Sponsored by:

hmmm....DIY "carbon fiber" ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:30 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmmm....DIY "carbon fiber" ?

Using 3M DI-NOC carbon fiber vinyl (from www.carbonfiberfilm.com) and a few hours free time last week. Wanted to see whether the 3M stuff is a viable cost-effective alternative to the parts made by Marcus or the factory parts. Note that the finish is more flat or matte rather than glossy. The parts have been in the car for a week in a covered space and no lifting or separation (so far). So seems promising and has potential but will likely redo these pieces, esp as the weave direction is off

Some pics below (sorry about the quality...iPhone pics)...note that the one item missing in the pics is a hair dryer, which helps although a heat gun would be better. Wonder what else I can cover with this stuff....I could probably cover every surface of the interior

Does anyone have instructions on how to take off all the dash pieces? I thought there was a post previously by someone who installed Marcus' parts but I can't find that post TIA!

Maybe more pics and details later if I decide to continue with this project

Last edited by David in LA; 04-10-2011 at 04:06 PM.
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

[placeholder for follow up post]
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

[another placeholder ]
Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I dig it... I was thinking the same thing, but also the center tray.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 PM
maxiii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks fine, I like it!
May you explane how you did it. I can't understand if its only one peace? did you was using warm air or something?
Please give me same info on HOW to put it on so fine.
Tnx.
Max
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shadow993
I dig it... I was thinking the same thing, but also the center tray.
+1 That must be what the placeholders are for.

Emerald
Old 04-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

those two pieces are pretty intricate...must have taken a while to get the edges and curves all sorted.

I've thought of this a few times, but ultimately decided that I don't really like carbon fiber and especially don't like matte carbon fiber.

excellent work though!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Hmm - that looks pretty good Dave. How long did it take you to wrap ?
Haven't seen you post in a while. Busy in HK and LA ?
Regards
Ken
Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Good job! Except the weaving directions mix up...
Looks very promising, are you going to try instrument panel??
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Shadow - I would also do the handbrake tray and pretty much every piece possible assuming I continue with this (I may just remove the film and go back to plain plastic)...it will be all or none. I'm just not sure I can be bothered with the removal/reinstall of all the pieces (anyone know how to remove the dash panels?!?!)

Stefan - If I decide to continue with the project then I would probably do the instrument panel last after the other dash bits, HAIC, air vents and other pieces. The instrument panel looks to be the easiest to do after the passenger airbag covers...could probably do it in 3-5 minutes after removing. Yes the weave is mixed up....see first paragraph in original post.

Ken - Yes, I've been a bit busy as we now have a 2 mo old addition along with the 3 year old. The top piece was the first attempt....took a bit of time to manipulate before breaking out the hair dryer to help manipulate into the nooks and crannies. The lower piece was much faster once I figured the best way to trim the light openings (which is the hardest part frankly) and made use of the wife's hair dryer - maybe 10-15 minutes. Total time incl removing and reinstalling the pieces, connect/reconnect switches, gathering parts from around the house, and going up and down the elevator to the parking garage was around 90-100 minutes. Frankly most of the time was spent thinking out the approach and trying to manipulate the pieces without a hairdryer.

Max - Yes they are both covered from single pieces, although you could do as 2-3 pieces and the seem could probably be made difficult to notice - but more challenge using just a single piece A hairdryer or heatgun is used to soften the film so that it becomes flexible and easy to manipulate...once the film cools it becomes pretty stiff and hold its shape. For the two parts, the handbrake tray, rear storage tray and lower airbag cover, you pretty much need to use one.

Quadcammer - Yeah these two pieces are probably the most difficult to do in the car aside from the air vents so figured if I could do a decent job on these then the rest would be relatively easy. These two pieces are also the easiest to remove and reinstall so figured they would be the best for a test install. (and I actually prefer the flat/matte cf look vs. the glossy look )

One of the interesting things about the 3M film is that it's available in other colors...white CF could look interesting in a white car, or maybe I'd use graphite or red film to make the interior more interesting If I do other pieces or redo these I will post more pics above, but this project not high priority and behind my Passport 9500/Valentine stealth mount project that I need to figure out

Last edited by David in LA; 04-09-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Keep the 3rd post open for pictures when you wrap the whole car with this.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

David,

Great job!! Looks awesome - I too am a fan of the "matt" carbon.

I used BMW material - no sticky on the back - and it was a lot loofa work.... Concave sux!!!

Post here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ther-bits.html

Simon
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 AM
moots
Advanced

Funny I tried the same thing last week also in LA the lower switch panel wasva pita
Old 04-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Nuff
Racer

David:

You can make it glossy by using a clear coat. They actually experimented with it on their blog:

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/...oating-di-noc/

As I have a carbon fiber dash, I was going to try this to see if the weave matches. Then I'd have to match the clear coat.

Haven't had time yet, though.

Nice job.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:08 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

David, if you continue, do the windshield defroster vent cover too. Your first two pieces look good.

And the ignition rosette. I got this one from Marcus:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: hmmm....DIY "carbon fiber" ?