Sponsored by:

O/T: Small SUV, Q5, RAV 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr
My experience is once you get a woman in an suv you will never get her out regardless of age.
False sense of "security" riding up high. No one considers roll over until after the fact...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Its a 2010 model.... I drove the 2.0T and beyond a few more mpg I didnt love it. The 3.2 is pretty amazing I have to say.... we average about 23-24mpg and it will snap your neck back. Drives like a car too... not like a truck. Has the pano sunroof with the prem package. I left the nav off as well as the sline package cause my wife doesnt care about those things. I got a 2010 with 7k on it so it came with Audi Care and CPO for 7 years. Cant beat that.

Originally Posted by CP
Ryan,

What year is your Q5? For 2011, they have a turbo-charged 4-cylinder (2.0T) version. That by itself may do the job. My worries is that mostly short trips will kill the turbo in no time. But then we are very light-footed drivers, will likely not hit boost much.

We rented A3s while in Eurpoe. Just loved the interior and the ergonomics. Really comfortable seats.

Chuck,

Yes, it HAS to be a SUV (high seat height is a MUST). I do my car guys thing with my Porsches. She is not into fun-to-drive etc. She just likes to be pampered between point A to Point B in a safe car.

My BIL has a Ford Escape. The interior is ......meh.....

CP
Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Ryan,

What is Audi Care? Is that the first service at 5k mile that Audi would pay for?

Also I read from AudiWorld that the Q5 has transmission issues. Although I am not sure if that is the 6-speed tranny with the 3.2 or the 8-speed job with the 2.0. You read anything along those lines?

Thanks.

CP
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

audi care includes all maintenance through 45k miles. Oil changes, scheduled maintenance ect that is all paid for by Audi. I dont have any tranny issues so far knock on wood but basically i wanted the longest warranty i could get so in 5 years I could decide if I wanted to keep it or get rid of it based on the track record.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by ryano
audi care includes all maintenance through 45k miles. Oil changes, scheduled maintenance ect that is all paid for by Audi. I dont have any tranny issues so far knock on wood but basically i wanted the longest warranty i could get so in 5 years I could decide if I wanted to keep it or get rid of it based on the track record.
Is Audi Care standard or something you negotiated in your deal? May I ask how much you paid, and which dealer?

A CPO warranty of 7 years/100k miles should be good enough for most I'd think.

CP
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Have you considered the new 2012 X3? It is getting great reviews.

My only concern about Audis is after 4 years and 50,000 miles. They develop issues around that time/mileage interval that trouble me. If I was buying something for the long haul (6-10 years), I would go with Toyota, Honda, Acura.

Mark
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

They wouldnt deal audi care into the price but we ended up getting so much off asking price i just paid for it. Actually if you add up the oil changes and maintenance Audi care is cheaper that all out of pocket.

I dont exactly remember what we paid but out our the door price was right at 40k from Jim Ellis in Marietta GA. I guess that puts us at about $37500

This is pretty much the same car we bought but ours had 7k miles on it. Also seeing they have 5-6 on the lot the demand has gone down slightly. When we bought they couldn't keep them on the lot. So you might be able to negotiate more on it than I could....
http://www.jimellisaudimarietta.com/...2d432c9f1b.htm

Originally Posted by CP
Is Audi Care standard or something you negotiated in your deal? May I ask how much you paid, and which dealer?

A CPO warranty of 7 years/100k miles should be good enough for most I'd think.

CP
Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 PM
CP
Race Director

Mark,

We are considering an X3 as well. But once out of warranty, BMW is just as scary as Audi. I owned an M5, I should know. The X3 probably rides too harsh for her taste. She is used to a Lexus. I love the Rx and will keep that until it dies, but personally I think a slightly smaller car will be easier for daily run around. The X3 fits that bill.

Ryan,

$37,500 is a spectacular price. The 3.2 Premium MSRP should push $46k. What was the asking price?

