Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group recovery (steering wheels that is)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Group recovery (steering wheels that is)

OK, I got my extra 3-spoke wheel the other day and am ready to spearhead a group effort to send them all to Poland for recovery. Those who have seen the results know what to expect, others can see the excellent work here as experience by some R-listers: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...installed.html

So far I got costs of approximately 130 Euros (about $190 at today's rates) for leather and labor. Extra 10 Euros to pad it to make the wheel slightly thicker. I am checking if there are any extra costs for perforated leather. It seems that deviating color stitching is free and a possible color stripe at 12 O-clock might be free as well. The prices above do not include shipping. 4-spoke wheels might cost a bit extra, but not much.

Why do this as a group? Well, first of all, I worked out a 10% discount with them from above prices that might increase if we get more than 5 wheels together. Secondly, we would save significantly on shipping to Europe and back. Although it would add shipping to me in Boston and back to you when done. I'll see if logistics of shipping directly from you to Poland would work better price-wise.

So... those who definitely want to do this, speak up and send me a PM or email on what exactly you intend to do and whether or not you can send your steering wheel (_without airbag_) now and be without one for up to 2 months due to shipping times (I hope it's faster than that based on previous R-listers' experiences).

I will try to keep a list right in this thread of people who are definitely sending the wheels to me. Speak up, please.

Last edited by nile13; 04-14-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Mike,

I'd love to do this now, but need a spare wheel for that kind of turn around time. I was going to hold off till fall. If we can come up with some spare wheels, I'm in.

Shawn
Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Clever thread title.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shawn. I've bought a spare wheel just for that reason (it turned out to be even nicer than my current wheel and will be a shame to send for recovering, but, oh, well). You can look around for a cheap 4-spoke wheel, there are plenty out there. the other possibility is a _really_ cheap 4-spoke or any old Porsche wheel without airbag and later a $50 or so bill from a friendly P-car mechanic with Bosch Hammer to reset the airbag light. Or 2.9 Ohm resistor stuck in there.

Oh, btw. There's a possibility of getting a 3-spoke 996 wheel directly from Polish company for 150 Euros or so (that's $215 and no need to ship there). This is a pretty attractive option in this case, provided that they can get one. They say they probably can.

So there are options. I'd like to see if I can get everything together in the next two weeks or so before shipping them to Europe. So there's some time. If you'd like, indicate which of the above options would work for you.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Clever thread title.
I'll be here all week
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, I'm definately interested in this, but l too don't have a spare wheel for the long turn around time (I sold my 4 spoke after I got my 3 spoke). I'd be interested in the co in Poland just supplying the whole package.

I just want a basic wheel: 3 spoke, black leather, black stitching, & padded to be thicker.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian, they confirmed that they can supply a limited number of 3-spoke black wheels for 150 Euro (about $215 if my math is right). That also saves on shipping one way, which is significant.

From there, the cost will be 130 Euro for recovery in smooth or perforated leather or combination thereof and another 10 Euros for thicker padding. That is before the 10% or so discount. And shipping back, which I calculate to be about $35-40 or less to me in Boston and from here to you if we get a big enough group and don't get hit with customs. Then you can sell existing 3-spoke wheel to recover part of the cost, of course.

Sounds pretty reasonable?

I think this might be my next steering wheel:

Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Brian, they confirmed that they can supply a limited number of 3-spoke black wheels for 150 Euro (about $215 if my math is right). That also saves on shipping one way, which is significant.

From there, the cost will be 130 Euro for recovery in smooth or perforated leather or combination thereof and another 10 Euros for thicker padding. That is before the 10% or so discount. And shipping back, which I calculate to be about $35-40 or less to me in Boston and from here to you if we get a big enough group and don't get hit with customs. Then you can sell existing 3-spoke wheel to recover part of the cost, of course.

Sounds pretty reasonable?

I think this might be my next steering wheel:

Totally hot and what I would go with if I had to have an airbag.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SW

I had my 993 SW recovered by DALLAS SW, I buy American when I can. Their workmanship is GREAT, and short turn around w loaner free, if needed, is great too. After all the expenses, Im pretty sure almost same price, as they are not very expensive.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
I had my 993 SW recovered by DALLAS SW, I buy American when I can. Their workmanship is GREAT, and short turn around w loaner free, if needed, is great too. After all the expenses, Im pretty sure almost same price, as they are not very expensive.
We already covered that in a previous thread. Dallas SW costs 2x more after all is said and done.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I may be interested in getting in on this. I bought an extra 4 spoke steering wheel for less than $50 a few years with the intent of getting a custom recover done on it at some point. I like the look of Chuck's wheel. I'd do something similar.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
Ilko has already addressed this. If you feel like using another vendor, you are more than welcome to do so. Dallas SW is a very high quality vendor and I have only heard good things about them. However, we are discussing specific vendor here that happens to be in Europe (strangely, the same place our cars are made at).
Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Van1, Id like to gather things by the end of this month, so please let me know if you'd like to jump in. 4-spokers are slightly higher cost at 170 Euros with extra thickness and extra thumb rests, just like Chicks. Minus 10% that we will hopefully get.

Mark, I'm yet uncertain about the yellow stripe at 12 O'clock. Other than that... yeah, it looks really good. I had a perforated Momo Competition and loved it. The company also offers Alcantara as an extra cost option, but I don't think it's practical enough for a daily driver.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I would not recommend Alcantara for any surface that has human contact very often, like a steering wheel does. Methinks leather would hold up much better in the long run...

Quick Reply: Group recovery (steering wheels that is)