Newbie Needs Help Evaluating Car for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Art5oh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Needs Help Evaluating Car for Sale

Hello All:

I just registered as a paid member; am coming from BMW 3 series coupes (spoiled by maint. plan) and have been bitten by the Porsche 993 bug in the past 2 weeks. I just saw this car and wanted to ask for input from the group.

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/featured/ads.cgi?db=aporsche&website=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=o n&results_format=long&db_id=10383&query=retrieval[/URL]

After reviewing the thread of recent transactions, to my untrained eyes this car / condition / price look pretty good. Why do you guys think?

Can anyone recommend a PPI for NJ, area code 201 or do a Rennfax?

Thanks,

Arthur
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very nice, but...

-Get a PPI.

-I'd lower it & put some MY'02's on it. (That will cost you another few thousand) But you caould also leave it as is.

Have you driven a 993 yet? I'd let you drive mine but we're at opposite ends of the country!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:46 PM
wolf76
Instructor

That's a members car here. It seems to be in very nice shape and very well priced. +1 on the PPI. R.O.C.S in Belleville N.J. is a good shop (973) 844-1274 as is Powertech in Rockaway (973) 586-3210 and Autohaus in Chatham (973) 701-8300. I am still very new to the 993 (bought mine in November) so my eye is not yet as trained as many on this site for a Rennfax.

Chris
Old 02-05-2011, 02:47 PM
wolf76
Instructor

Also as Paul said drive as many examples as you can.

Chris
Old 02-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Art5oh
AutoX

Paul, Chris:

Thanks for the input and the PPI referrals.
I have to decide on this clean stock car vs one that's already has mods.

Arthur
Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arthur:

Difficult question to answer. I guess it depends on 1) what you're going to do with the car and 2) which mods matter to you. If you will use it as a daily driver, those low miles will disappear fast, and you might want to think real hard about lowering it (scraping) but if it's going to be a weekender, go for it.

FWIW, the mods I have made are;

Turbo front bumper- looks cool but doesn't change anything else.

MY'02 rims- handles better, looks way better.

Golden Rod shifter linkage- Improves shifting by a huge amount.

Lowered on PSS10's. Massive improvement in handling (which is adjustable) and looks.

The rest is small stuff. They all add up to make the car handle better.

Keep us posted!

Paul.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Art5oh
Paul, Chris:

Thanks for the input and the PPI referrals.
I have to decide on this clean stock car vs one that's already has mods.

Arthur
certainly buying a car with the mods you like, will save you a few $$ over doing the mods yourself...but

look for your desired color choices both interior and exterior, and condition first. Options cost money, but are easier and cheaper to change than color's and condition.

Learn as much as you can about the cars, search on this forum is your friend.

Good luck with your search, and congratulations...you just became a dues paying member in the best 993 resource in the world...IMHO
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Art5oh
AutoX

Paul K, Magdaddy:

Thanks for the input guys. The comment about focusing on color and condition vs mods makes sense.

I intend to use the car daily at first with some occasional HPDE track events. I'm interested in aesthetics and ride quality (on the firm side). I have my homework cut out for me.

With all that said I may have lucked out and saved myself months of shopping as this car (above) looks like it stacks up pretty well to others on the market and based on recent sales. Hopefully I'll join the owner's community in earnest soon.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
ande5000
Rennlist Member

Art5oh....Good luck with your search. Sounds like you may have found your car already....as others have said, a PPI from a reputable shop is essential.

993s are already pushing 13+ years of age, so unless you find (and can afford) a pampered, climate-control-stored, <20k mile garage queen, expect some degree of imperfection. Again, a PPI will help you sort out what issues are major, minor and somewhere in-between. And there will be issues.

Other than getting a PPI, best advice I received before buying my '96 C2 was to leave it stock (assuming the car you buy is stock) and drive / live with it awhile as God and Porsche intended, before stepping off the mod slippery slope (for many it's a cliff). This will help you establish a baseline for future mods, and what constitutes improvement vs. regression, based on your personal tastes and how you use the car.

Best of luck, and please let us know how your search ends up!

Last edited by ande5000; 02-07-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
samsnead
Pro

I can take a look for you if you want, just shoot me a PM

Weather has been horrible here, so I would assume it would be a visual inspection only.

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Help Evaluating Car for Sale