Sponsored by:

SPOILER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SPOILER QUESTION

I have just purchased a split grill and need some information. I know there are only 4 bolts that need to be removed when removing the spoiler/grill. My question is when i am ready to reattach the spoiler/split grill, will anything mechanical have moved once the spoiler is removed that may have to be adjusted to have the spoiler open and close properly or does everything stay as is so just reattach?? Thanks, Mike
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I removed my spoiler assembly to install the RS wing. I remember saying to myself; "I hope I never have to try to put this back together."
It has a dozen or so shims and spacers in the works. I don't remember if they are in the top section (wing) or the bottom section (engine lid.) if I were doing a split grill, I'd try to change it with the wing on the car. It should just be pressure clips holding the grill in place.
Hope others will give their insight.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

I think it was Pcar workshop that has a "how to" install a split grill.

If you got the split grill form a dismantler...complete with the frame surround, then it's a simple swap out. Just 4 bolts-raise the spoiler manually, and you can see the hinges(so to speak) that open close the spoiler.

If you got the PIECES of a new split grill, well that's better left to a professional IMHO. There are lots of pieces, some bolt together...but most are attached with adhesive. Besides, you gotta get it painted prior to assembly. Make sure the paint shop realizes that both top and bottom needs to be finished paint. The frame work is visable thru the spolier slats, any areas not covered with paint will show in the right light. Ask me how I know this...Guards red split grill change to Arctic Silver.. uggh

Where did you get it? Used, or new?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
I think it was Pcar workshop that has a "how to" install a split grill.

If you got the split grill form a dismantler...complete with the frame surround, then it's a simple swap out. Just 4 bolts-raise the spoiler manually, and you can see the hinges(so to speak) that open close the spoiler.

If you got the PIECES of a new split grill, well that's better left to a professional IMHO. There are lots of pieces, some bolt together...but most are attached with adhesive. Besides, you gotta get it painted prior to assembly. Make sure the paint shop realizes that both top and bottom needs to be finished paint. The frame work is visable thru the spolier slats, any areas not covered with paint will show in the right light. Ask me how I know this...Guards red split grill change to Arctic Silver.. uggh

Where did you get it? Used, or new?
Hey Joe, I bought a new split grill from Gert, 3 pieces plus speed nuts in the kit. Thanks for the painting tip. I will be using the surround that is on the car. What i really need to know is if i remove those 4 bolts you are referring to, will i be able to reinstall the surround (with new split grill) just as i removed it ?? I'm just not sure if those "hinges'' have any play in them that would have to be adjusted for the spoiler to open and close as it should. Thanks, Mike
Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 AM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced mine with a brand new split grill from Sunset Porsche. It was a pretty straight forward install once you had the new grill painted and glued together. Love the look!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Pezely
Hey Joe, I bought a new split grill from Gert, 3 pieces plus speed nuts in the kit. Thanks for the painting tip. I will be using the surround that is on the car. What i really need to know is if i remove those 4 bolts you are referring to, will i be able to reinstall the surround (with new split grill) just as i removed it ?? I'm just not sure if those "hinges'' have any play in them that would have to be adjusted for the spoiler to open and close as it should. Thanks, Mike
There is no play in the mounting of that "surround" that I could see. I didn't have to do any adjustment when I bolted the new grill with surround in place.

The complicated part of this process, is removal of old grill-clean-prep-reinstall of new split grill. That part I left up to the local body shop.

The DIY was over on pcar workshop. Kinda gives you an idea if your gonna tackle the job.

Good Luck

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...ll_Replacement

Quick Reply: SPOILER QUESTION