Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v power sources?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM
SeaJeff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 993 (it's my second) but honestly I do miss bluetooth (well, speakphone... but bluetooth is the standard now) and my iphone/ipod selection of music. the 993 obviously does not have steering wheel controls and other modern "conveniences" However, I am not a track "purist" but do want to keep my 993 as "stock" as possible (suspension, hybrid turbos the exception). Of course, I am into tech.... so.... while some might say "keep your cassette", I'm interested in discovering creative ways to add capability without hugly visible or (should I say) grotesque implementations. So, that being said- I've hardwired my V1 into my ash tray. I'm considering the Becker NavPro pseudo-stock radio for expansion for iPod. But I think the OP question of adding discrete 12v outlets is good- i know on my long(er) roadtrips, having a charger for a phone and an GPS iPad comes in handy!

I wonder if pulling something off the handbrake is a useful location?

(p.s., if anyone can recommend a more "stock" looking yet capable radio, love your suggestions.)

-jeff

Last edited by SeaJeff; 06-10-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammar due to too many manhattans :)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hard wired my V1 to a switched 12V wire on the radio. Ran the wire out to the right door jamb, up and across the base of the windshield. I used grey twin lead phone wire, you can't see it on top of the dash.
Actually did the same base of the windshield wiring location on my Bimmer as well for a cross country trip last year.

The Garmin plugs into the lighter socket when needed.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's my solution. I make sure my cell is charged before I leave the house, (bring the cord, just in case). I've got a 6 CD changer (Porsche) that I load for entertainment and I usually know the important radio frequecies of the metro areas I'm venturing into (for traffic etc.). My nav system in the 993 is Rand McNally.

Quick Reply: 12v power sources?