Unloading mid rise lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unloading mid rise lift

I finally pulled the trigger on a Bend Pak MD-6XP which should arrive at my door either the end of this week, or the start of the next. Apparently the driver is not permitted to assist with the unload from the truck, so my plan is to remove it solo using plenty of straps and a portable engine hoist. Has anyone else done it this way, or do I really need to recruit some extra hands and backs?

Thanks,
John
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Specify liftgate. I got mine off that, and after uncrating, was able to wheel it into the garage. It is north of 800lbs, IIRC. If you don't get liftgate, no way it is coming off the truck safely. Typically, liftgate trucks have pallet Jack's on board.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

I doubt very much you'll get enough vertical lift with the engine hoist, to get it off the floor of the truck.

Agreed with the lift gate delivery, that way you'll have a chance.

Mine was off loaded at work with a fork lift, and loaded onto my small utility trailer. I backed the traielr in the shed, and with the help of a handful of friends, unloaded it.

Get all the help you can, better to have too many...than not enough.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

With liftgate, only my wife helped, and that was the uncrating. The driver did nothing but drop it off. It was very simple. I paid $1300 delivered for my Bendpak this way.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, I’ll see if I can specify a lift gate. If not, I don’t think I need much vertical lift with the hoist. Just enough to balance the rear of the lift on its wheels and then pull it out (that’s the part I’m worried about doing solo). Lower the front to wheeled dollies on the ground, hook up the hoist to the back of the lift, raise it a couple of inches, and then pull the remainder out of the truck (or simply have the driver pull the truck forward). If it’s not oriented correctly in the truck, then I’ll have to lift it enough to get dollies under the lift in situ so I can slide it out.

Can't be too much harder than replacing the ignition wires

-John
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You don't even know where the thing will be in the van. Trust me, liftgate will maybe cost $50 more, and they will get it on the ground. Why screw around? **** happens.

Any shipper can provide liftgate through any freight carrier, even after it ships. Lord knows I've had enough customer through the years request this after equipment ships.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It comes on a pallet. I picked mine up at a loading dock.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You don't even know where the thing will be in the van. Trust me, liftgate will maybe cost $50 more, and they will get it on the ground. Why screw around? **** happens.
Uh, not screwing around, that's why I wrote "Thanks, I’ll see if I can specify a lift gate." I'll call ASE in the morning to see what can be done. I just want to avoid the time and hassle of renting a truck and trailer to get this thing to the house.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I also had to pick mine up at the conway station as they won't deliver it unless you have a forklift or a quick way to unload it. Even coming out of the back of a truck is challenge. The arm on a cherry picker isn't long enough to do it easily......

http://docwilenracing.wordpress.com/...d-6xp-install/
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnCh
Uh, not screwing around, that's why I wrote "Thanks, I’ll see if I can specify a lift gate."
No sweat- it just seemed like you were blowing thru the suggestion and focusing on the hoist deal. ASE is who I bought mine thru and did liftgate with no issue. My wife was home alone when the bobtail arrived. I got home from work, we uncrated and got it off the pallet and in the garage. No big deal.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
No sweat- it just seemed like you were blowing thru the suggestion and focusing on the hoist deal. ASE is who I bought mine thru and did liftgate with no issue.
Interesting, I got mine from ASE as well, but I don't remember the liftgate being an option!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After reading Doc's blog (really helpful BTW) it looks like a pickup truck rental is the best option if they can't guarantee a lift gate to my house.

-John
Old 04-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Interesting, I got mine from ASE as well, but I don't remember the liftgate being an option!
I specified it when I ordered it, and they complied with no issues. As I mentioned earlier, I doubt there is a shipment going across the US that can't be specified as liftgate delivery.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I rented the uhaul trailer for $25. It was easy to unload with the drop gate. I did it with no help. The pallet slid easy on the trailer floor. I got it so the lift was partly on the ground then slowly drove forward and it unloaded itself. Put the pump cart together, hooked the ball on the lift and pulled it into the garage by myself.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I rented the uhaul trailer for $25. It was easy to unload with the drop gate. I did it with no help. The pallet slid easy on the trailer floor. I got it so the lift was partly on the ground then slowly drove forward and it unloaded itself. Put the pump cart together, hooked the ball on the lift and pulled it into the garage by myself.
Pretty much did what Jim did only I have my own landscape trailer. Picked it up at the freight terminal, they loaded it on the trailer with their forklift. Tried to get my dogs to assist sliding it off the trailer (they wanted no part of that) but other than that (in the words of Walter Matthau) I did it myself.

Quick Reply: Unloading mid rise lift