Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A 13mm socket wrench. I'll never leave home w/out it again. Got stuck again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey Steve, you know all of your ready codes have been reset now and you'll have to go through the drive sequence to get them back to the "ready" state if you have emissions inspection? The one big downside to disconnecting the battery.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
hey Steve, you know all of your ready codes have been reset now and you'll have to go through the drive sequence to get them back to the "ready" state if you have emissions inspection? The one big downside to disconnecting the battery.
Good to know... Strangely enough Maryland has forgotten me many, many years ago and they don't send me emissions required inspection appointments anymore. I have no idea why, but I'm happy for that for sure! It's been 5 years since I've received one and you're supposed to get one every 2 years.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
^^^ Best thing to do is confirm the measurements of the fasteners you have to deal with by using a digital caliper.
really?

You're gonna measure every possible bolt you may need to mess with with digital calipers?

At some point, there is a limit to what you can and should do on the side of the road.

Hell, a 10, 12, 13, and 17mm wrench/socket or even an adjustable wrench will do the job.

I did my belts with an adjustable wrench, 5mm hex, and a screwdriver, no further tools needed for the necessary belts (fan, alt, ac excluded)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
^^^ Best thing to do is confirm the measurements of the fasteners you have to deal with by using a digital caliper.
Wow! You must have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Again, just purchase a reasonable quality mechanics' metric tool kit and you'll have everything you need for the majority of the jobs you would want to do in your driveway or on the roadside..And it will fit in to boot of your car...Jus' sayin'
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Wow! You must have a lot of spare time on your hands.
Obviously not, or I'd have the time to pick through sockets and wrenches that don't end up fitting on the fastener.

Originally Posted by TMc993
Again, just purchase a reasonable quality mechanics' metric tool kit and you'll have everything you need for the majority of the jobs you would want to do in your driveway or on the roadside..And it will fit in to boot of your car...Jus' sayin'
I have a very complete shop for at-home servicing, but on the road, I carry what is needed to do jobs you would only tackle at the side of the road...like belt replacement.

I'd chuckle if an owner installed a light weight battery and then carted a whole set of tools with them.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
really?

You're gonna measure every possible bolt you may need to mess with with digital calipers?
Yes...really. I found out what tools I needed and packed them.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
At some point, there is a limit to what you can and should do on the side of the road.
Exactly!

Which is why you figure what you need instead of carting a whole shop with you. Like a 10 mm triple square, a 24 mm box end wrench, a 5 mm L hex key. What other jobs do you think you are going to do roadside...an engine swap?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this next time ...
Great idea and here's a way to make it even better. Run a 10 amp fused wire from the battery terminal to the cable attachment. When you disconnect the battery lead your electronics will stay connected but if anyone tries to start the car the fuse blows and everything shuts down. Cheap and easy insurance.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM
djmojo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm, stupid question , " triple square"? Is that like a 6 point?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No question is stupid.................

It's a 12 point.

Allen head bolts are usually 6 point but to increase torque-capacity and lessen the chance of "rounding" out the heads, 12 points were introduced.

triple-square = 3 x 4 = 12.

Example: The flywheel is usually attached with triple-square bolts (High Torque)

Torx came out with a similar concept but that requires Torx socket wrenches; sets are cheap and come in handy.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: A 13mm socket wrench. I'll never leave home w/out it again. Got stuck again...