Sponsored by:

DIY: Sunroof headliner rear detached

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default DIY: Sunroof headliner rear detached

Sorry I don"t have ant pics for this. My sunroof headliner was unglued at the rear. When I drove with the windows down, the sunroof panel would flap enough that it would sag down in the middle. I've heard this is a common 993 problem.

Preface:
The sunroof headliner panel is made of cheap-*** sheet metal. It is really easy to bend and kink. It is also easy to fix if you screw it up. You WILL screw it up. I spent a few minutes straightening mine up before I re-installed thinking it would help it operate more smoothly. Your experience may vary...

To fix;
1. slide your sunroof back about half way.
2. pull down on the front of the sunroof headliner, starting at the middle, to release the spring clips. (think of them as those plastic body clips on many doors, except you wont break these.)
3. Slide the headliner panel BACK.
4. Remove the 4 8mm bolts holding in the front sunroof slider brackets. remove the slider brackets.
5. Push the switch and open the sunroof all the way, while holding the headliner panel forward.
5. Pull the sunroof headliner panel out forward.
6. Get some appropriate glue and re-glue the rear of the sunroof panel.
7. To re-install:
open sunroof all the way.
8. bend panel in the middle to make it fit onto the black metal tracks.
9. slide it back as far as it will go.
10. push the switch and move the sunroof forward until almost closed. (spring clips are now behind the holes.)
11. Re-install forward slider brackets with 4 8mm bolts.
12. Line up and push the spring clips back into the holes designed for them.
13. operate sunroof to ensure proper operation
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Nice write-up!

Andreas
Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bravo!

A bunch of us, me included have been dealing with this dilemma for a while now.

Just be VERY careful folks -- if you EVER retract your sunroof -- and then loosen the bolts that keep the actual sunroof 'down' - to the point that you can LIFT it up towards the sky -- for goodness sakes don't.

You will scratch the bejeebus out of the paint on your sunroof and give yourself a really bad day. You see there's a couple of metal pieces that are inside the sunroof 'pocket ' and, unfortunately, are 'proud' of the metal work. They are sharp and can really mess up your day!

Gerry
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Bravo!

A bunch of us, me included have been dealing with this dilemma for a while now.

Just be VERY careful folks -- if you EVER retract your sunroof -- and then loosen the bolts that keep the actual sunroof 'down' - to the point that you can LIFT it up towards the sky -- for goodness sakes don't.

You will scratch the bejeebus out of the paint on your sunroof and give yourself a really bad day. You see there's a couple of metal pieces that are inside the sunroof 'pocket ' and, unfortunately, are 'proud' of the metal work. They are sharp and can really mess up your day!

Gerry
Been There, Done that. That's exactly why I need to have my sunroof panel re-sprayed.

Nick

Quick Reply: DIY: Sunroof headliner rear detached