993 Forum 1995-1998

Where to advertise a 993 transmission for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM
ofd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to advertise a 993 transmission for sale

Looks like I will have a G50/20 transmission for sale in the next week or so. When I bought the car it came with 2 trannys, one in the car and one in pieces. The one in pieces was the orignal to the car and had bearing issues.
The one in the car was purchased from Viper Bob and was from a wreaked 96 993 (will comfirn this once for sale).

I sent the broken tranny to Copans to be rebuilt. It will have cup gears 3-6, steel syncros and a Porsche Motorsports LSD. Talked to Brian at Copans on Friday and looks like the psudo G50/32 box will be ready next week.
Brian and his wife have been an absolute pleasure to deal with, he is "THE MAN" when it comes to Porsche car transmissions.

So on to the question, where to sell it. I will put up a post here, Peilcan and maybe 6-speed. I thought some kit cars also used this box, does anyone here know which ones. Any other thoughts, I guess if it does not sell in the normal places.. maybe Ebay?

The tranny is in great shape with a LSD. It is currently in my car. Before it was installed it was disassembled cleaned and inspected. I have the bill from the shop that did the work. The reason for the sale is that I really wanted tighter gearing.

I have an idea on pricing from Copans, but any advice from you fine fellows would also be helpful. I know there was a rebuilt one for sale here about 2 months ago for around $6K. Mine will be much cheaper than that.

The other thought I had was to have Copans inspect the box for sale just so the new buyer gets a warm fuzzy that they are getting a good buy. Might also be easier to ship from there, Ohio.

Tks in advance for your help

Here's a pics of what I sent to Brian:

Cheers,
Geoff
Attached Images   

Last edited by ofd; 04-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you've got what's in my yellow car. If you want to just sell the blob, as-is, let me know.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:42 PM
firesm
Pro

Don't bother with Ebay - from what I understand, listing fees have gone up. You'll sell it here or on Pelican for sure. How about we just work out a package deal where I buy your Rufs that you keep torturing me with and you throw in the tranny? - No? Well it never hurts to ask...

I always hate these kinds of threads - I know as soon as you sell it for a great price, the next day my transmission will grenade and it'll take me six months to find another one at twice the price...

Hey - are you going to keep the Ninjabones stripes on the tail and deck lid?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
ofd
Instructor

Race911

Once I have the new box from Copans I will put up an official for sale thread, will keep you informed. Not sure I would call a really nice 993 tranny a blob

Firesm

Hmmm, Rufs and my transmission, maybe we can work something out. I think you really need the Rufs. Come over, bring money, have a few beers, maybe we could put the Rufs on your car and see what they look like.
I think if your not interested I should also put up a official for sale thread. Been spending money all winter, need to sell stuff!

As far as the Ningabones stripes, they will stay on for a while. Have not decided, but the colors look great on polar silver.
I got to see his GT2 993 clone last week, what a car. Real nice guy, had a great chat with him. He has a thread about the car is the racing section.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I call any generally all-in-one-piece component that you can pick up as a whole a "blob." May not be descriptive in terms of value of the unit though.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

The kit cars that use this gearbox are the Factory Five GTM Mulsanne and the Ultima GTR. A good place to find them is the Piston Heads forum. If the gearbox is verified in good spec. by Brian those guys will usually pay about $1000 more than a P-Car owner is willing to pay.

Regards,

Matt
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Probably true. I sold parts in the UK for the same amount of GBP's as I could have here in USD, and that's when the exchange rate was $2/1GBP. But those parts were already in the UK. I question whether the typical PH'er would pay to have a box shipped from North America. Guess there's only one way to find out. GLWS.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
ofd
Instructor

Tks Matt (GTgears),

I knew there was a kit car that used the box from a 993 but for the life of me could not remember.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old 11-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Stirlitz
Intermediate

Do you still have some left overs from G50 transmission?

Quick Reply: Where to advertise a 993 transmission for sale