Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Becker GP install? Help me run a cable...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Becker GP install? Help me run a cable...

Hi guys,

I have a Becker Grand Prix Radio in my car and want to install the optional iPod connection as well as the microphone for the Bluetooth handsfree.

The iPod kit doesn't seem to be too hard to put in place, but I have an issue with the Bluetooth microphone.

I want to place it above the rear view mirror, between the sunvisors. The idea it to tuck the cable underneath the windscreen rubber seal, and pop it behind the dashboard.

But where do I get it below the dashboard? For the life of me, I can't find an opening.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Wishing you all a fab weekend

Jens
Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM
hodmandod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jenskleis

I had this issue a year or so ago when I fitted the Becker GP. I was unable to find a path to the windshield rubber, so here it what I did. Unscrew the cover next to the left dash vent, and you can feed the wire through here, and then under the windshield rubber. I put the speaker above the mirror, and it works fine. The wire will be exposed for 2-3 inches, so it is not perfect, but perhaps someone else has a better fix. However, it is very hard to see it in that position.

Philip
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Warpig
Pro

I had a similar issue running wires in my 95'. Take off dash pad it is easy to run your wire across the underside of the dash pad area probably the ONLY wasted space in the entire car! You can easily go all the way across the underside of the dash pad with wires if you remove your guages. the trouble lies in getting to the bottom half of the dash where the radio lives. I found one, and only one hole from top to bottom. Porsche did a wonderful job sealing the top and bottom portions of the dash from each other and it is nearly impossible to drill a hole for yourself unless your windshield is out. If your wire doesn't have any funky large connectors on the end that need to plug into the bluetooth port you are in good shape. On the far right under the dash pad against the wall by the right a pillar you should find the antenna amp mounted and the antenna wire going to it. Follow the antenna wire back to the center of the car to just above the radio it should be nicely tied and riveted along the firewall if it is still in the Porsche original configuration and has not been messed with . Follow with your fingers if you have to if I remember the grommet the antenna wire goes through is at least partially hidden from view. You may be able to see it with a mirror from above the dash. this antenna wire goes through a plastic grommet that is in the ONLY hole I could find to the lower dash area. The hole is probably a half inch and there is plenty of room for a few wires to go through it but you will have to poke a hole in the grommet from above the dash with a coat hanger or equivalent to fit more than the antenna wire through because the grommet is form fitted to only allow the antenna wire through. You can also use your coat hanger as a fish tape to lead your wires through. This grommet leads to the back right hand side above the rear of the radio. If you have small enough hands you can also locate the grommet by sticking your hand inside the DIN radio cavity and feel the top right rear of the radio cavity and you will feel where the antenna wire goes through the grommet. Widen hole with coat hanger. fish wire(s).

Nick
Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much guys!

I followed Nick's approach and found the grommet, got the wire through.... and now have hands-free and my iPod connected.

Happy as a pig in mud!

Cheers,

Jens
Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Warpig
Pro

I have my bluetooth mic mounted on top of my steering column cover that was a fun wire run too. glad you got it done.

Quick Reply: Becker GP install? Help me run a cable...