Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche leather cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

colorplus.com is another well regarded manufacturer. I used their soffener and the color with great success:

http://www.colorplus.com/products/soffener
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fnunez
The more cleaners and leather conditioners you apply the worse the leather gets. So basically I'm searching for a product that can hydrate the leather.
What you'are describing ("hydrate the leather") is exactly the purpose of these "leather conditioners". Now the cleaners may be a different thing.

Lexol and Leatherique have been used by many here.

Oh, and welcome to the mayhem!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

For many years I used Lexol. Then I tried Zaino.

On the advice of fellow Rennlisters I've tried the Leatherique.

Leatherique is by far the best I have ever used.

You need to follow their instructions on their website to get the desired results. (No point in me telling you how - it is all right there). It doesn't work very well (softening) if you don't follow the instructions, and all you are doing is wasting the product.

I always apply leather conditioner with my bare hand and massage it in. I switched from the Lexol because it would dry my hands out, the Leatherique does not, actually moistens them well.

Leatherique instructions say it is best to leave the rejuvinator on for 48 hours. This allows the product to be absorbed into the leather and the fibers swell forcing the dirt out.

Most all mass-market leather today (automobile/ home furnishings) has a light coat of polyurethane for stain resistance. Natural leather (naked) and suede does not, therefore they absorb everything (oils) and cannot clean easy. Your seats would oil stain quickly, especially where the head rests are, if the leather was not coated.

I'm pleased with the results from Leatherique and will stick with them for the rejuvenator type products, even though it is a bit labor intensive. If anyone has a faster easier solution, please let me know. The Zaino leather conditioner has a great smell and after using the Leatherique two-step, I apply the Zaino. Best of both worlds.

Check the detailing threads for more info.

Regards,
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Lexol is the best. We have used them on saddles for a long time as well as all the car's. The scent is also the closest to factory leather smell when its new. They also offer a cleaner.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

We may have another "best oil" thread going here . . . .
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I beleive you can't go wrong with any of the following, all of which have already been mentioned:

1) Leatherique
2) Colorplus - soffener
3) Lexol

The Leatherique and Colorplus soffener are similar and have to sit for a while to work properly. The Lexol product is a different type and is quicker to use and much more readily avialable locally for most.

Ultimately if you regularly treat your leather properly with any of these products you are likely to be pleased with the results.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried both Lexol and Leatherique.

Lexol seemed very mild.

Leatherique, on the other hand, is the best cleaner period. Not sure if because it is more aggressive or not. But it brought back the pop and color of my blue seat I never knew it had.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that Leatherique Rejuvenator oil should be applied liberally and then the car should sit in the sun for as long as possible (re apply rejuvenator during this time if neccessary). But then when it's all bakes and done, should you directly apply the Pristine Clean with a spray bottle as per the instructions? I think I remember someone saying you should first wipe off the seats with damp, warm MF towels over and over again (like 5 towels) and then apply the pristine clean, then repeat wipe off with damp, warm MF towels and then buff with a dry MF towel. I have also had mixed results with Leatherique, so I might be doing something wrong..?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
But then when it's all baked and done, should you directly apply the Pristine Clean with a spray bottle as per the instructions? I think I remember someone saying you should first wipe off the seats with damp, warm MF towels over and over again (like 5 towels) and then apply the pristine clean, then repeat wipe off with damp, warm MF towels and then buff with a dry MF towel.?
I follow the instructions. I believe that the Pristine Clean helps clean away the dirt and oil. Using water at this point may "smear" the Rejuvenator Oil (oil and water not mixing?). That may be where you ran into trouble. I use MF towels dampened with water to remove the Pristine Clean and later for a final "buff"
Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Viggo,

I was told once that many leather re-conditioners contain some beeswax. It would make sense that Leatherique has some as the bottle will have solids form near the surface if kept in a cold environment. Hence, the warm car requirement to absorb.

Beeswax would not be easily removed with just water, warm or cold, and you would end up smearing the dirt around. The Pristine Clean works well at removing the rejuvinator and the dirt that rises to the surface.

We used six white cotton bath towels torn into pieces to do my friend's very dirty 964 seats, and even after three treatments, dirt kept coming off. His seats had been sitting exposed at his shop for a few years, The leather was quite stiff, but not cardboard, and it came back nicely, but not like new. The seats were removed from the car and it made it much easier.

My limited experience with Leatherique has been positive, although very time-consuming. We did follow the instructions and leave the rejuvinator on for 48 hours before removing, and waiting another 24 hours before reapplying it.

Hope your results are good.

Sure would love to know a faster way.

Regards,
Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with the Guru...?

I wanted to try Chemical guys for leather because he talks about the smell as well.

I usually use Lexol, but I was never happy with the scent.

Any long-term updates on Lexol, and other products listed above?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:43 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried many different leather products on different cars including Lexol, and I have settled on 2 go-to's:

1. Leatherique: my fav if I have enough time and heat to work with. It leaves a beautiful matte finish and feel.

2. Leather Masters: The cleaner is very good, and can be done quickly. Spray on, agitate gently and wipe down with MF towels. Then follow up with a wipe of the "Vital" conditioner. The conditioner leaves a bit of a sheen IMO, but not shiny by any means. I just prefer the matte appearance of Leatherique.

I do not like the Lexol leather cleaner or conditioner. Also didn't like the Sonax foam product.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I cleaned with a few different leather products before trying leatherique. The amount of dirt that came out and the quality of the resulting cleaned leather were both astonishing. My water bucket was nearly black by the time I was done. My seats didn't look dirty before I started, but when I was done they looked almost like new.

For vinyl the 303 is good but its shiny. If you store indoors and don't need the heavy duty UV protection that 303 provides, give Nextzett Cockpit Premium a shot:
Amazon Amazon

Not shiny and works well for both cleaning and rejuvenating.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:00 PM
enjoytheride
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I strongly endorse Leather Master's products. There system is the only thing I've used that noticeably softens leather and removes hideous shine, ala:

Old 10-20-2017, 08:47 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

I used Leatherique on seats that I was unaware had been re-dyed and it's been a nightmare. In the end, I'm replacing the covers after getting the foam covered in plastic to stop any further transference. Not the products problem, the PO hadn't mentioned anything about the sets being messed with. It worked well on the back seats.

Quick Reply: Porsche leather cleaner