Clutch Slave installed - Clutch pedal hard to depress in gear at stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Slave installed - Clutch pedal hard to depress in gear at stop

Hi all,

Looking for someone to chime in with experience with clutch systems. My car had been exhibiting sings of bad clutch slave and accumulator for a long time. The symptoms included overflowing reservoir tank and hard clutch pedal after the car was sitting for a day. I never had any issues of clutch pedal once the engine was running. I was doing some major maintenance since last month so I figured I'd take care of the problem at the same time.

Fast forward to this past saturday, finally got the car on the ground after doing new shocks, springs, LCA bushings, front diff seals and clutch slave/accumulator. I bled the clutch slave system until there was no air. I proceeded to road test the car and shake it down for about an hour. During that time, I immedialtely noticed that the clutch would seem to lose the hydraulic assist as I bring the pedal up towards where you feel the clutch engage. Curiosly, if the transmission was not in gear, but in neutral, the clutch pedal would engage smoothly all the way until several repetitions where I would get that shuddering feeling or hard pedal towards the top of the pedal travel.

To me, this sounded like air was still trapped in the system so I pulled the car back in, jacked it up and inspected for leaks. None to be found. I went to work for another 40 minutes to bleed the system and couldn't find any air in the system. I drove the car again and i'm still having the same problem.

Any thoughts on where to look for issues? Anyone having similar experiences point me in the right direction?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Shahrams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you change the slave cylinder and replaced also the oil line or just the cylinder itself?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahrams
Did you change the slave cylinder and replaced also the oil line or just the cylinder itself?
Just the slave cylinder. I think you're referring to the black rubber hose with fitting on the end, i'm assuming that's the supply from the front reservoir. Have you seen issues with these faliing? I suppose an easy test would be to pressure check the hose for leaks...
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Shahrams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha, thats it, the blacke rubber hose at the end of the cylinder. That hose is usually changed whenever people replace the slave cylinder.
I had a similar problem as I installed a new aftermarket slave cylinder few years ago. It took me a while and few flushing and bleeding turns until i finaly gave up and took out the slave cylinder just to find out that I forgot to install the spring under the front rubber boot )

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave installed - Clutch pedal hard to depress in gear at stop