993 Forum 1995-1998

Paint Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Maintenance

Watching one of those cable tv shows showing restoring an older car. One episode mentioned using 3000 grit sandpaper to wet sand down a repainted finish. They then said 3000 grit was equivalent to using newspaper to do it.

I got to thinking about my own 993 16 year old finish. I am one of those semi-retired types who have lots of spare time. So I wax my car as often as 18-24 times/year. I'm currently using a product called bug juice (from the U.K.). A carnuba based wax. But it goes on and off very easily - (as easy as Nu-Finish - which is the easiest product I've ever used). Being I have a Cab, it only takes about 35 minutes to wax on/wax off (after a wash first).

I apply and wipe off by hand - always using clean towels for the wipe off.

Anyhow, the point is as I've looked at my finish - especially since I've been using this bug juice - the finish appears to be getting even more lusterous. The paint has more depth than I ever recall. One reason may be that unlike Nu-Finish - which removes all previous surface stuff - leaving only 1 layer of Nu-Finish on the paint, this carnuba wax can be applied in layers. So I'm thinking the increased depth of the paint (its night metallic blue) is due to the multi-layers of wax.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, as I'm not using any sort of polish I also believe I'm not degradating the clear coat finish - say unlike using a polish with any abrasives.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep waxing!

Good question, I don't see how it can hurt. If you have time and you think it looks nicer, I'd say keep doing what you are doing....

Do you have older pictures that we could compare with newer ones?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Dplus
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

An easy way to check the condition of your paint is to wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol, removing the wax, and take a look at it in direct sunlight. Waxes, glazes, sealants fill in and hide the scratches/swirls in the clearcoat. Hiding imperfections in the paint with waxes or sealants is fine; if it looks good, it looks good!

Post this in the Concours and Car Care forum and you'll get some great advice on maintaining the finish of your car. The guys over there are super helpful and talented, specifically Moe from Glistening Perfection and Phil from from Detailer's Domain.

I'm getting ready to machine polish and wax my cab (it's black) to remove the swirls from improper washing and drying. Just waiting for good weather!

Darell

Quick Reply: Paint Maintenance