Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsches that should not use E10 gasoline (10% ethanol), 993 included.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
In an e-mail from Shell Canada...

So for you drivers who can't get Shell V-Power.....
It's great you live in Canada, but most of us live in the U.S. and I don't believe that is true here.

Geolab, so you've been having problems since April 2010 in Europe? I've been putting mostly 10% ethanol gas in my 993 since I bought it in 2006 because that is all that was available in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I did have access for about a year to no ethanol gas when I lived outside of the D/FW metroplex. I am not saying that I don't have any "damage" or the potential for damage to my fuel system, but neither I nor the mechanics who have worked on my car have seen it, and certainly not in less than a year. I do believe that ethanol does have a tendency to dry out rubber hoses over time though.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

shell vpower has ethanol in the US.

Torco is one of the very few octane boosters that actually does something.

it contains a lot of MTBE and some toulene I believe in it.

Then again, its hard to get 87 up to a full 93 octane. That would probably take 3 32oz bottles per full tank to get to 93. Thats expensive.

10% ethanol has been used for years, and I haven't had a problem in the 7 or so years I've seen it around here.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Is this true for U.S Shell? I strictly use Shell V Power in my 993 and if the same is true for the U.S. as Canada that is great news!
Send them an e-mail or call and ask.

Shell US - Contact Us
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez.. ethanol discussions are even worse than "what oil should I use" discussions.

I can only recall folks with 911SCs (CIS injection cars) having true issues when the ethanol was first showing up in the PNW. No doubt accelerated by the fact that their fuel systems were already 20 years old and in need of replacing and a high moisture content which was being absorbed.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Shell V Power 91 in Denver and it is 10% ethanol.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The EPA monitors air quality across the country and areas that don't meet basic standards risk losing federal highway funds. The easiest way for most large SMAs (basically populated areas) to fix marginal air quality is to mandate oxygenated fuels (consider it costs them nothing to make these mandates). MTBE works great as an oxygenator but MTBE has been outlawed in many states (it has leaked from underground storage tanks into groundwater - it's water soluble and a carcinogen) so ethanol is the next best solution for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is it also placates the pro-ethanol lobby. Most major and even minor cities won't be able to avoid ethanol. A few rural areas may still have 100% petro gas now but as more and more refineries convert their production to include ethanol even rural areas will be subjected to ethanol. Better get used to ethanol, it ain't going away.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are products on the market that virtually eliminate the harmfull effects of ethanol if added to your fuel tank every few months ,including the extra carbon it creates in the top end of your engine. I work for for one of them so I wont name it but an internet search would probably uncover some possibilities. I use it in both my 911's .
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess some some states (CA) must mandate ethanol in gas, eh?

Very lucky to have a couple good suppliers locally, Cenex in Issaquah and Bill Waters Spirit in N. Seattle. I don't notice any difference in how the car drives, but I'm glad I have the choice.

Quick Reply: Porsches that should not use E10 gasoline (10% ethanol), 993 included.