Sponsored by:

Airbag light - source of fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Airbag light - source of fault?

Background: I had a new airbag wheel installed this spring, and as part of the winter overhaul I also replaced the stock seats with Euro GT3's.

The airbag light is now on.

I hooked up to Durametric, and it is not recognizing the airbag module to identify error codes and reset. It does interact with other modules though.

Any ideas - should I try a different scanner tool?

Also wondering, are there any sensors related to the seat change that are causing this? Or is it strictly a steering wheel issue?

Thanks for any input.

Best,

Matt
Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Background: I had a new airbag wheel installed this spring, and as part of the winter overhaul I also replaced the stock seats with Euro GT3's.

The airbag light is now on.

I hooked up to Durametric, and it is not recognizing the airbag module to identify error codes and reset. It does interact with other modules though.

Any ideas - should I try a different scanner tool?

Also wondering, are there any sensors related to the seat change that are causing this? Or is it strictly a steering wheel issue?

Thanks for any input.

Best,

Matt
If the airbag control unit has ever been replaced it may have the 996 unit. If it does the control unit has to be accessed via the 996 selection in the Durametric tool.

There is a TSB, 6863, that supercedes the 993 PN with a 996 one. A new airbag control unit comes "unlocked". It has to be "locked" and coded for the 993 using the PWIS.

Last edited by hoggel; 05-05-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I believe my airbag control module is stock (1997), in which case just the steering wheel and airbag are new.

The durametric unit was the one at the shop, so not easy for me to go back and re-try. I've been meaning to get my own one anyway, so now is probably the time.

Best,

Matt
Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Interesting. I believe my airbag control module is stock (1997), in which case just the steering wheel and airbag are new.

The durametric unit was the one at the shop, so not easy for me to go back and re-try. I've been meaning to get my own one anyway, so now is probably the time.

Best,

Matt
If you can't access the ACU I'd suspect it is either bad or a 996 unit.

I had an issue with the airbag light after the place where I had my car stored used a jump pack to start the car. They had forgotten to put the trickle charger on but that's another story. After the jump the airbag light was on and the durametric wouldn't communicate. I got two from a dismantler (both 993 PNs) that I could not access either. I finally swapped it with one from my other 993. The airbag light was out and and the Durametric could communicate with it.

I ordered a new one for the other 993 (received 996 PN) and now in that car the airbag light is on with faults for both seatbelts (read using Durametric and the 996 menu). Tomorrow I go to the dealer to have the ACU locked and coded in accordance with the TSB.

I have been disappointed with the Durametric for the 993. Resetting codes is about all it does. Usually I use my vagcom in OBD mode on the 993 instead of the Durametric.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I've experienced the same problem since swapping my 4 spoke for a 3 spoke. I finally unplugged the light! A terrible fix, but at least the light no longer taunts me! I'd love to find a fix as my durametric won't reset it either.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if this is helpful. My '95 993 airbag light came on. My local indie shop dismantled the airbag, cleaned all the contact points - reassembled it and the light went away.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spent $110 to have the dealer reset my light when the indy's Durametric couldn't do the job.

The light was tripped when I neglected to properly plug in the air bag when I changed steering wheels. Didn't press it in until I heard the "click" and it fell out when I reassembled (unbeknownst to me), so when I energized the ignition the air bag light was tripped. It might also be the "clock spring" duffer behind the steering wheel that's the problem if that was bollexed up in any way.

You may have to see a dealer in the end, or just remove the freakin' light. With the light on, air bags will not function in a crash.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Found a another TSB that says the 996 airbag control unit was installed in production starting with 1997 cars. That means you would have to access the airbag control unit in all 97-98s as a 996 with the Durametric by going through the 996 menu. If you use the 993 Durametric menu the airbag will not respond.

Originally Posted by Porsche
Group 6
Number 9612
Model 911
Part Identifier 6863
November 14, 1996
Subject:
Air Bag Control Unit
ATTENTION: Service Manager / Service Technician
Models Affected:
911 Carrera Model Year 1997
911 Turbo Model Year 1997
Concern:
As of Model Year 1997 the above-mentioned vehicles have a new air bag control unit, part number, 996 618 217 00 installed in production. This control unit has been superseded to part number, 996 618 217 01 which is the same air bag control unit used in the Boxster.
The new air bag control unit can only be diagnosed and locked using the new Porsche System Tester 2 (PST2).

