Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this Sport Seat in Marble Grey or Classic Grey ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Jon Paul, I had a cab with Marble grey interior for 6 years. I don't have great pictures of interior. But the interior did not look anywhere close to white, although it was light, of course. What I'm saying is that my eye is fairly well calibrated to Marble grey, but not other greys.

I currently have pieces of a door that are darker grey and door inserts that are marble grey. I've photographed them together. Do you feel this is Classic, Rubicon or another grey?

This is a fairly accurate color rendition of the Marble grey inserts:

PS. We are not talking about disrespect here. We are talking about hades of grey Which are notorious in their multitude and confusion (this is a couple years of former color scientist talking ).
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

JPP, you are on the same quest to catalog greys? Noble thing, that, I used to wreck my brain when I had my Marble cab. Now I have a midnight blue interior so I should be more relaxed. But nooooo... The siren song of knowledge and all that
Old 03-26-2011, 02:07 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ I didn't accuse anyone of 'disrespect' and I don't mean any, I just asked for pictures, please don't take offense ..

So, without any documentation, I'd say that your pictures are of Marble Grey inserts on Classic grey doorpanels. Is that not the case? To my eye, the doorpanels looks like they are in the Classic Grey tone range. Rubicon is MUCH darker and more charcoal/black in color and in some lights like neon overhead, it has a slight 'green' tint to it.

I'm not obsessed over grey's, I'm obsessed over all the variations of 993 colors both interior and exterior. It was a time when Porsche was trying many new things like combining all kinds of vinyl/leather pieces and different colors together so when I see cars and parts for sale, if I'm not familiar with the colors or combinations, I try to document them with 'known' samples or documented verification of factory names for them. It's been a long process of elimination and it's not conclusive, by a long shot.

And, sorry for the hi-jack here but I have to ask since you now have a blue interior, ever seen a Provence Blue interior in pictures or in person? I'm looking for a picture ...
Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
And Florentine gray. And probably a couple others.
Florentine Grey is Marble Grey
Old 03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Florentine Grey is Marble Grey
Yes, I'd heard that as well.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

JP, no offence taken at all, I'm just kidding. i think we are all trying to understand what ze Engineers came up with and what they named the colors. Not an easy task

I concur that the doors are Classic grey with Marble grey inserts. It's just that Classic gray looks fair bit darker than on the original pics, which is, where I think OP's confusion come from. So the real question to the seller of the seats would be "is there any reddish/purplish hue to the seats? Say it 10 time quick in German

I have not seen Provence blue in person but heard of it. Is it lighter than Midnight blue? i'll definitely forward pics if I find any. So far i see these two cars:

http://www.ebor-gt.com/soldcars.html (search for Provence on page, click on interior pic)
http://autofficina.co.uk/used_car_po...1_coupe_20.htm
Old 03-26-2011, 03:01 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Yes, I'd heard that as well.
Tis true............Florentine isnt listed as a leather colour, Marble isnt listed as a carpet colour............
Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Tis true............Florentine isnt listed as a leather colour, Marble isnt listed as a carpet colour............
Another quandry ...

I concur that the doors are Classic grey with Marble grey inserts. It's just that Classic gray looks fair bit darker than on the original pics, which is, where I think OP's confusion come from.
Yes, and I think that it's not only the light or camera that can cause variations, but these materials darken with age, so there's that. But, I'd have to say your doorpanels look like they are in the 'Range' of what I've seen claimed to be Classic Grey. Having said that, I've seen pictures that were borderline because of lighting/exposure, but the eBay link's pictures of the OP's potential Sport Seats looks like they are typical of what I've seen for Classic Grey seats.

I have not seen Provence blue in person but heard of it. Is it lighter than Midnight blue? i'll definitely forward pics if I find any. So far i see these two cars:

http://www.ebor-gt.com/soldcars.html (search for Provence on page, click on interior pic)
http://autofficina.co.uk/used_car_po...1_coupe_20.htm
Wow, that was quick. I've actually never seen pictures of Provence blue but these cars interiors are obviously not Midnight. It really looks pastel, a very 'baby blue' for lack of a better description and stunning against the blue exteriors of both of these examples. But it's the Rubystone 964RS with matching Speedster/GTS sportseats in gradations of Raspberry, grey and black leather that's got me salivating ... I'll take it!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Deriffic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seller insists payment by bank wire transfer and no ebay for 2,800EUR + shipping. In such terms I will have to pass. Thanks for everyone's valuable contribution on this topic.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Deriffic
Seller insists payment by bank wire transfer and no ebay for 2,800EUR + shipping. In such terms I will have to pass. Thanks for everyone's valuable contribution on this topic.
So, obviously the seller is trying to bypass the costs of processing a Paypal or credit card payment by insisting on a direct wire transfer, but he's already paid eBay for running the ad so what's the advantage of asking to do the transaction outside of eBay? If you don't mind me asking, did you ever figure out the cost to ship the seats to HongKong from Germany?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Lots of eBay/PayPal fees when done within, even if the insertion fee has already been paid.

eBay final value fees of 3 to 5% (edit: they've revised these to 9% up to $50 now).

3% on the PayPal side for credit card processing plus an additional 1% for currency conversion (at the credit card).
Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
Lots of eBay/PayPal fees when done within, even if the insertion fee has already been paid.

eBay final value fees of 3 to 5% (edit: they've revised these to 9% up to $50 now).

3% on the PayPal side for credit card processing plus an additional 1% for currency conversion (at the credit card).
Wow, I had no idea. So, potentially the seller is saving 118€ in Paypal fees and 88.50 to 147.50€ in transaction fees but he's only bringing the price down 150€ ... I think I'd use that info and make a counter offer ...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Totally! As a buyer, you lose a ton of options for recourse. Those fees support what eBay has lately become, which is a buyer protection platform.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:03 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know it is a little late to the party but I thought this might help. Both colors are from Leatherique but the Marble Grey I put on the seats is spot on the original. It is the same piece of paper just different lighting.
Name:  IMG_3404-1.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  109.7 KB
Name:  IMG_3410-1.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  70.9 KB
Old 03-27-2011, 02:22 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
Totally! As a buyer, you lose a ton of options for recourse. Those fees support what eBay has lately become, which is a buyer protection platform.
I have to admit, I've been extremely lucky using eBay but I've heard some fairly serious and expensive horror stories from others. I've heard that Paypal's gaurantee's can actually be relied upon when asking for a refund because items are not as represented, but eBay's avenues for recourse rarely work and you are basically 'on your own' if the products you buy are not acceptable. Is that still the case or is your experience different?

Quick Reply: Is this Sport Seat in Marble Grey or Classic Grey ?