Sponsored by:

Flap in fuel filler neck is gone!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flap in fuel filler neck is gone!

Saturday I went to fill up the 993 and add a can of Seafoam. Got my knife out to open the metal flap in the neck of the fill nozzle (so the Seafoam would go in), and it is not there! I have no idea what happened, but I assume it is in my gas tank. I can't think of any damage it could do, so I am not going to worry about it for know.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

hmm, thats odd..perhaps its just stuck open?

either way, it shouldn't cause any issues I don't think.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:47 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Funny. I just noticed the same about my fuel filler neck. Flap isnt visible. . Need to see if it's stuck open. Anyone else experience this or did OP ever find a solution?
Old 08-26-2017, 12:05 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 179 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Flap chat

6 1/2 years since prior post.
Hope not more fuel for the all electric lobby.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:36 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
can't think of any damage it could do, so I am not going to worry about it for now."
I'm very impressed with your attitude! Many Porsche owners would be making a big flap over this, but I admire your perspective. As in the old saying goes:

“Accept the things I should not fix, have the courage to fix the things I must and have the wisdom to know the difference”

"
Old 09-06-2017, 09:33 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fuel filler flapper

Originally Posted by GBX
Funny. I just noticed the same about my fuel filler neck. Flap isnt visible. . Need to see if it's stuck open. Anyone else experience this or did OP ever find a solution?
Mine also was stuck open. Didnt think a flap existed for the whole time I owned this car. It gets stuck when the fuel pump nozzle is jammed into the throat and torqued upward if you rest the fuel pump nozzle in the throat. This could have been the root cause of the fuel smell I could never mitigate from my cabin when I would fill the tank. There is a metal divider down beyond the flap that bends easily upward and prevents the flat from closing. Use a flat head screw driver to bend the divider downwards and the flap will once again reveal itself and close. Do not pry the flap itself. Easiest repair in decades.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:10 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Okay... this gas filler flap business. I can't leave well enough alone. Mine is stuck open as well. Is the piece of metal that arcs upward and catches the flap really a divider? I've bent mine down enough to clear the flap bottom edge but there is a curled flange on each side of the "divider" that still catches the sides of the flap allowing it to close only halfway. I cannot figure out how to relieve the curl on the divider to allow clearance.

The "divider" is now bent almost flush with the wall of the filler pipe. It does not divide the opening. Is it supposed to? I'm thinking about whether or not I'll have gas splashing back at the next fill up.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:08 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbeggs
Okay... this gas filler flap business. I can't leave well enough alone. Mine is stuck open as well. Is the piece of metal that arcs upward and catches the flap really a divider? I've bent mine down enough to clear the flap bottom edge but there is a curled flange on each side of the "divider" that still catches the sides of the flap allowing it to close only halfway. I cannot figure out how to relieve the curl on the divider to allow clearance.

The "divider" is now bent almost flush with the wall of the filler pipe. It does not divide the opening. Is it supposed to? I'm thinking about whether or not I'll have gas splashing back at the next fill up.
Ok. I used an endoscope to peek at the divider. IMO, it's there to limit the fuel pump filler nozzle from diving too deep into the filler tube. It appears to be mounted by its curled ends on either side and should bisect the filler tube opening.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:18 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I had the same problem. Learned of this after I bought a new filler neck. Saw that it had a flap and thought they'd added it to the newer design. Then I tried my first fill up with the new neck and was surprised the nozzle would only go in a few inches. Thought the new one was defective because it had a divider right across the diameter. Then I finally looked at my old one and saw that it also had a divider that had been bent over to one side by years of nozzle cramming - and it had a flap that was caught in the open "invisible" position.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:24 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

deleted double post
Old 09-06-2017, 05:29 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

So does a filler with the divider bisecting the opening allow the nozzle to go deep enough to remain unattended while filling?

Is it possible to take a picture of an unmolested filler neck? I'm curious as to what needs to be done to free up the flap. I assume the curls on the sides that are hanging up the flap were out of the way at one time. I'm not too keen on over leveraging the damn thing.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:49 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, oddly enough, I've had no problems with auto shut off even with the shallow divider. I suspect the divider was added because the neck is plastic and if the nozzle goes in all the way, the weight of the hose would press the tip up against the plastic internal back of the neck and crack it over time.

I'll see if I can get good photos of my old one - which I easily straightened to match the new one.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:03 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbeggs
So does a filler with the divider bisecting the opening allow the nozzle to go deep enough to remain unattended while filling?

Is it possible to take a picture of an unmolested filler neck? I'm curious as to what needs to be done to free up the flap. I assume the curls on the sides that are hanging up the flap were out of the way at one time. I'm not too keen on over leveraging the damn thing.
It's not the curls on mine. They don't impede the flap, its the middle of the divider plate that hits the flap when bent upward.
Attached Images  

Last edited by flyingchappy; 09-06-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:46 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

This is good information.

Hmm...What's involved in replacing the the filler neck?
PN. 993 201 043 00.

Thanks for your help guys

-rb
Old 09-06-2017, 09:24 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 111 Posts

Huh...my 993 had the same thing. I didn't even realize there was a flap in there until I looked close. Bent the divider back down and the flap snapped back closed.

Thanks rennlist!

Quick Reply: Flap in fuel filler neck is gone!