HID Conversion installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default HID Conversion installed!!!

Hi guys,

As an active member of the UCR and reader of PANO, I thought I would write a tech article about the purchase installation of an HID kit I had acquired a few weeks ago ( no affliaction etc).

"Incredible!" is my first reaction. The second would be of course; "Why didn't I get these installed earlier!!??" By this time, I have had my H1 4300K Xtreme Digital HID conversation kit from XenonDepot.com installed for just over a year now.

Admittedly, driving a Guards Red '96 993 with a factory appearance, save for my springs and a few subtle changes, has been the idea; keep it factory. However, with the odd DE event at Mosport and a few trips here and there, night driving was beginning to leave me with some reservations. My car is 13 years old, its time to replace the headlights.

I replaced the factory bulbs with factory bulbs when I bought the car in 2007 (a story in itself!). However, now was the time to make a dramatic change! I was always interested in the Litronic headlights in 993 C2s, C4s and TTs but had a lot of difficulty sourcing a new "old" system. So, with a winter of research behind me, the HID kit from XenonDepot.com became the most viable and price-value upgrade I could source. Here are some of the reasons I chose the XenonDepot.com HID kit over others:

Xenon Depot uses a German made Philips bulbs are used (optional)
The HID bulbs used in the XenonDepot HID kit uses custom molded base that literally replaced my factory H1 halogen bulbs with no modifications to the housing. The bulbs in the HID kit are laser aligned to ensure optically correct beam patterns. The HID kit that I selected uses German made Philips bulbs which are the same bulbs that are used in OEM HID applications. CE, UL & E4 certified OEM grade Xenon HID components
Low draw ballasts meaning that I could safely power the ballasts directly from the OEM harness

I selected to go with the H1 4300k HID Kit that uses Philips bulbs. The "H1" kit was selected as my vehicle uses an H1 halogen bulb for the low beams. The H1 HID kit comes with HID bulbs that have been fitted with custom molded H1 bases that literally plugged into my headlights with no modifications. Steve at XenonDepot explained that their bulbs are laser aligned so that the focal point of the HID bulb sits in the same spot as the focal point of the halogen bulb. As a result, the OEM beam pattern is literally replicated. This is important as the last thing I wanted to do was blind oncoming drivers. The 4300 Kelvin color temperature was selected to provide the most OEM look and feel. XenonDepot.com has higher Kelvin temperature kits available however the 4300k kits provide the brightest and most functional output (which is what I was after). OEM Porsche Litronics headlights use 4300k bulbs as well. The 4300k HID kit combined with the factory Porsche projector headlights on my 993 resulted in a factory look!

The installation (recommended by Xenondepot.com) was yet another pleasant and professional experience. They took pictures of my car before, during and after. They never drilled any holes! They installed
the ballasts inside, behind my license plate and ran the wiring through
the factory grommets! To the untrained eye, you cannot even tell there
is even any kind of aftermarket upgrade! The real test was of course at night. This came soon as I made a trip to London, Ont to visit a client of mine. Later that evening, the rain started. No problem. I could see clearly all the puddles, shadows and more importantly, they could see me.

If any Porsche owners are looking to upgrade their headlights, I highly,
highly recommend the HID kit form Xenon Depot. Tell them which model
you drive and they will in tern; suggest the best factory looking kit.

Looking forward to seeing P-cars....at night!

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Porsche-99...-Kit-s/328.htm

Coop
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Did you consider doing the high beam as well?

BTW best color and year
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi, i never thought of that actually... I can't tell you what a difference it has made. I am a big fan of the 'factory look'. Nice C4s! I love the color!!!

Quick Reply: HID Conversion installed!!!