Sponsored by:

OT: People, their money and how to write ads

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
I agree with the OP and find it hilarious that he made grammatical mistakes in his post. Not only do I find that many RLrs can't spell, but many are just ignorant. One example is in the OT forum someone quoted a very familiar passage from the Declaration of Independence or Constitution and someone chided him for not posting the reference. It also drives me crazy when people do not capitalize. A frequent poster on OT never capitalizes and separates his sentences on different lines I usually discount his ideas. If he does not have the decency to use the conventions of written language properly, I, rightly or wrongly, feel that his reasoning is also suspect.

I have come to excuse typos and such as we do live in a fast paced world, and many of us try to post from Blackberries and Droids. But I do not excuse the disrespect of the language that the Internet era has brought.

Hope my english were good!

I have come to excuse
irregardless of what you said i ain't changing wurd.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Well, I guess you don't really need to have an English Literature Master degree to be sucessful in life.
I don't think spelling simple words properly entails having a Master's Degree in English.

It may, however, require a command of English at a 3rd grade level
Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

While we are getting "all high and mighty" in this string, I hate how now it is acceptable to end a sentence with the word "at". Seems as though everyone says it, even teachers.

Where is my 993 at? Argh, I just hate it.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Which begs the question:

Does knowing how to properly spell both "high" and "mighty" make someone appear to be acting high and mighty? If so, methinks we've set the bar rather low in our society, it seems
Old 02-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides the grammar and spelling it just reads very bizarre. Clearly not a car guy.

I guess it's a long wheel base A8?
Ho2 what?
Five Point?
Solid, that's what billet is.
The price is what it is becasue he has $7000 in reciepts. Okay, maybe that's how it works in your world.
Why it was necessary to mention paladium in the cats is beyond me.
Who is this Winchester feller?
Seeing is believing. I don't see anything!

Trust me I have seen plenty worse than that.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texas993
While we are getting "all high and mighty" in this string, I hate how now it is acceptable to end a sentence with the word "at". Seems as though everyone says it, even teachers.

Where is my 993 at? Argh, I just hate it.
I hate people who use the word gender when it really should be the word sex.
Whoever started that nonsense should have their face kicked off. I am sure it had something to do with PC and not to offend anyone.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
irregardless
From Websters:

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
From Websters:

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
Agreed, it is just regardless.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

I see those ads as a sign of an open society.
read through rennlist, ferrarichat or some other high end car or home or toy forum and you'll find tons of people that can afford to throw away cash on toys yet couldn't pass 8th grade english.
isn't it great that some guy that dropped out of high school now owns a trucking company, or makes millions flipping properties?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
The irony here was just too funny to let go...

Edit: looks like 'fnckr' beat me to it.
It is, funny, I agree. I have a built-in excuse of being a furriner

The point, though, is not about spelling. If you read the ad... I ask myself about the person's ability to function, let alone get enough money to buy a car.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
From Websters:

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
irregardless of what you said i ain't changing wurd.
Originally Posted by Makmov
Agreed, it is just regardless.

Just funning ya!

Besides, my 20 something niece corrected that little speech imperfection many years ago.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The older our cars get, the worser the grammer gets.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate how now it is acceptable to end a sentence with the word "at".
+1. I especially love it when it's used in a sentence (if you can call it that) like "Where at?"

cadilator
Sounds like a part that came off a "Cabolac", maybe a DeVille.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Number one pet peeve - "so fun". Reading it or hearing it causes my brain to freeze. My parents drilled into my head that it is, 'so much fun' and that 'so fun' is never correct. Thanks Mom and Dad.

I do find it amusing when people feel they have climbed high enough up the grammar ladder and are now ready to move on to sharing metaphors. In a recent conversation an acquaintance reminded us that we, "shouldn't put all our chips in one basket".
Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 PM
timabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a C- world.

That about sums it up.

Quick Reply: OT: People, their money and how to write ads