Sponsored by:

Computer won't reset after SAI cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM
fiz140
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer won't reset after SAI cleaning

Brief history - The check engine light came on shortly after taking the car out of hibernation this spring. After connecting their 32 bit obdII reader the local porsche shop confirmed that both engine banks seemed to be clogged. A sai cleaning/flush was "successfully" performed with all six ports flowing freely. Less than 400 miles later the check engine light again graced me with it's presence. Back to the shop and this time only one bank, 4-6 comes back with a code. Bear with me now because I am not a mechanic and I am trying to relate this as clearly as possible. The shop tech and the shop owner seemed puzzled because this code would show up very quickly on their scanner. They kept the car overnight and tested again with the engine cold and got the same code for cylinders 4-6. The sai was flushed for a second time and all six ports again flowed freely, but the same 4-6 code. They then replaced the pre-cat O2 sensor for cylinders 4-6 aaand viola no code. This is good, but now the computer will not reset. The tech followed very precise driving instructions in an effort to "reset readiness" and I have driven the car over 300 miles. Still the damn thing will not reset. This is a problem because I have until today to pass emisions. So now I have a nice clean engine but I can't pass emissions until the computer is ready - insert your "not tonight honey I have a headache" jokes here. Thoughts and opinions please.

Thanks,

Fiz
Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 PM
rpaitich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fiz,
I got a P0410 CEL error, clogged SAI. I cleared it. But when I went for smog test in CA the tech said my readiness codes were not set. I found this procedure, drove the car and set the codes, allowing me to pass the fussy CA smog. I took mine out on a low-traffic Sunday morning, so that i could exactly follow the procedure. I drive it twice, to make sure; use cruise control to make sure you maintain speeds. Do NOT exceed 3000 RPM (this may be the hardest part). Page 2 has the driving recipe (this can be found a variety of places).

Buena suerte, Ron

<http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/BMW%20FTP72%20Drive%20Cycle%20Procedure.pdf>
Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have found that just driving the car for a while along various routes it will eventually reset the codes even when trying to follow the procedure hasn't worked, no rhyme or reason to it, just take it out on the highway, do some stop and go driving, get in traffic, a bunch of starts and stops, stop and restart it a few times ... eventually they will reset for you. Good excuse to drive the car all day long. Just keep checking it periodically, and make sure you're not clearing and resetting everything the flags every time you check it.

Quick Reply: Computer won't reset after SAI cleaning