ISV Cleaning and Connector Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISV Cleaning and Connector Adjustment

First of all Rennlist is awesome.

Second - With all the work I've had done to my car lately and the ECU reprogram from Todd (Protomotive), my car was stalling way to easily/often. SPEC clutch and LWF (wish I didn't choose this setup long back). The shop had no idea how to resolve the stalling issue, told me to change the way I drive instead.

I cleaned the ISV, wow was it nasty and stuck with the carbon build up. Ran and idle'd much better but still stalled. Seems like this will now be a part of normal maintenance with oil changes.

I took the next step and turned the ISV internal a small amount counter clockwise (opening up the valve a bit more). The idle came up nicely but if the RPM's raised over 2k, they would stay up there and never come down.

(My ISV is behind the new Intercooler so I have to remove it for each adjustment.)

Adjusted it back towards the original scribe mark a bit and now the idle is about 850 or so and no issues with rev'ing above 2k.

It's raining here in Atlanta tonight but I'm looking forward to a test drive tomorrow when it's dry.

Thanks again guys in history sharing info.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oz,

Have you or the shop check for vacuum leak?

How is your idle? Lumpy?

I have a LWF with the TPC SC also. I don't have stalling issues, but I have to do the following:

With the original TPC configuration, one of the oil tank line goes into the intake boot while the other one is left open. This creates a massive vacuum leak. I went ahead and just left both oil lines from the oil tank open and capped off where it went into the rubber intake boot. This sealed the system up.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop did find and fix a number of leaks once the IC was put on. They'd address one leak and the pressure would present another. This went on for a few weeks but finally everything was sealed up and all the boost went to the wheels instead of leaks.

I started the car today and the RPM "pulsed" just below 1k like a heartbeat for a while. After I drove about 15 miles or so, it ended up being stable just below 1k.

It's perfect now. Extremely smooth at idle, ZERO stalling issues despite me trying all types of driving conditions to get it to stall.

Again, Rennlist is awesome.

Quick Reply: ISV Cleaning and Connector Adjustment