CP
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Mike M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pong,

If it's merely the practical get around town and hauling occasional items, I would say RAV4 or CRV. The RAV4 with the v6 is no slouch for it's class vehicle, and seems to suit most needs within that category. The gripes I'd see are prob the textures and finish (OK for price point, but hey, that's why you have the other rides), and the side hinged tailgate. The CRV is surprisingly roomy inside for its size, but a bit lacking on power compared to the rest of the class. Both get decent mpg and run on regular vs. premium, something to consider. You can load both up to the hilt for well below the Euro vehicles, and maintenance may be relatively less in the long term. It's too bad height and awd are a consideration, as if you need the Euro fix, I'd throw in a Jetta TDI wagon with some choice additions and save some further coin. Nice to have a diesel without the AdBlue stuff, too.

Now if you are looking beyond the $35k mark, I'd say it'd prob make sense to get into something larger, like a CPO'd GX (lux'd 4runner) or even just another RX. I'm veering away from the Euro stuff as I'm sensing if your wife likes the Lexus and doesn't like the BMW ride, she'll prob stick with what's familiar.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
CP
Race Director

Mike,

I love the RAV4. Loved it since the original 'cute ute' version. Two things I really love about the current version: 3,576# curn wt., 34.8' turning radius. Best in class in both cases.

I agree that for town run-about, we only need a park anywhere (size and cost) car. The RAV4 is the best bang for the buck. Especially if we still have the RX for longer trips. But then when the RX dies, the RAV4 may be a bit lacking. I think we will cross that bridge when we get there. My current thinking is get the RAV4 -4, or hybrid and load up the interior (heated seats are a must). Even then, she would still need to live with the the wind noise and so-so ride quality.

CP
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '06 RAV4 with 90k miles that has been great. It has the V6 and has plenty of power along with good mpg if you aren't heavy on the throttle. It's a combination that is still hard to beat in its class but will certainly not stack up to the the RX interior wise. I wish there where a Lexus version available. That would probably be my next vehicle. I'm waiting to see what the new CRV is like. A V6 would be good.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a second gen RAV4 - decent car - nothing to rave about. a couple of other choices in the cute ute market - the subie Forrester. no longer a wagon but a small SUV and i really think Hyundai (Tucson or Santa Fe) makes a great product. super warranty and their interiors keep getting better. price is decent as well. just 2 more to consider - happy hunting!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

it was a pretty good price... and I think the msrp was around 45-46. I think they were asking 39,900 or right at 40k. The tax is what kills you on those cars. So the way i look at it is I try to get out the door for the asking price or lower. Although I got the dealer down 4k on the 911 price. Have you driven one? Thats what sold me

Originally Posted by CP
Mark,

We are considering an X3 as well. But once out of warranty, BMW is just as scary as Audi. I owned an M5, I should know. The X3 probably rides too harsh for her taste. She is used to a Lexus. I love the Rx and will keep that until it dies, but personally I think a slightly smaller car will be easier for daily run around. The X3 fits that bill.

Ryan,

$37,500 is a spectacular price. The 3.2 Premium MSRP should push $46k. What was the asking price?

CP
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike M.
I'd throw in a Jetta TDI wagon with some choice additions and save some further coin.
Wagon! Wagon!

Originally Posted by Mike M.
I'd say it'd prob make sense to get into something larger, like a CPO'd GX (lux'd 4runner) or even just another RX. I'm veering away from the Euro stuff as I'm sensing if your wife likes the Lexus and doesn't like the BMW ride, she'll prob stick with what's familiar.
Exactly what I was thinking, you're sorta specing yourself right back into another RX.

Put a gun to my head for an SUV choice, I like the idea of the first-gen Subaru Tribeca: Alfa-type styling with Japanese reliability. Whoa, 19K miles! http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2411204995.html

Quick Reply: O/T: Small SUV, Q5, RAV 4