Sponsored by:

Speaking of tools...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Conclusion:

I went out and bought a set of Snap-On 8-19mm 6-points socket. Immediately compare it to a Craftsman socket set I have. I measure the inner socket head dimension and the 3/8 drive dimension. To be somewhat fair, I compared the new Snap-On to a rarely used 12mm Craftsman socket.

Inner socket head dimension: snap-on 12.20mm to Craftsman 12.57mm

3/8 drive dimension: snap-on .381 inch to craftsman .381 inch

socket width: snap-on 16mm to craftsman 16.75mm...the snap-on is slimmer

Overall, the snap-on seemed to have better tolerance than the craftsman, and is thinner overall. Can't say anything about the material.

I don't care about bling-bling, but the snap-on looks better new compared to my used set of craftsman.

Hope this helps for those trying to decide what to buy.

Last edited by axl911; 04-13-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: rewording
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 AM
axl911
Drifting

The snap-on socket is a bit deeper (8.76mm) to the craftsman (8.04mm).

I also compared other sizes, and the craftsman inner diameter is consistently larger than the snap-on. Example 16mm socket, snap-on 16.2mm to crafstman 16.8mm

Another important difference is the inner bevel/edge of the snap-on is much less than the craftsman. I believe this made a huge difference as my worn down HF impact socket felt completely loose and wobbly on a shallow 13mm bolt head. Whereas the snap-on is solid, much less wobbly and movement.

Last edited by axl911; 04-13-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

interesting that the craftsman tolerances are so poor. I'll have to measure a few of mine because I've never really had any issues with them.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to working in tight spaces (seems like everywhere on a Porsche!) Snap-on wins.
For example, getting to one exhaust nut on a Cayman was not possible with "other" ratchets. The Snap-on ratchet could get it done.

Not saying other brands are "bad" but Snap-on and other comparable labels cost more for a reason

There are some items made by other mfg, like some of their torque wrenches, and can be found at better pricing.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:00 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For me, in recent years, it seems that Craftsman tools have become Crapsman Tools. They appear to be still 'made in America' but I wonder if the parts are made in China and assembled here.

I have a Crapsman set of tools that are only about five years old and I have to have the 1/4" ratchet replaced twice (not holding in ratchet mode). The replacement tool was a 'rebuilt', not new!!! I have my first Craftsman socket set that is almost 47 years old (Xmas present when I was 16 years old). That set is still great and shows the difference between the old v.s. new.

I wish I bought better tools than the recent ones.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Another interesting concept ...

http://www.metrinch-tools.com

The Metrinch Wall Drive Profile was designed to provide a greater area of force application, compared with that applied by conventional tools. This profile, because of the buttress effect of its load bearing lugs, does not transmit the extreme peaks found when a tool with a wedge shaped profile is used. In distributing the torque load to the fastener through the flats, the Metrinch tool does not only achieve greater force, but also lowers the possibility of distortion to the nut or bolt head. Having a thin wall is an advantage in every socket. We can afford to provide such a wall, because with Metrinch spanners and sockets the force is absorbed where the wall has its greatest strength. Metrinch sockets are capable of exceeding the tightening torques specified in the DIN standard by 70 to 100 %, depending on the socket size.

The Metrinch Wall Drive profile is not the only feature we rely on. The steel our tools are made of forms another important aspect. To achieve the best, it is imperative to use a steel alloy this being chrome vanadium 46CrV4, which provides a margin of safety, particularly in conditions involving extreme stresses. We also attach great value to product finish, all our tools are chrome-plated and polished. This is not just for visual reasons, but because it provides the most effective protection against rust, even in extreme conditions. We take the principles of on-the-job safety and accident prevention very seriously. The patented Metrinch Wall Drive profile has been precisely calculated to ensure a secure and even application of torque to the flats of a nut or bolt and not to the corners. In most instances the greater the force applied to a Metrinch tool the more positive the grip becomes thus minimising the risk of injury to an operator which may be caused through a socket or a spanner slipping off a fastener. Laboratory test results prove that torque loadings of 1.5 times greater than those possible with a conventional socket can be achieved using a Metrinch tool.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 04-15-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Another interesting concept ...
Which is called Flank Drive; a Snap-On design I believe and a patent that has run out. I see that design used in other brands now.

My 1974 Snap-On sockets and box-end wrenches have that.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Am I the only one who likes S-K tools? I have been using them for a few decades now.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Which is called Flank Drive; a Snap-On design I believe and a patent that has run out.
I see that design used in other brands now.

My 1974 Snap-On sockets and box-end wrenches have that.
A very innovative design ... I have a complete set and have never had a rounded fastener
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
axl911
Drifting

BEST snap-on tool find ever!!!

I have this old flat head black handle screw driver forever that I usually use to pry stuff and stir epoxy and body filler mixes. I looked closer and it is a square Snap-on.

Decided to clean it up and the tip is still in perfect shape, and handle is in okay shape despite my years of abuse. The best part is that I can make out my dad's name on it. My dad never had a formal toolbox, but somehow I snagged this one.

I'm gonna build my black hard handle set from this one.

Quick Reply: Speaking of tools...