Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need PPI recommendation in Modesto CA , ASAP!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need PPI recommendation in Modesto CA , ASAP!

help guys.

We found a nice 993 at a nice price, but its at a dealership. This is our first time going through this process. How does it usually work?

It seems like there is a lot of interest on the car right now since there are couple parties that were looking at it at the same time we were there.

they said we could buy it and have 48 hrs to do ppi or whatever and return it if anything is wrong.... but they won't move on the price.

or they said we could have a mechanics pick it up and do the test somehow...

eitherway, if i buy it first or do the test first, i'll need a PPI place around Modesto, CA as soon as possible.

my understanding is that the ppi can be a bargaining point ? so doing the test first would be wiser choice except i'll be running the risk of losing it to some other buyer in the meantime

I don't know, but this is very exciting moment when it is that close to getting our first 993. Any advice would be great!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Halcyon
Racer

not a lot of mechanics go pick up the car right? The only one I found from searching around on this forum is Tony Amon o.O But he is in San Jose... that would be quite a drive to modesto for him even if he says he'll do it ( will call tomorrow to see ) ... what would you guys do when you are in this situation where the car is 80 miles at a dealership from where you live?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

If the dealership is giving you a 48 hr. return policy, then you have nothing to lose. Buy and drive it to the shop that does the PPI. Let the dealer know in advance you'll be driving 160 miles round trip. Also have a clear understanding with the dealer what the purpose of the PPI represents. Will the dealer pay for or compensate you if the PPI reveals mechanical or other issues? Discuss these issues upfront so everyone is on the same page.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

just my opinion but once you pay the dealer for the car good luck negotiating anything! and returning the car might not be so easy (and some of my best friends are car dealers but still....) being in a rush to buy a car is never ideal. don't let the dealer push you into a deal before the car has been inspected. just my thoughts - others may have a different view!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Halcyon
Racer

deadhead and stace, you both have good points here. we walked away today we couldn't get the price to move at all, and if we commit to buy, i'll be stuck at that price whatever that ppi comes out to be. And as stace say, it'll be impossible to try to come up with any sort of agreement to lower the price even if some bad stuff pop up from the ppi , when already , technically the car is already mine that was bought at the original price..

so I guess my best choice would be to remotely have a mechanic to go do a ppi over there, and negotiate price based on that result , before committing to anything...
which seems hard , right? cuz mechanics usually dont go pick up a car from the dealership, and the dealership, without any commitment, wouldn't really want to hand a car over to a mechanic ....
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I think an honest dealer wouldn't mind running a car over to a nearby and reputable shop for a PPI. if that would further the deal. these aren't used Hondas and people who buy them are often careful and informed buyers. I bought mine from a private party (that I think sold a number of cars) remotely - he dropped it at a nearby shop. I paid over the phone with my credit card and they emailed me a summary of their findings. not that complicated really.

good luck - if the dealer won't take it to a shop reasonably close by - keep looking...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This the tip w/ 130K for $20K? Not sure exactly what you're expecting at that price point...............

In any case, check with Ron Kain @ IPB in Sacramento. You'll get an honest assessment from a guy with lots of air cooled experience. (Used to race against him with his 914/6. He bought Dwight Mitchell's shop way back when.)
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Well, I do expect a not so troublesome car....
Sacramento is quite far from Modesto, but thanks, i'll keep that in mind
The problem is, it'll either have to be close enough for the dealership to bring it over there( which would be tough to do actually ) , or have a mechanic pick it up.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Which it may or may not be. I just don't really see the point of a 993 at that price point unless you're seriously DIY/experienced. If that's the top of your budget, that's dangerous territory for any Porsche. If that's not the top of your budget, find a much, much, much nicer car for 20-30% more. It will always be worth more on the back end, unless you're driving it to end-of-life.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Halcyon
Racer

price is quite questionable indeed, but we wouldn't know if it is in fact a bad car until a PPI is done. 1. if its really bad, i just walk away and lose nothing. 2 . if its good, i will be a very lucky happy guy driving away in a 993 : )
doesn't hurt to find out about this car even though the price is low, instead of skipping right over these assuming they are all bad at this price range , right
so if this doesnt work, i'll move up to the next price range of 993 n see what i can find there
i figure if its cheap, the difference of a cheap 993 n fair priced 993 COULD maybe cover the repair cost so its worth a shot.

anyway, modesto /mobile ppi , need one asap before someone snipe up that 993 xD
Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

And a five minute visual will tell you if it's worth the next step. At that mileage, cosmetic condition + the set of records the car has will tell you 90+% of what you need to know. Is this a make-or-break depending on what the leakdown numbers are? Unless there's record of the valve guides being replaced you know they're due. If they've been done, what's the fail point on buying? That the steering rack may be leaking or it needs brakes? You can't expect a lot on the low price outliers.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Halcyon
Racer

well , we tested the car and it drove just fine, and looks great. But how can you tell if its "complete" service record is actually complete? carfax looks clean. So it really comes down to that PPI to see/ confirm what has been done and what needs to be done to it soon or sometime in the future. At least, if the PPI tells me i'll need a top end rebuilt the next mile I move that car, I have a bargain point at the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need PPI recommendation in Modesto CA , ASAP!