993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011 | 12:17 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

A little more than cleaned up tubs? Ha. If you had any idea what you're talking about..

The body has over 1000 hours of labor in it. Not including the paint, plating, upholstery, outsourced mechanicals (motor, gearbox, etc)..

This will be an exciting year for Singer. Just you wait..
Old 03-11-2011 | 07:44 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
... To spend that much on a car, I want a little more than a cleaned up 1970's tub. I want modern amenities and technology...
And here I am willing to spend extra not to have them!
Old 03-11-2011 | 11:40 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P1CR
A little more than cleaned up tubs? Ha. If you had any idea what you're talking about..

The body has over 1000 hours of labor in it. Not including the paint, plating, upholstery, outsourced mechanicals (motor, gearbox, etc)..

This will be an exciting year for Singer. Just you wait..
Hey champ, I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I fully appreciate how custom the car is. I know for a fact that the owner of this van put over 1,000 hours of labor in it. So if you don't want it, you have no idea what you're talking about. See how that works?

It ain't my thing, that's all I'm saying.
Old 03-11-2011 | 11:50 AM
Nickmysta
Racer

Hey, that's my van!!
Old 03-11-2011 | 12:10 PM
axl911
Drifting

Is it me or the Excellence article about it several months ago said the while the car looked great, the handling needed further development and the power from the reworked engine didn't move the car with the authority the way it should.
Old 03-11-2011 | 01:12 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

This is actually a cool vid with the man himself. It is spendy and I wouldn't pay this much for a Porsche, but the craftsmanship and attention to detail is admirable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM91zICjcNc
Old 03-11-2011 | 01:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by axl911
Is it me or the Excellence article about it several months ago said the while the car looked great, the handling needed further development and the power from the reworked engine didn't move the car with the authority the way it should.
That was the prototype vehicle and when Singer turned it over to them they informed them that the suspension wasn't dialed yet. The green car that toured the West Coast to a number of shops last Summer is much more sorted.

And the gearboxes are built to customer spec. While the original prototype vehicle was a stock geared G50, the production cars that have been getting built are being regeared with short ratio stacks which make the acceleration much more neck breaking than the first car that Excellence drove.

I would fully expect one of these cars to lap somewhere like Laguna Seca right up there with a modern stock GT3.
Old 03-11-2011 | 03:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
I thought they were built on 964 tubs....
The green one was built on a guards red 1988 tub.
Old 03-11-2011 | 03:57 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
That was the prototype vehicle and when Singer turned it over to them they informed them that the suspension wasn't dialed yet. The green car that toured the West Coast to a number of shops last Summer is much more sorted.
Reading the article again, it seems the Green customer car was not only the photo car for the article but also the car they drove.

I love this thing. This is definitely on my "Cars to buy when I become Dictator" list.
Old 03-11-2011 | 04:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Reading the article again, it seems the Green customer car was not only the photo car for the article but also the car they drove.

I love this thing. This is definitely on my "Cars to buy when I become Dictator" list.
I don't know that I've seen that particular article. I thought you were talking about the article they did on the orange car.
Old 03-11-2011 | 05:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

Actually drove both cars, the orange and the green. The fit and finish improvement in the green car flat blew me away and made me rethink my decision to ditch my business major.

I can easily imagine one in non-metallic dark blue with light gray/blue stripes and oxblood lettering down the doors to match the oxblood interior, or OG Slate Gray with light gray-green stripes and orange lettering and the same green interior seen in the orange car. Does it sound like it worked me over a bit? Oh yes. Spend any time around the Singer 911 and you start to see the possibilities.

Green car shifted well and was quick, but it felt like deceptive speed. That's something of a rotten compliment, as the motor approaches perfection in power delivery if creamy linearity is the goal. But, to me, the car didn't feel as fast as I expected given the numbers quoted. NOTE: I am not saying it doesn't make those numbers. Handling in the green car was far better than in the orange car (!), but still far from sorted, and Rob acknowledged that much.

I hope the Singer 911 continues to evolve. Great vibes, charm that the new Porsches lack, so much mechanical promise, a lot of VERY good suppliers involved, and a rather interesting character seems to be talking to Rob about those beautiful CF bodies....

pete
Old 03-30-2012 | 08:23 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Does any one know where to source those deep dish fuch wheels?
Old 03-30-2012 | 08:49 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
I would fully expect one of these cars to lap somewhere like Laguna Seca right up there with a modern stock GT3.
Since we brought this thread back up from the dead............

On equal tires, a Spec 911 laps Laguna as quickly as a "modern stock GT3." Note the two qualifiers--equal tires, and stock. Hell, Cervelli's old stock class 993 club racer would probably run equal, again on equal tires. That's a stock geared car with a stock 3.6, albeit optimized.

In any case, I wouldn't use Laguna as the benchmark. A fast car can't stretch its legs, and an ill handling one can't really be manhandled around there except maybe to post a single hot lap.
Old 03-31-2012 | 01:34 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...source those deep dish Fuchs wheels? oMenRC51
I've read that Fuchs is taking orders on them (17" Windmills).
Old 03-31-2012 | 01:57 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Good news on the Singer Porsche values! Bruce Anderson of Excellence Magazine has determined that a Singer Porsche is worth a high of $33,000 and a low of $24,000...however, he would allow an extra 10% for low mileage.*

Damien

*This is a parody (for those of you ready to look at your latest issue of Excellence magazine and post that there are no values yet by Bruce for Singer Porsches).

Quick Reply: Singer 911