wanting to buy a 993 c2

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Gunter I also LOVE the 3.2 Carreras, G50 or not, but I have to disagree with your statement. Given that a 3.2 is, at the very least, 5 years older than an early 993 it is more likely to show age related problems. I am fully aware that the 993 is, in many respects, a more complicated machine but it does have it's advantages. No valve adjustments to be done comes to the top of my head.

Another factor would be finding the right 3.2. They are getting harder to find and as such good ones seem to be going up in price. Same could be said for a 993 I guess.

Just a counterpoint you understand.
Yoh, understood.

I can assure you that the earlier aircooled 911's are a LOT easier to work on; a LOT.............
Anything from an oil change to brakes to suspension to changing plugs and on and on...................
As for mechanical valve adjustments, not a big deal, maybe every 15k?
When it starts ticking a little, adjust the clearance.
With a 993 when it starts clacking, lifters need to be replaced; a fun-job.

Any which way, driving fast costs money.

Are you coming to Nakusp for the Rally?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to our regularly scheduled program...ha!

I have a 53,xxx mile 1996 C2 6 speed in Black that I am selling. I am not going to be in the $27k range but I wanted to put it out there for you to think about.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM
gatech94
5th Gear

You guys are scaring me... I had a 964 (89 911 with g50) that I stored for a friend while he was moving to Germany so every once in a while I was able to drive it. I really liked it but at the same time I've also had the chance to drive a 993 and liked it better. Not that I want the wife to drive but should she have to drive it, the 89 911 is not as refined and not sure she'd be able to drive it? Are the 993 that difficult to maintain? The main reasons I want to own a 993: 1. I like cars, I like owning anything that is collectable, I like the looks, I like the fact it is the last "air" cooled porsche and gives you that old school porsche feel (I've never driven a newer porsche but that's what I've read/heard), I was under the impression that owning a 993 is manageable as far as maintenance but from reading some of these posts that seems not necessarily true? I do realize that I'm looking at a 15 year old car and therefore issues will come about and have to be dealt with. Unfortunately I'm not a diy guy when it comes to cars but have some connections that can help out if need be. But I do appreciate the input and therefore the diligent hunt.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 672 Posts

Having had an '87 Carrera and an '88 Turbo cab as well as a '98 C2S and my current '97 C2, I can tell you the AC on the older cars just didn't work (at least neither of mine did), even in the North. We drove the '97 to Parade last July and stayed cool in 90+ weather. If "Gatech" means you're somewhere in the South, you might want to think about that before getting an '80s 911. Of course, I get ridiculed routinely at work for discussing "AC" and "sports cars" in the same sentence, so I may be off base here, too. I've had the same mechanic since 1991 and we both agree the car needs to be "perfect" when it leaves his shop Spring and Fall, but it isn't cheap for me.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 971 Likes on 567 Posts

I don't think they are difficult to maintain, but they are "older" cars. When I bought my C2 in 2009 it had 10,800 miles on it and I spent $3,200 making it perfect. Last year, I spent about $500 on it for an oil change, 3rd brake light fix and a check of the fuel system to ensure no leaks. I now need to have the gear selector switch replaced (no brake or fog lights) and it has just 12,000 miles now. I bought my C2S last April and spent $400 on it for an oil change and a battery....it has 14,000 miles on it.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Dave, was this sort of what you were inferring with your post to Gunter?
Hey Mark, yes, that's more what I had in mind. Thanks.

Hope all is well with you.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gatech94
You guys are scaring me... I had a 964 (89 911 with g50) that I stored for a friend while he was moving to Germany so every once in a while I was able to drive it. I really liked it but at the same time I've also had the chance to drive a 993 and liked it better. Not that I want the wife to drive but should she have to drive it, the 89 911 is not as refined and not sure she'd be able to drive it? Are the 993 that difficult to maintain? The main reasons I want to own a 993: 1. I like cars, I like owning anything that is collectable, I like the looks, I like the fact it is the last "air" cooled porsche and gives you that old school porsche feel (I've never driven a newer porsche but that's what I've read/heard), I was under the impression that owning a 993 is manageable as far as maintenance but from reading some of these posts that seems not necessarily true? I do realize that I'm looking at a 15 year old car and therefore issues will come about and have to be dealt with. Unfortunately I'm not a diy guy when it comes to cars but have some connections that can help out if need be. But I do appreciate the input and therefore the diligent hunt.
When I suggest to look at a '87-'89 Carrera for affordability and easier maintenance, I mean the 3.2 Carrera, not the 964.

The earlier '89 to mid-91 964 had issues with missing cylinder gaskets causing leaks which were added by Porsche sometime in '91.

Yes, the 993 is a very desirable vehicle and if you can afford it, get one.

And no, it's not comparable to an earlier 911 for performance; the early 911 without power steering and Euro alignment gives a very raw feeling on the road and in the corners.

The 993 has a much improved suspension set-up and more power and corners fantastically. I like both but, they handle differently.

Just because some people have a reasonable cost to maintain a 993 doesn't mean that this will work out for someone with a tight budget. By reasonable cost I mean $2-3000 a year for parts and tires etc. but no major repair bill which can happen!

Also, there is the difference between a 1995 with OBD1 and later 993's with OBD2. The SAI issues that pop up are less scary with OBD1 when the CEL light comes on.

If you absolutely want one, get it. I think a well-maintained 993 would be in the low to mid $30k. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
unclespeed
Rennlist Member

dito to not opening my wallet (3year owner of a MY 96 C2). Ya they're quirky - things will go wrong (and oddly enough fix themselves often...such as electronics going out temporarily), but w/good PPI, regular revy driving, you should have a good experience financially. (Let's just say that my MY 02 540i has cost me tons more). I've got 3 track weekends on it....no sweat at all off the car.

Quick Reply: wanting to buy a 993 c2