Sponsored by:

sunroof help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default sunroof help

OK, so I removed and re-glued the sunroof headliner panel. Now, how the **** do I get it back in? It won't go past the steel brackets on either side...
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Got it. What a PITA...wound up having to remove the forward sunroof slider brackets to get the panel in. Took me a beer break and a profanity session, but it's done and in!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Took me a beer break and a profanity session, but it's done and in!
That seems to be quite common on these cars.

I was cursing while holding the engine lid up with my head earlier today, while trying to insert the forward pin on the gas-pressure spring strut while also having to line the holes up.

Forget chewing gum and walking as proof of coordination. Also, working on a Porsche is an exercise in patience.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is preciscely why I havent attempted it myself yet.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I was cursing while holding the engine lid up with my head earlier today, while trying to insert the forward pin on the gas-pressure spring strut while also having to line the holes up.
H-m-m-m-m-m-m...I just used a broomstick to hold the lid up while I fitted the struts...It also helps to spread a white cloth/towel under the strut you are working on so you can find the clip when it pops off and careens around the engine compartment....That said, it doesn't completely eliminate the cussin'...Just tones it down a notch.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
It also helps to spread a white cloth/towel under the strut you are working on so you can find the clip when it pops off and careens around the engine compartment.
Which is why I am glad I bought a 24" flexible pick-up tool with a magnet at the end long before I needed it. I've already used it twice in that maze we call an engine compartment.

The broom was elsewhere...I hate a cluttered garage...only cars ( correction...one car), motorcycles and a lathe-mill are allowed.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

It would have been easy is someone would have posted a DIY. with pics... I guess everyone is too pissed to take pics during this event.

The thing is this. Once you pop the spring clips, the sunroof headliner is held in place by friction from the forward slider brackets. I just tore mine out. A more prudent man would finesse his out. The re-install requires you to remove the forward slider brackets in order to get the panel into the tracks from the front. Once they are out, the panel slides fairly easily to the rear.

Quick Reply: sunroof help