:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
How many of you guys simply used silicone to attach these? I sent pm's to everyone on here who installed these, with the same question. How did you get that big nut up thru that small hole?

the big nut does NOT need to go through the hole.
i slid the nut into the area between the sheetmetal by finagling the nut into place from the respective cooler areas, then used my finger in the hole that you are describing to hold the nut in place while securing the plug.

It's not an obvious DIY, but definitely doable.

good luck if you attempt it again.

Craig
Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM
GT3 Tek
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
to acomplish #6 with the "knurled" nut provided, requires the suspension of the laws of physics.

Unless the hole that the squirter hose goes up thru is smaller in diameter on my car than any other, the supplied nut simply does not fit. I had a back and forth with Joel about the design of the plug/nut. Needless to say, it didn't end very nicely.

In my opinion, a GREAT machined top plug...with a very poorly thought out fastening means.

Here's another fastening idea...
-how about not threading the stem of the plug, just a short blank billet stem
-drill a blind hole and tap that stem
-utilize a concave washer with a metric hex head bolt

The washer with bolt could be pushed up thru the lower hole, and you could actually start spinning the plug on above the fender. Lower the plug down against the paint, and use your hex wrench to tighten.

Again, maybe my car has a smaller hole that the squirter hose passed thru...hey, it could happen.

Great idea, poor execution IMHO
Your car has the same front fenders as every other 993 ever produced and the squirter hole is identical on all of the fenders. If every buyer was having the same installation problem I might agree with you that there was an engineering problem but since that is not the case, I must disagree with your evaluation.

cgfens statement was correct about not needing to be wrench tightened, mine have been installed for over 7 months just finger tightened and after 15 track events and close to 8000 street miles they have not loosened at all.

I am sorry you are unable to get them installed and if you do not like my product or it's engineering, you should contact me directly and ask for a refund (which I am happy to do) instead of frying my product on this forum due to your inability to get them installed.

Joel Bowman
General Manager
GT3 TEK
Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Tek
Your car has the same front fenders as every other 993 ever produced and the squirter hole is identical on all of the fenders. If every buyer was having the same installation problem I might agree with you that there was an engineering problem but since that is not the case, I must disagree with your evaluation.

cgfens statement was correct about not needing to be wrench tightened, mine have been installed for over 7 months just finger tightened and after 15 track events and close to 8000 street miles they have not loosened at all.

I am sorry you are unable to get them installed and if you do not like my product or it's engineering, you should contact me directly and ask for a refund (which I am happy to do) instead of frying my product on this forum due to your inability to get them installed.

Joel Bowman
General Manager
GT3 TEK

Joel

did we, or did we not talk to each other-via pm or email MULTIPLE times about my install problem. Never once, did you explain to me how exactly I was supposed to get the supplied "nut" on to the back side of the plug.

As you stated to me, you never installed them yourself.

A video was never provided via your website as to how to install either, as your original thread about this product mentioned would be available.

Just exactly how much should have to be removed...to install these plugs anyway?

The front bumper cover alone, should surfice, shouldn't it? That allows you access to the headlight washer hoses/grommet's/etc. Who the hell would have thought that you would have to lower the condenser/oil cooler...whatever, simply to "slip" in the provided nut.

Personally, the hand tight guarantee shouldn't be good enough. It's a mechanical fastener isn't it? Certainly it doesn't need to be torqued to 100 ft/lbs, but...twisting a flat billet plug with your finger tips against a highly finished exterior to tighten seems a bit crude...doesn't it?

This application just begs for allowing the plug to remain stationary against the finish paint, and some OTHER kinda nut tightened from below.

I'm more than happy with my oil filter's being finger/hand tight...not so much anything else.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I like my headlight squirters.

Andreas
Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Can you take a pic a little further back Joel?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
GT3 Tek
Former Vendor

You are correct Magdaddy, we hashed this out before and now you have chimed in when another rennlister successfully installed his, which you were not able to do for whatever reason, bagging my product and design again in a public forum when I thought we had finished our discussion regarding the parts, therefore I am just letting you know that I am finished discussing it any further and wish you the best of luck in everything you do with your 993.

Cheers,
Joel

Last edited by GT3 Tek; 06-21-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I like my headlight squirters.
Andreas
Of course you would, as they are intended to clean something....

Originally Posted by Cactus
I think you mean Craig, the OP. For pics of the install completed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...installed.html
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 417 Posts

Joel- where are these located on your website?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
hi
you asked Joel, but i think you mean me?
but
these are probably too far away.........

craig
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Yes looking for a better shot of them. Need to do my resistors so......
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

This help?
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joel, I don't see these on your site. Do they come painted?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my headlight squirters...AOW162435
And with 7 litres of juice on tap, you can squirt for years, without refilling...

Quick Reply: GT3Tek Headlight Squirter Delete install