993 Forum 1995-1998

OBD II Testers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
The SR500 is now tucked away in the basement, preserved well and the V-Max is ready in the garage, I'll take it out by April or May.
The SR500 reminds me a bit of the Honda GB500, both have that simplistic look of earlier British bikes...except they are reliable.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Really need OBD2 101 primer.

Appreciate all the responses to this posted topic; however being a mechanical sort of guy, I was really looking for some narrative that explains the codes, and provides some interpretation of what needs to be fixed based upon individual or multiple codes. I'm afraid that the discussion threads about the electronics are a bit above my head.

Perhaps I am being too simplistic. I was looking for a recommendation on a scan tool to purchase and some description of how to interpret the codes that are read out of the device. Sounds like Tore may have some hardware on his website, but may require a laptop in order to use. Is that the normal case that laptops need to be used in conjunction with the code reader? Sorry for really showing my ignorance here.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Is that the normal case that laptops need to be used in conjunction with the code reader?
No.

I have a an Equus 3030 Inova OBD II code reader that I use for my Honda and I read the codes right off the display. I then reset the Check Engine Light.

On the code reader I have for my 1995 Porsche, yes.

You have a 1998, someone further up this thread recommended an OBD II code reader.

Quick Reply: OBD II Testers