Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy door lock - right place to grease?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Noisy door lock - right place to grease?

I've noticed recently that when I unlock my doors, the noise of the motor/actuator in the driver's side door is starting to get louder. It sounds like the motor is having to work too hard to unlock the door.
Is there somewhere inside the door where a bit of lube would resolve the problem?
I can certainly go inside the door and look around, but was hoping someone here may have addressed the same issue in the past and point me in the right direction within the door.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure if it's related, but i compared my door handle feel to Andrea's this past weekend and was absolutely amazed how soft his was and how much grit I was feeling when pulling mine.

Several judicious squirts of WD40 into the door handle itself later and mine was as soft as his. Interestingly, the entire process of door opening and closing got much smoother and infinitely more pleasant. So you might want to start with that. Although I don;t think the motor itself should be affected by this. I would think you'd spray onto the latch at the door jamb to affect that.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestion about spraying the latch...hadn't even occured to me... certainly worth trying before taking the door apart.

Edit- Had a look...nope lubing the latch won't help. It moves freely enough and doesn't move when the door is locked/unlocked. So the door is going to have to be opened up.

Last edited by PNogC2S; 05-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Noisy door lock - right place to grease?