993 Forum 1995-1998

Breather Box Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Breather Box Removal

Have a 1996 993. Was attempting to remove the breather box from the manifold but can't see how if attaches to the round intake on the manifold. There was 1 bolt with a wire retainer for the air velosity sensor but nothing else visable inside or outside the assmebly. I tried turning the round plastic collar which looks like it could hold the assembly to the manifold but didn't want to break anything. I looked in the manual but it does not provide any information on how this is attached. Anyone know?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to use a long screwdriver to loosen the clamp on the inboard side of the Mass Airflow Senser (the large round tube - its hard to see - it's way back in there), then disconnect the large plug on the MAF, and rotate it forwards towards the front of the car - then the airbox will pull off. there is also a plug on the back of the airbox and another small pipe towards the back of the airbox which you ca get to when the airbox is pulled away.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
RBP
Instructor

Thanks,

What I see is, standing at the back facing the assembly I see a wire connected to what I believe is the MAF, at the bottom close to you, on the outside is a 1" or there about size hose fastened with a clamp. There does not appear to be any other hoses, clamps or fastening devices I can see.

What is the box made up of? Does it include the round opening for air that I thought is part of the manifold? It is a plastic round throat of about 4" with a screen.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deekay is right, you have to find and loosen that clamp screw back there and twist to disconnect the MAF from the intake and then remove the MAF and airbox together. It is just below the engine sound pad I recall. A flashlight helps. All you can see is the head. Ken
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

there's some good pics and instruction for this at pcarworkshop.com in the fuel filter section.
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/993_-_Fuel_Filter
Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
deekay911
Pro

The MAF that needs loosening and rotating is the large round tube that you describe as 4 in in diameter with a mesh. The smaller 1 in tube has to come off as weel of course but that one is easy.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
RBP
Instructor

Now I understand. Just much more complicated than I initially thought. Not sure why I expected it to be simple!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
deekay911
Pro

It's actually not at all hard once you have done it. You can do it the second time in about 3 minutes once you know the trick. The hardest part (and still is) is lining up the airbox to the MAF, and the two little rubber mounts, and the 1 inch pipe and putting it all back together - takes a bit of fiddling but keep at it and it will drop in place.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 PM
RBP
Instructor

Once it comes off I don't plan to reinstall. I have an induction kit I bought from Pelican. Engine will breath better and hopefully sound better.

Is the sound package mean chrome trim on the air inlet and holes drilled in the breather lid? Is there more to it?

Quick Reply: Breather Box Removal