Last edited by hoggel; 05-06-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Wow - that's interesting. Thank you for sharing. Will try the 996 menu when I get a chance.

Best,

Matt
Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Any help for a guy with an early build (1/94) 1995? I read somewhere to try using the 964 durametric program to turn off the airbag light. Any advice?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced both airbags. The driver side is a 3-spoke. The wheel was changed a few years ago, and the lights did not come on. But now I can't get rid of the AB light. I hooked up Durametric and got the following codes.

My car is a very late (7/96) 96, but it still has the 993 control unit. inspection is coming up next month, and afraid this wont pass.

Any ideas????

Name:  durametric_codes.jpg
Views: 2868
Size:  46.3 KB
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM
levtron
Racer

Really no opinions???

In the interim I did get a used 996 controller and a new clock spring, and will replace the clock spring later today. I have a feeling that is not going to fix it. I will tackle the controller later this week if no result.

Does anyone know where exactly the controller is on a 993. Do i need to drop the entire bottom of the dash? I also read some where that there are funky screws. Any recommendation on how to remove, and what to replace them with once they are out? I am not planning on getting the specialized tool, just for the this one job.

I know I should have asked this earlier, but can I recode the controller? I guess a trip to EPE in Natick will get me access to all the proper Hammer/PIWIS tools, but want to make sure. I do have the Durametric, as seen above, but don't believe it will be of much help here.

HELP>>>>
Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by levtron
Really no opinions???

In the interim I did get a used 996 controller and a new clock spring, and will replace the clock spring later today. I have a feeling that is not going to fix it. I will tackle the controller later this week if no result.

Does anyone know where exactly the controller is on a 993. Do i need to drop the entire bottom of the dash? I also read some where that there are funky screws. Any recommendation on how to remove, and what to replace them with once they are out? I am not planning on getting the specialized tool, just for the this one job.

I know I should have asked this earlier, but can I recode the controller? I guess a trip to EPE in Natick will get me access to all the proper Hammer/PIWIS tools, but want to make sure. I do have the Durametric, as seen above, but don't believe it will be of much help here.

HELP>>>>
A supply voltage code? That could be an indication to follow up.

The controller is right in the center. A bit above and in front of the console switches. It is secured with three nuts that go on studs. Mine were regular self locking nuts but the control unit had been replaced before. Not sure what type of nuts are original. You can get at two of the nuts by lying on your back on the floor, with your head by the accelerator pedal, and reaching up over your head under the center dash. Get at the other nut by doing the same thing from the other side. The connector (yellow) is on the passenger side held on the unit by a locking lever.

A shop had tried two different used 996 pn AB control units in my car and weren't able to communicate with either of them using the Durametric. After that I told them to forget it and I ordered a new one from Sunset.

I don't know if you can use a control unit that was previously in a 996. When the units are new they come "unlocked". They must be "locked" and programmed for the car type using the PWIS (maybe the hammer will work). The Durametric will not work. I don't know if the car type can be reprogrammed. If it can it would have to be with the PWIS.

When I installed the new 996 PN unit in my car the airbag light was on with faults for the contacts in both seats. Of course the seat contacts are not part of the 993 system. After I had the dealer lock and program the unit for 993 the AB light is out.

EDIT: I called the mechanic and asked him what special tool he uses to get original nuts off. He said, "long nose vice grips".
Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

By way of update to my initial post, I just got around to hooking up to a second (professional edition) durametric unit.

This time, the airbag module was recognized, and a few faults (including supply voltage) were identified and then cleared. Easy peasy.

BTW - it was recognized through the 996 (not 993) menu.

Thanks for the tips above re. the 996 part number. And thanks to Alain Serhan (Radio996) for the assist at our first track day of the season at Tremblant.

Best,

Matt
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
levtron
Racer

Thanks for the info.

Since my airbag deployed, and I have replaced them both, should my first move, prior to trying anything else be to go to a dealer/Indi that has the tools (hammer/pwis/etc) and see if they can just reset it?

Quick Reply: Airbag light - source of fault?