Sponsored by:

Engine Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Engine Immobilizer

I am the fourth owner of my 993. As such, the engine immobilizer code number is nowhere to be found. So, I have a few questions and issues for RL.

First, I hate this system and find it irritating that about 50% of the time I get into my car, I have to reset the key fob, since the immobilizer has the engine locked out. Porsche must have worked overtime to create this lousy system.

So, is there a way to "permanently immobilize" the engine immobilizer system? Short of doing surgery on the ECU?

Second, is there an "easy" way to retrieve the code number? I have heard that I have to contact the factory direct......or that for a large fee.....the dealer will get the code for me. I'd like to have the code to program two new fobs. And, if the system can be shut off, I suspect you would start with inputting the code into the system.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
I am the fourth owner of my 993. As such, the engine immobilizer code number is nowhere to be found. So, I have a few questions and issues for RL.

First, I hate this system and find it irritating that about 50% of the time I get into my car, I have to reset the key fob, since the immobilizer has the engine locked out. Porsche must have worked overtime to create this lousy system.

So, is there a way to "permanently immobilize" the engine immobilizer system? Short of doing surgery on the ECU?

Second, is there an "easy" way to retrieve the code number? I have heard that I have to contact the factory direct......or that for a large fee.....the dealer will get the code for me. I'd like to have the code to program two new fobs. And, if the system can be shut off, I suspect you would start with inputting the code into the system.

Any help would be appreciated.
I got the code from my local Porsche dealer...no charge.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Porsche must have worked overtime to create this lousy system.
Yet I am sure if you walked out to an empty parking space, you'd complain even more.

You can get the code from your local Porsche dealer. You can get the remotes from Sunset at a good price.

A reputable Porsche dealer will want to see you, your ID, your title/ownership and your car before handing over the code.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

As previously said, your Posche dealer can provide the code if you provide proper owner pfoof.

Having owned my 993 for 9 years I am always surprised at the complaints regarding the Immobilizer system. Like any electronic system you sort of have to get in the head of the designers. Mine has been trouble-free, if a bit annoying to use.

I have found that fresh remote batteries annually are a must, plus a key hidden on the car and a spare programmed remote in the glovebox will provide a lot of piece of mind.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts

Let's hope it's the original...
Old 04-08-2011, 01:33 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I think I know about immobilizers:
Early 95's (mostly basket handle cars) did not have them; they were installed beginning about mid MY 95 production.
Most posters agree it is a major project to immobilize the immobilizer on the 95's that have them.
96 and later cars (OBDII) can be easily modified to delete the immobilizer function, something about flashing the ECU; Steve Weiner and others can do it, not very expensive.

Gordo
Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993/907
Early 95's (mostly basket handle cars) did not have them; they were installed beginning about mid MY 95 production.
Most posters agree it is a major project to immobilize the immobilizer on the 95's that have them.
96 and later cars (OBDII) can be easily modified to delete the immobilizer function, something about flashing the ECU; Steve Weiner and others can do it, not very expensive.

Gordo
Gordo,

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Steve Weiner? And, does he have to work on the car to do this or provide instructions? Or, do I ship him the ECU. I told you I was ****! Now you know. And, thanks for the insight.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM
993/907
Pro

Steve is Rennsport Systems, located in Portland Oregon.
(There is a very recent thread, near this one, regarding Steve and some problems he is having with his eyes....we all wish him well and hope for a speedy and complete recovery).

Extremely helpful and knowledgeable guy; I've talked with him and emailed, always prompt and accurate advice, knows his stuff.

Others can do the "flash" thing though I don't know who; search through immobilizer thread history.

I think you need to send them your ECU, they do the flash and send it right back.
SWAG cost is around $150....

Gordo
Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
...plus a key hidden on the car and a spare programmed remote in the glove box will provide a lot of piece of mind.
I prefer not to take chances like that.

With my luck, I'll lose my key as I am getting out of the car (I don't keep my key on the remote ring) and the lucky guy will find the spare remote in the glove box. Even with my custom disable, I won't risk it.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:07 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Well Alex, you must live in some rough neighborhoods in Canada and the Alps.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993/907
Mine had a basket andle and immobilizer. And I don't like it. Twice it has given me problems.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:14 PM
993/907
Pro

Mine gave me fits last year, cost be about $3k to get it sorted out.

With 73k miles and mostly very short trips, the ignition key had worn the ignition so much that the car was not able to recognize whether the key was in the ignition.

That somehow let to trouble with the ECU.

Finally had to replace the ignition/steering wheel lock with one ordered from the factory, replace the ECU and the starter switch.

Works like new now but I would rather do without the immobilizer, personally.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry if you know this already, but when you unlock the doors using the fob, the immobilizer will allow the engine to start. If the car was unlocked, and you did not use the button to unlock the car, then yes, the button needs to be pressed before starting the car after the ignition key has been turned.

Some will simply lock and unlock the car before getting in to deactivate the immobilizers. There has been some concern expressed that this may overuse the locking mechanism.

For me, I simply know that I need to push the button once I've turned the key. No dramas.

I agree with Alex - I'd like not to return to an empty parking space.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Look, if someone wants your car they're going to get your car. That said, I probably live in the crappiest location of anyone who owns a 993. Zero problems. With risk-of-theft, anyway.

Not so with immobilizer. I keep the key on me when I'm skiing. Did a nasty (as in one step from a concussion) heel pick a couple of months ago. Must have landed my hip square on the key. So it takes me 1/2 hour to get the damned car unlocked in the snow a couple of hours later. I dared not remove the key from that point on. (Parked the car in my mom's garage that night.) So, next day I'm up at Thunderhill, and leave the key in the car next to my garage up there while I'm out instructing. Some idiot decides he needs to move my car, then removes the key. Another 1/2 hour to get it going again.

Luckily I was able to pull the thing apart when I got back to the shop and resurrect it to where it seems to be working fine again. It's about the only "feature" of the car I worry about.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Well Alex, you must live in some rough neighborhoods in Canada and the Alps.
Nope, but there is no such thing as a good neighborhood either.

The night my friend had his motorcycle stolen was the one and only night he didn't have it secured with a HD chain. Security is only good if it is employed 100% of the time; not 99%.

Quick Reply: Engine Immobilizer