Sponsored by:

powdercoating stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryguy993
That is exactly what I want to do!!! I think it looks great! Now to find someone to powdercoat and be able to match stock arena red?????
Ok, that looks absolutely awesome!!! Definitlely do it!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midcont
have to disagree with this. its rocks and debris that will chip paint and bounce off powdercoat. i've had both and i would only powdercoat at this point. its roughly 30% more expensive i've found but worth it. people talk about powdercoating weakening the wheel but that has never been a factor in my experience.
fyi i have a set of 996 hollowspokes powdercoated black with a polished lip that i switch with my RH 3.6's.
Of course powdercoating is stronger, but like I said it is mainly the lip that takes the beating (for example while fitting the tire), the centers are more protected.

Over here the paint is 2-3 times more expensive than powder coat and it is really hard to get a color match apart from the solid colors.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I found a shop that should be able to color match the wheels to the car, now just to find out the cost.... I may need to find s set of wheels to borrow for a few days while mine are powdercoated
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of 4 OEM Porche wheels powder coated a couple years ago, and it cost me $420 to bead blast, power coat and then finish coat of gloss clear coat paint. I only kept them for a season then sold them, so I don't know about long-term durability, but they sure seemed rock hard as far as the finish.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I found a shop that should be able to color match the wheels to the car, now just to find out the cost.... I may need to find s set of wheels to borrow for a few days while mine are powdercoated
I have a spare set of twists but they are for narrow body, they are yours to borrow if they fit.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
I have a spare set of twists but they are for narrow body, they are yours to borrow if they fit.
Thanks Chris,
I will mostlikely just need them to put on the car to sit in my garage while the other wheels are powder coated. I will let you know what I hear by the end of the week. I sent an e-mail to the shop tonight (Ocean State Hot Tank) they apparently do alot of custom motorcycle work and have come highly reccomended and their website shows that they can custom match any color. Hopefully all will work out.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 AM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

True! I can't seem to find anyone local to Rhode ISland that does powdercoating. I am going to check with a couple of body shops to see if they know anyone who does it. I am not too concerned with the color matching 100% just as long as it doesn't look like a totally different color all together. If you have any pics of your wheels, could you post them to this thread? I just wanted to see how they turned out?

Thanks,
Ryan
Aw, I totally should have taken detailed pics. The car is currently in TX with my family while I'm sorting out the rest of my life situation. The only pic I have is of the car being put on the transport. It's below -- hopefully that helps.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM
ryguy993
Racer

Price quote of $85 per wheel, but the shop wants to see the wheels first. I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Powdercoat is the way to go if the shop can source a very close color match. The finish is harder than paint and will chip and crack but the force required is far greater. The heat required to harden the powder is not a problem for the wheel far less than the plating process has on the wheel casting.

Quick Reply: powdercoating stock wheels