Sunroof not pulling tight on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sunroof not pulling tight on passenger side

After reading a thread about a nut being loose being a possible fix, I unzipped the liner and removed the sound deadning material. I didnt see anything loose.
I noticed that the drivers side of the sunroof moves about an inch before the other side moves. Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

I had a similar problem: only both sides wouldn't close the last 3/4 " or so. I took the thing apart three different times and didn't see anything wrong. Finally, I took it to my independent and he opened the roof all the way and then tightened that big nut/screw that you see when you look up at the unit. It has been working like new since. Maybe this will help you. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

I'll give it a turn on my next day off. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Leucadia
Racer

I think i have the same issue, as my sunroof wont tighten up and snug up perfectly anymore. I'm too afraid to start taking that thing apart though, i'll never get it back together without screwing something up. Anyone in PNW done this before?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

My screw was tight. How do I get the lining off the bottom of the sunroof so I can better see whats going on?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Open the roof about an inch or two. On the other side of the vinyl there are clips. If you run your fingers over the panel from the outside, you can more or less feel where they are. Some people use a putty knife to get right along side the clip and then pop them out of their holes. I was able to do so with my fingers. Search is your friend as there have been several methods suggested about how to release them. In either case, once you get it loose, slide it all the way to the rear of the car and you'll see the mechanism. There really isn't much to see except the cable and the sled, the locking levers and the track. Most of the magic happens in the rear. That's why I suggested looking there. Others here can tell you if I'm wrong, but I think it is unlikely that your cable would let go partially on one side and still function w/o failure. In my case, the reason I got involved in all this was b/c both ends of both of the cable pulled out of the sleds. I was able to reseat them. There isn't much cable that connects to the sleds...maybe an inch. Thatls why I suspect the drive. YMMV. Keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

PS: You won't necessarily "see anything loose." That screw you see on the motor is often the culprit. IIWY, I'd try closing the roof all the way and tighten that screw and see if that helps.

Quick Reply: Sunroof not pulling tight on passenger side