Sponsored by:

roof rack adjusted to level

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts
Default roof rack adjusted to level

OK, Thule gutter mounts work just fine...the 300 Gutter kit(6" high) works very well, but the rack is at a severe nose high attitude. While it functions well, it just doesn't look good to my eye, especially loaded up.

So, I got the taller(8" high) 387 Gutter mount kit, got a great discount from the bike shop I race for...but still not cheap. The 387 kit retails for almost $180...yikes.

Anyway, leave the 6" tall front gutter mounts, install a pair of the 8" tall on the rears. Presto, the rack is level now. While the rear taller mounts are certainly more pronounced, the load is now level, a big visual improvement AFAIK.

I will soon have a complete set-2 300(6"tall), and 2 387(8"tall) gutter mounts for sale. They have a RL'ers name on them for right of first refusal...Paul K you got a email.

I think with a little shifting of the bike mounts, the rocket box will fit between with bikes attached. The last pic was just a test fit. It's goinna be tight, that's for sure. If I can get that baby up there, it's got family vacation truckster written all over it. Now...where do I get that self adhesive simulated wood grain trim?
Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Looks good. Go one more level higher and you can have downforce!

Is that the exact, recommended spot for the rear mounts? I know Yakima specs out a certain mount-to-windshield distance for their Q Towers, but I have found that that distance can be adjusted (within reason) without any compromise in stability or safety. Maybe you can tweak the level based on the rise/fall of the roof line.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Joe, I'd be interested in that 'extra' 6" and 8" pair you have if the first right of refusal...refuses.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice set-up! Are you a CAT racer?

Here is mine. The 997 has an intergrated system made by Thule but held hostage by Porsche for the feet and load bars. Although amazing German design in that the feet never actually touch the roof of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Academictech
Hey Joe, I'd be interested in that 'extra' 6" and 8" pair you have if the first right of refusal...refuses.

Bart, Paul K bought the set...sorry

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Nice set-up! Are you a CAT racer?

Here is mine. The 997 has an intergrated system made by Thule but held hostage by Porsche for the feet and load bars. Although amazing German design in that the feet never actually touch the roof of the car.

Cat 3 XC mountain bike, and cyclocross, lowly Cat 5 road. This is my first season doing proper road races, just want the full experience. I've done quite a few mixed surface events over the years, but never a traditional road race. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade mid season to Cat 4 road. The local UCI rep is always around, and a great guy too, so upgrading should be easy. Of course, I heard the UCI made it harder...if I need "x" number of points for an upgrade, well that might be another story.

First proper race for me is next weekend.

I was asked to be on a Team this year that I have great respect and admiration for. I've been riding/training, and racing cyclocross with many of the team for the last three years. The main sponsors are my favorite brewery-Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY, and my favorite bike shop-Syracuse Bicycle.

So far, my attempt to lift my game...so to speak, has been rewarded. Rewarded in more pain, faster pace, and longer rides that is. So much of this sport is purely mental, and that is really where I am weakest. Regardless of what my body tells me, I usually let my mind tell me no you can't. Well, I've been willing myself to hold the wheel this year, reel back in the break, etc.

Everyone tells me I'm riding strong, and the last two big rides have helped to make me a believer too-especially todays ride. I just love the sport, the simple act of turning the pedals just does it for me.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe,

Good for you! Pushing your own limits. Thats where I get my high. Getting in over my head and figuring a way out.

I don't race but ride with a group a couple times a week. One group goes out every Tuesday night from a local Brewery. It's a hard core group of Cat racers. I get dropped by the first group early into the ride, but can usually hang with the second group if they get caught by a red light or two.

Primary doing Tri's. Got a lottery drawing into Alcatraz this year in June. That picture above was last weekend. Drove 800 miles for a Tri in Galveston so I could get used to jumping off a boat 1+ miles offshore for the swim portion. Good times!

Keep pushing yourself and let me know when you move up to Cat 4.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to get some tall Yakimas to level out my setup. Turns out I need massive spacing for the snowboard, basically the rear down by the top of rear window.

You're gonna love the hit on gas mileage with that box on top. I think the one I had years ago, and put on the top of the '92 C4 one time took me down to 15MPG.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2011, 04:35 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Joe - how's the wind noise on the highway?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Joe - how's the wind noise on the highway?
well, a slight whistle is always there. Usually the FDM Stage lll's drown it out nicely. When you open the sunroof...well that's another story all together. I never installed the old wind deflector I have, so I don't know how much that would help. Besides, it's full of old stickers and just not very cool looking anymore.

The rack is easy on, easy off...but I'm transporting bikes so often, it isn't worth the effort for me to remove it.

PM sent Cam.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Yes, thanks Joe!

I've already started looking online for a used 300/387 foot pack set or I can get both at prodeal through brother-in-laws ski shop...either way I might have another set for sale for another Rennlister.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I wound up with the other half of Magdaddy's set up. Works great. I do notice the resistance considerably while driving. But not much noise.

I could not find a vendor to sell me half sets of the Thule 300/387 foot packs. Thule customer service did not reply to my requests.

Find a buddy and order up!

Last edited by Texas993; 04-29-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas993
I do notice the resistance considerably while driving.
resistance WITH a Ruf Turbo R? I call bull$hit on that one!

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Yes, thanks Joe!

I've already started looking online for a used 300/387 foot pack set or I can get both at prodeal through brother-in-laws ski shop...either way I might have another set for sale for another Rennlister.

used 300(6"tall) are all over on ebay...I paid $60 for my used set there IIRC.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:03 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 255 Posts

I also use Thule racks on my 993 with symmetrical height using 6" gutter mounts. Problem I've had is indeed you need to max out the spacing between bars and even going max is not really enough. I guess I could have gone lower towards the rear window, but my point is that one time carrrying my mountain bike, I took a turn in town fairly aggreessively (but not anything nuts - a simple aggressive turn) and lone and behold, my bike fell off!! Or more likely the rear wheel mounting twisted and the fronts came out. Surprisingly no damage to the bike and only a small scratch on top from the pedals and I fixed later on.

I LOVE using my 993 with racks - it's just soooooo cool, but care needs to given to properly setting up the bars and driving a bit less aggressive.

Funny that earlier that day, we drove up into the hills on a decently windy road, my friend and I, and the bikes stayed in place, no issue!!!

YMMV......
Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
resistance WITH a Ruf Turbo R? I call bull$hit on that one.
Well...

Quick Reply: roof rack adjusted to level