right side speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 243 Posts
Default right side speakers not working

Hi Guys,

My right side speakers are not working!! I did replace my non-hifi speakers, front and rear, so it's not the speakers. They work a bit, but they are extremely weak and "crackly". the left side is cranking just nicely!

I have the CR-1 (Cassette player) and am wondering if the HU has had it and needs replacing or is there something else going on. If it was just one speaker on the right, then I would think it was wiring or something, but both on the right side??

If I do get a new HU, then I'm looking at Nakamichi CD-400 or CD-500.

TIA!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

could be:
1. Loose wiring to right side
2. blown right side of amplifier (internal or external)
3. bad right side crossover
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Hi Kika, Thank you!

1. if both are not working, where is the logical first place to check for loose wiring?
2. I believe the amp is internal to the HU, so this would imply a blown HU (is there an external amp for non-hifi setup? I don't think so..)
3. Where does this crossover reside?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

1: logical places are at the point of connection, typically the wire will not break in the middle, unless there is a point of stress. If you don't have the HiFi, then I don't think there is a crossover, just a cap on the tweeter, but there is a wire that comes from the HU to the door an then to the speakers. Since both are out, the problem is prior to the junction where the wires spit to high and low, so check that junction, I think it is in the door, you will have to remove the speakers to get to it. It is probably easiest to remove the panel to access. At the other end the HU comes out pretty easily if you have the spade tools to unlock it from the can. check for loose connections at that end. If it isn't the wires, then the HU might have a blown right side. before you jump to that conclusion, I would have it tested, assuming you want to keep it. if you are in the mood for an upgrade, I would probably just ditch the whole thing and get a new HU and speakers.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

I found a '95 Radio wiring diagram (.pdf and 1meg, so I can't post it) and it looks like the culprit is either the connection at the HU or in fact the HU is cooked. There is no crossover in the door and the door and rear speaker wires run off the HU and do not cross in the door.

My guess is the amp in the HU is toast. No reason that randomly both plugs got loose, and because the right speakers are somewhat working (crackling and very low volume, but proves the wires aren't open). I will purchase the radio removal tool and fiddle around with the HU, but most likely will think about replacing. A lot of great info when "searching" for radio recommendations! TIA!!

Quick Reply: right side speakers not working