Sponsored by:

30K mile maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30K mile maintenance question

I have a '96 C2 with just under 28,000 miles. This year I'm doing the 30K stuff, and beyond the standard stuff (spark plug change, belts, distributor caps and rotors, filters, and the rest from the schedule) what other items do I need to see to? For instance:
1. Should the power steering belt (hard to get to and expensive to replace, but looks to be the original) be changed? Porsche recommends every 10 years based on age alone.
2. Do I need to change the spark plug wires "while I'm in there" or do I wait for them to malfunction later?
3. Manual transmission fluid? Brake and slave cylinder flush done last year and oil changes every year so far.
4. Any thing else IYHO?

The question stems from the age of the car rather than the miles. All other periodic maintenance has been performed on the car up to this point. I have a good indy here and will seek his advice too, but intend to do a lot of this myself come Hell or high water.

Finally, is it better to buy parts from Sunset (or other supplier) or my stealer using the PCA 20% discount coupon?

Thanks in adviance.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check lower no 5 and 6 spark plug wires, those are the ones that will crack first.
No 5 and 6 are the forward passenger side wires.
The other wires are probably as good as new.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Dan,

My car has a few more miles (35,000) and I've gone over these same questions....

- Power steering belt is fine. Replace it when the engine comes out for a clutch. It is a robust design - I've seen pics of belts with 100,000 miles on them and they look like new. My indy tech agrees.

- Plug wires - as Akerlie said just go on condition. We check mine every year and they look like new. The cosmoline that was oversprayed on them may crack (like varnish) and make the plug wires look bad, but they are really ok. You should be fine at 30,000 miles, especially if the car has lived in the cooler climates like mine.

- Definitely change the tranny fluid. We use Mobil 1, but others may have different opinions.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having done the 30,000 mile service... ...and, yes, I did my service based on AGE rather than on mileage...

Do what the maintenance manual recommends, and...

+1 on changing the manny-tranny fluid / brake fluid (flush/bleed the clutch, flush/bleed the brakes).
If you have the 'gold' fluid, then change to, e.g. ATE super BLUE fluid (for two years) and then alternate to 'gold' again.

Really NO need to change the power-steering belt.

Visual inspection (only) of the plug wires. If you've been running the car with the engine tray on (and why is that?) then IMHO (and in the opinion of many) leave the tray off after they've changed the spark-plugs. I asked my indy to "save the plugs" - so that i) I could verify that he was changing ALL of them and ii) the condition of the plugs is an indication of the ignition/combustion/condition of the engine.

Change the fuel filter and the pollen filter(s) and the air filter.

Change all three (fan)belts.

Any car battery (yours is probably and 'interstate') more than 3+ years old _should_ be changed. I personally went with the Optima Red Top (which is a SEALED battery) and haven't looked back since.

Even if you do NOT have a CEL (check engine light) -- do an OBD-ii scan of 'pending' codes.

If the tires are in reasonable condition, but the tires themselves are '10' years old then get new tires.

Take out the red-spare-space-saver tire, inflate it with the air-pump, inspect, deflate then put everything back. In THAT way you know 'stuff works'.

And last but not least -- and yes it's a pain -- change the SAI check-valve.

My $0.02,
Gerry
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

what is "SAI check-valve"?

also, can i use my SRF brake fluid which i stock for my GT3?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
what is "SAI check-valve"?

SAI Check Valve.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
SAI Check Valve.
thanks!

what does it do? and what can happen if it fails?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!

what does it do? and what can happen if it fails?
Many believe this check valve fails and allows carbon from the exhaust to "back flow" into the SAI port and clog it. I suspect it would throw a cel when this happens.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
SAI Check Valve.
what is the function of SAI valve and what happens if it fails?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

can you? sure. Is it a serious waste of money if you aren't tracking the car...yes.

Motul 660 if you really drive it hard in the mountains, otherwise ate 200 is fine.

Quick Reply: 30K mile maintenance question