Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I've had it with State Farm - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I've had it with State Farm - Suggestions?

Ok, so I've been with State Farm for 27 years and until the past 6 months thought that there was value in that. Then we moved to Atlanta and things started going south. First they cancelled my umbrella policy because I have two moving violations and my wife had a minor accident. Then I tried to get some sort of stated value policy or limited use policy for the TT and they said they would not cover it as classic/antique or stated value. Now I get a notice in the mail that they are canceling my multi-car discount on my DD (I insure 5 cars, our home and two rental properties).

Any suggestions? Is Allstate good? I've heard some complain about them. Others? I'd prefer to insure all with one company. Really wanted a stated value on the TT.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

From what I understand insurance companies are all great until there is a problem. I am with Erie and am happy with them but have not needed them yet.......knock on wood.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

for my p-cars, leland west has been great. they let you take it to the office up to 2X per week.. stated values.. great pricing. Leland gets my vote.

I previously had all cars insured with Statefarm for the multicar discount. When I see how little my premium increased for my daily alone, I realized how little the multicar discount really saved me. Though it is a pain to deal with multiple insurance companies, in the end, the stated value and lower premiums make it worth it. My two cents
Old 02-13-2011, 11:36 AM
GreaserMofo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have State Farm and was pissed as well. I got a speeding ticket and not completely stopping while turning right. My insurance for my Porsche, Magnum and Triumph jumped up to $350.00 per month. I found my Porsche was listed as my daily driver. The tickets can be applied to one car (in California at least) and I moved them to the Magnum. I recently moved to a "lower risk area" and this paired with the adjustment got me around $280.00 per month. My agent is pretty cool and quite helpful.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
Ok, so I've been with State Farm for 27 years and until the past 6 months thought that there was value in that.
Surely, you jest!

Insurance companies aren't in the business of insurance, they are in the business of making money and their greatest ability is that they are masters of fine print.

I'm amazed how many advertising dollars they have. Ever watch the AMC channel.

Insurance and banks are controlled by a tightly knit group of shady individuals whom I have no use for...no further comment.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

My insurance is Grundy Worldwide for my 993. I've never insured under the same policy as my daily drivers. They seem great to work with (although I've never had a claim in 8 years). For an insured value of $35,000, the annual premium is around $500. I live near NYC...so for you it might even be less.

The other "classic car insurance company" I've used is Leland West. Both companies seem comparable although I believe Leland West has a two tier mileage policy; 2,500 & 5,000 miles per year. The premium difference is only around $100. Grundy has no mileage restriction although the Porsche can't be your daily driver, has to be in a enclosed/garage space and a few other reasonable requirements.

Edit: I just checked my policy. Agreed value is $33,000, annual policy is $462 and coverage is $100k/250k, liability/personal injury respectively.

Last edited by deadhead1960; 02-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Thanks for the input guys. I may check out Leland for the porsche. I'm in the process of getting quotes from Allstate for everything else. Open to suggestions for other insurance companies.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
My insurance is Grundy Worldwide for my 993. I've never insured under the same policy as my daily drivers. They seem great to work with (although I've never had a claim in 8 years). For an insured value of $35,000, the annual premium is around $500. I live near NYC...so for you it might even be less.

The other "classic car insurance company" I've used is Leland West. Both companies seem comparable although I believe Leland West has a two tier mileage policy; 2,500 & 5,000 miles per year. The premium difference is only around $100. Grundy has no mileage restriction although the Porsche can't be your daily driver, has to be in a enclosed/garage space and a few other reasonable requirements.
+1 with Grundy. Search here for "agreed value," then start getting quotes. I have State Farm for the DDs, home and personal items and receive discounts across the board. I have an agent who knows me, BUT...I've never made a claim.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See if you qualify for usaa. Hands down the best there is.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry that State Farm let you down. Sounds like their practices have changed with regard to tickets. My premium never went up despite my indiscretions as a newbie 993 owner. We've been with our agent for 24 years now and have three cars, two houses, two life, and one umbrella with him. I wonder if changing agents would result in a better outcome for you.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Sorry that State Farm let you down. Sounds like their practices have changed with regard to tickets. My premium never went up despite my indiscretions as a newbie 993 owner. We've been with our agent for 24 years now and have three cars, two houses, two life, and one umbrella with him. I wonder if changing agents would result in a better outcome for you.
Yea, I've wondered about that also. This new State Farm agent has all but said, "don't let the door hit your *** on the way out". My other agent in WI was great.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had the same experience with State Farm and the agent could care less that we are shifting to other companies.

We went through Allied via our Wells Fargo Ins broker. Good so far...we will see what is up when we have a claim...

Good Luck
Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Mercury Insurance has been cheap and good to me so far.

But good advice is to always shop around every time your insurance comes up for renewal. You'd be surprised at how different the rates can be for the same coverage.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:35 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by insite
See if you qualify for usaa. Hands down the best there is.
+1
Been with them since '67.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in ATL as well. I have cotton states....and have been for over 10 years. Rates are competitive and they don't bitch about claims.

2 minor fender benders (me)
1 minor accident (wife)
Water Leak in house - entire downstairs hardwoods replaced
Roof Replaced

How much did any of my rates go up? $0
Did they drop me? No

So I have life, auto, home, umbrella with them.

Quick Reply: I've had it with State Farm - Suggestions?