Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield needed. Do you have a contact?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011 | 09:47 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Default Windshield needed. Do you have a contact?

In trying to bring my car back to a street beast after years of track life, I am trying to find a Sekurit windshield and coming up short. It seems there are none out there any more. I've found Pinkelton brand which are made in Germany and look like a nice piece, but Dad got it and a second is also being allusive.

Anyone have a line on either or a good contact for either brand windshield? Sunset has been out best contact and the best price thus far, even with shipping, but their last one ordered came in as a Sigla, and they suck! Seems the dealers can't guarantee what will come in when they order. What you get is what you get.

Any help, greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2011 | 09:49 PM
993inNC
Race Car

No one?

Bueller.............Bueller.................Bueller.............
Old 03-29-2011 | 11:01 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Hi Chris, This may be a long shot but they claimed that they have found the toughest to find windshields and have numerous contacts. They replaced my BMW windshield last year and did a magnificent job. I know Asheville isn't exactly close to you but you might want to give these guys a holler:
Tri State Glass - Asheville
300 Sardis Rd
Asheville, NC 28806
828-667-8889
I wish I had the guy's name that came out here but he talked of getting some really difficult pieces. Maybe the girl in the office can assist.
Old 03-29-2011 | 11:43 AM
Bham993
Intermediate

Are they really that hard to find? I've got a crack developing on mine...
Old 03-29-2011 | 03:24 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

I'm on my third windshield and my local installer has never had a problem procuring one for me......
Old 03-29-2011 | 04:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I don't believe Chris said there is a problem getting a windshield, just that it's not from a preferred manufacturer.

I'm also in this boat as I've got a HUGE crack now from the winter driving, a big nasty one that's now right a big glare in my line of vision. Oh well, it's the original Sigla (what's wrong with them, anyway?), and was pitted beyond belief so no loss. Cousin also needs one for his turbo.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2011 | 09:15 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Ken, mine is like that and worse! Mine came with Sekurit originally, I had it replaced once when I first got the car and its the Sigla that's in there now. Its pitted so bad, my wife thought I was driving around with a filthy windshield after always giving her and her brother grief all these years when theirs are. She couldn't believe it was pitting!
Sigla seems very soft (from a pit resistance standpoint) and crack with any little nick. Dad just had a Pilkington put in the other day. Looks nice, made in Germany. I may have a line on one (found out today) just need to work the insurance company for their part. Will report back.
RJfabCab (Randy) has tear offs on his GT3 track car windshield, I need to get a hold of him and find where he got them, be a worth while addition over the new windshield.
Really wanted a Sekurit.......
Old 03-29-2011 | 09:36 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Mine came with Sekurit originally, I had it replaced once when I first got the car and its the Sigla that's in there now.
I may be wrong .... but I thought Sigla was German for Safety Glass. I think the Sekurit front window says Sigla (instead of Sekurit).
Old 03-29-2011 | 10:26 PM
993inNC
Race Car

No heard of any of that before so you could be as right as wrong

I just was not at all happy with the Sigla, it seemed to not be quite the right size either. The new installer we've found locally had nothing but good to say of the Pilkington. And it came to him marked as a premium windshield (learned there are codes that denote various features within the ID sticker that come on them). It had the inner windshield seal already attached as well (not sure if that's what makes it premium or not).

Just think I'd like to try something different this time, and maybe take a little more care of this one this time
Old 03-30-2011 | 08:14 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
RJfabCab (Randy) has tear offs on his GT3 track car windshield, I need to get a hold of him and find where he got them, be a worth while addition over the new windshield.
I presume these have a short life span with any wiper usage?

Andreas
Old 03-30-2011 | 09:37 PM
993inNC
Race Car

^^^^^^^^^^ Not sure about that^^^^^^^^^^^

But I usually don't do rainy day driving so not that big an issue for me. You know how hard black is to keep clean? Can't even keep it clean after washing it ............without the help of rain! If I went through one tear off a year, I'd be fine with that.........these windshields aren't cheap!
Old 03-30-2011 | 11:22 PM
trophy
Race Car

There are a number of companies that do film for windshields runs between $250 and $300, clarity is great not perfect and can handle wipers etc.... Cheaper than a windshield...

Quick Reply: Windshield needed. Do you have a contact?