993 Forum 1995-1998

5-point racing harnesses anchor points

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-point racing harnesses anchor points

I installed GT3 carbon racing seats to my 993, but don't find anchor points for my 5-point racing harnesses. Stock seat belts used one installed to the seat. Should I use seat side plate? And lower center belt?

Anybody?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Here's what I did in my old RSA, which was approved by PCA tech inspection before tracking the car: http://web.me.com/ilko/RSA_Black/How...rsche_911.html
Old 05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

More than you ever wanted to know, but could save you from serious injury or death (you have to download the file from the link): http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/researc...s-installation

If I'm reading correctly about mounting on the "seat side plate", you do not want any belt mounted to anything but the chassis. Whether you do that on the door side with the existing bolt is up to you. But the inside anchor point has to be at a drill through point, with proper backing plate (like Ilko's). Crotch strap location is self-explanatory once you look at the mounting schematic.

For the shoulder harness, it must be attached at the proper height to a proper roll hoop. And pay critical attention to height of the shoulder/harness bar on that hoop in relation to the height of your shoulders when seated AND the belt holes in the seat.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack, check out bkauto.com. They have some parts like sub-belt bars that might be useful to you.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A) I think the GT3 seat has a BK option to bolt to the seat
B)
More than you ever wanted to know, but could save you from serious injury or death (you have to download the file from the link): http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/researc...s-installation
+ 1. These guys know their stuff.

It was relatively common thinking that the sub belts (or anti sub belts) only held the lap belt in place. Through testing I think with these guys, it showed the subs had to hold up to something like 1500 lbs of force at I think 35 mph. I might have the specifics off, but it was pretty surprising.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
I installed GT3 carbon racing seats to my 993, but don't find anchor points for my 5-point racing harnesses. Stock seat belts used one installed to the seat. Should I use seat side plate? And lower center belt?

Anybody?
I'd use the RS mounts or there is an outfit in England that has a sidemount w/ integral belt mount ala GT3, but I can never remember the name
Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I'd use the RS mounts or there is an outfit in England that has a sidemount w/ integral belt mount ala GT3, but I can never remember the name
The BK mounts function the same. The bolt to the seatbelt mounts on the floor, keeping those intact (or not) and provide aluminum loops to secure the two beltline belts.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The BK mounts function the same. The bolt to the seatbelt mounts on the floor, keeping those intact (or not) and provide aluminum loops to secure the two beltline belts.
Thats not the issue, the door side is easy, just use BK or Rennline hardware

on the tunnel side you need something like the RS mount or a seat sidemount w/ integral hardpoint for the belt
RS tunnel side stock seatbelt mount

3mm washers that accompany the RS mount, for the other 3 corners of the seat rails

for the subs you can use pad eyes

or GT3 sub bar
here's the whole shebang ready to mount in the car

the tunnel mount for the harness is a pad eye mounted per the factory

Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

here it is mounted, you can ssee the harness pad eye aft of the tunnel side seat mount, and Rennline hardware on the stock door side hardpoint. w/ GT3 sub bar
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the same as ilko using the measurements on the diagram Bill posted.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Thats not the issue, the door side is easy, just use BK or Rennline hardware

on the tunnel side you need something like the RS mount or a seat sidemount w/ integral hardpoint for the belt
RS tunnel side stock seatbelt mount
I guess I don't understand-unless the 993 chassis is different? I used the tunnel side mounts from BK. They clear my Profi SPG XL and keep the stock belt mounts that stand up.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9001.php
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

They offer two others:

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9004.php
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9005.php
Old 05-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks pals! Super helpful. Didn't expect so much info reply. True motorsport spirit here!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
a 993 does not have floor mounted seat belt mounts on the tunnel side. The stock tunnel side belt receptacle mounts to and slides w/ the seat. It's best to retain that feature which the RS mounts do. BK does offer a similar item but the RS, the associated 3mm washers and the GT3 sub bar all work as a system, all have 3mm thickness to keep the seat level on the track. The subs and stock belt receptacle will all slide w/ the seat ensuring best fit and performance, only the harness ends will then be mounted to chassis hard points.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Got it, I'll take a closer look at my 993. The third option I posted mounts to the seat rail, and now I suppose that is why it exists.

Quick Reply: 5-point racing harnesses anchor points