Ipod/USB/SD solution for C(D)R-210/220

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Aatos
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ipod/USB/SD solution for C(D)R-210/220

Hi everyone,

My car is equipped with the CR-210 and while I wanted to keep it original, I also wanted to play MP3's. I thought about switching to 220, but the Aux in and resulting separate control gadget didn't appeal to me at all. So one day I found a product called Xcarlink which is a CD changer emulator. This means that you can hook up your Ipod or memory card and control it through the head unit as it were a CD changer. Since my original Sony CD Changer had allready given up the ghost this seemed like no-brainer for me. The only problem was that Xcarlink's website does not list support for Porsche branded radios, but they had a "Becker" version available. I couldn't find any confirming headsups about it working with 210 but at ~90€ I thought what the hell... I think similar systems have been available earlier but I seem to recall that they were far more expensive.

Anyway, I'm not an Ipon person so I ordered the USB/SD version and they shipped it promptly. After some hunting I found Becker radio removal tools, removed the radio, disconnected the original CD-changer cable and hooked up xcarlinks's cable on it's place. I'm happy to report it worked without problems! I can now play my mp3's with far more better audio quality than with one of those FM transmitter thingies and control the player with my original headunit !

Here's the doohickey:

The included connecting cable is conveniently just long enough that I could route it from behind the dash under the passenger floor mat and place the unit under my passenger seat's fire extinguisher mount. Also, since 220 has identical CD changer connector and had same changers available, I'm pretty sure this will work with it too. Hope this is a useful tip for someone!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! - Does it also charge the iPod through the cable? (which iPod are you using BTW?)
Old 05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice! Thanks for sharing this with us. (btw the correct link = http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...4&cat=0&page=1)

Aatos: did it come with a data cable?

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Targajack
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod

Do you guys think CR-1 with cdc2 changer has he same connector.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
Nice! - Does it also charge the iPod through the cable? (which iPod are you using BTW?)
Definitely need to know this!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Aatos
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all,

There seems to be some confusion: They have two different products based on the same CD emulator idea: an Ipod connector device and a USB/SD player device. I have the latter but the functionality on the products is the same.

Originally Posted by deekay911
You don't need external power for your Ipod or the USB, they are charged from the HU, just like the original CD changer is. They say it's compatible with all ipods or iphones, click for specs.

Originally Posted by The Eagle
Aatos: did it come with a data cable?
Yeah the data cable is fixed on the unit. It also came with generic usb cable and a line in cable.

Quick Reply: Ipod/USB/SD solution for C(D)R-210/220